At a 'March for Life' on the National Mall

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by the_traveler, May 12, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    At a 'March for Life' on the National Mall

Second shot is at a follow on demonstration and counter demonstration in front of the US Supreme Court.

p640158233-5.

p491024980-5.

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Some nice editorial stuff there. Did you get more?

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I did, but those I liked the most.

(In general, I think posting lots of less-good pictures on a similar theme just dilutes the 'goodness' of the better ones. (and believe me I have lots of less than good ones.))

4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Best thing about the first image: Inclusion of the background sign which makes a commercial comment on the political one. Or am I cynical?
    Tight crop and shallow dof focuses the eye on the essentials. Very nice.

Best thing about the second image: Body type/apparent age of the two marchers tells the story. Not that it couldn't be reversed but the young woman might have a more immediate interest in her message. The older woman might have a more ideological interest in her message. And that seems to fit the idea here rather than the opposite.
    One thing that I don't like about street photography (and this is more a personal peeve than anything) is when the person photographed is looking at the photographer/camera. I prefer candid over self-conscious and here, the young woman's smile strikes me as a bit self-conscious. But it doesn't necessarily detract from the image.

5. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Thanks for the detailed look and comments, Caimi.

I would have liked better tones on the second particularly but lighting on the Mall and Capital Hill is often-times difficult as the sun rises in the only shooting direction and the demonstrations are usually scheduled for midday or close to attract attention.

Lew

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    If only the light would cooperate with our shooting (and demonstrating) schedules!
    I wonder if dodging just the young woman's face would help the overall backlit scene or look unnatural.

7. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Unfortunately her face is in deep shadow and lightening only brought up the noise, but thanks.

Lew

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The two images go well together. So many contrasts.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Journalistic shots for sure!

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - The sun can be terribly uncooperative at times! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.