At last some good news! :-)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
My youngest has just passed the final hurdle and has been "highly recommended" for Officer Training in the Royal Australian Navy. He joins in July. His 3 older brothers will be plssed having only reached the ranks of Segeant Major in the British Army. Can't wait to hear the chat between 'em when he's commissioned 😂

WT21

Super Moderator
My youngest has just passed the final hurdle and has been "highly recommended" for Officer Training in the Royal Australian Navy. He joins in July. His 3 older brothers will be plssed having only reached the ranks of Segeant Major in the British Army. Can't wait to hear the chat between 'em when he's commissioned 😂
Congrats! And a steady income (in times of uncertainty)!

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
'
'
Even more happy for him now as he was just laid off from his position as personal Trainer/Gym Manager of 2 Gyms. At least he's got something to look forward to. Before he locked up both, he had to break the news to all his staff that they were out of a job and said it was the most miserable time of his life. His job's being held open without pay but I doubt that any buusiness will be back and up running before his enlistment date. Now I can't get my bloody car into the garage as it's full of barbells etc! :)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You could lift the barbells out the way, Kevin?

And then put them back in again.

And lift them out again.

And then lift them back in again - and so on.

I think that's how it works :D
@Macroramphosis Roddy mate, I couldn't even lift the bar let alone when they've got 75 kilo weights on each end! :) I'm off out now to wet a line on a deserted beach and hopefully find a sea eagle to photograph. With my luck I'll get pulled over for "travelling unnecessarily"

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@Macroramphosis Roddy mate, I couldn't even lift the bar let alone when they've got 75 kilo weights on each end! :) I'm off out now to wet a line on a deserted beach and hopefully find a sea eagle to photograph. With my luck I'll get pulled over for "travelling unnecessarily"
But isn't that fishing, for dinner?
So it would be essential activity.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Awesome news for you Kev.
I tried for exact same thing in 1970’s. They didn’t think I was officer issue though... idiots!

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just got back from his first sea trip on HMAS Adelaide

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I was in ROTC in college, was offered a scholarship to medical school for the Navy, and turned it down because it required too many years of service. I then enlisted in the Army, was assigned to the Army Security Agency, and was offered a transfer to OCS but added years to the time I had to serve. I did not do it and served my three years and was discharged as a sergeant in three years. After law school, I received a call asking me to come back into the service with the rank of Captain. I again decided against going back into the service and started my practice. Over the years, I did well in private practice and made more money than I would have in the Army. After many years of law, I have retired and now I appreciate the benefits I would have had if I had gone back to the service as an officer. One of my lawyer friends just retired and has his social security, his pension from his large law firm, and his pension and benefits including really good medical. I am now rethinking my past. :)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was in ROTC in college, was offered a scholarship to medical school for the Navy, and turned it down because it required too many years of service. I then enlisted in the Army, was assigned to the Army Security Agency, and was offered a transfer to OCS but added years to the time I had to serve. I did not do it and served my three years and was discharged as a sergeant in three years. After law school, I received a call asking me to come back into the service with the rank of Captain. I again decided against going back into the service and started my practice. Over the years, I did well in private practice and made more money than I would have in the Army. After many years of law, I have retired and now I appreciate the benefits I would have had if I had gone back to the service as an officer. One of my lawyer friends just retired and has his social security, his pension from his large law firm, and his pension and benefits including really good medical. I am now rethinking my past. :)
Don't rethink Mel. It'll drive you crazy. I have never been as happy in any of my jobs as a civilian as I was in the service. OTOH, my 3 older boys went in as apprentices aged 16, (I joined at 15 as you could back in '64). They served in Signals and the skills they gained there in IT have served them all well as civilian IT contractors after they left. The strange thing is that their old army jobs are now outsourced and they are working on the same defence contracts as civilians earning more than double that the service paid! Their annual security clearance is the only real contact that they have with the Army and they work mostly from home.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I find it interesting that the RAN kept the ski jump, when the had the HMAS Adelaide built.
That is a lot of deck space that they can't use for a helicopter.
Maybe to keep the option of using a VSTOL aircraft.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I find it interesting that the RAN kept the ski jump, when the had the HMAS Adelaide built.
That is a lot of deck space that they can't use for a helicopter.
Maybe to keep the option of using a VSTOL aircraft.
Apparently it was down to cost. Removing it from the original design would have altered the vessels handling dramatically and would have been costly to correct

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Don’t we all rethink our past? Hindsight would be the perfect superpower.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom