1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

At a 'March for Life' on the National Mall

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by the_traveler, May 12, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    At a 'March for Life' on the National Mall

Second shot is at a follow on demonstration and counter demonstration in front of the US Supreme Court.

p640158233-5.

p491024980-5.

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Some nice editorial stuff there. Did you get more?

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I did, but those I liked the most.

(In general, I think posting lots of less-good pictures on a similar theme just dilutes the 'goodness' of the better ones. (and believe me I have lots of less than good ones.))

4. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Best thing about the first image: Inclusion of the background sign which makes a commercial comment on the political one. Or am I cynical?
    Tight crop and shallow dof focuses the eye on the essentials. Very nice.

Best thing about the second image: Body type/apparent age of the two marchers tells the story. Not that it couldn't be reversed but the young woman might have a more immediate interest in her message. The older woman might have a more ideological interest in her message. And that seems to fit the idea here rather than the opposite.
    One thing that I don't like about street photography (and this is more a personal peeve than anything) is when the person photographed is looking at the photographer/camera. I prefer candid over self-conscious and here, the young woman's smile strikes me as a bit self-conscious. But it doesn't necessarily detract from the image.

5. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Thanks for the detailed look and comments, Caimi.

I would have liked better tones on the second particularly but lighting on the Mall and Capital Hill is often-times difficult as the sun rises in the only shooting direction and the demonstrations are usually scheduled for midday or close to attract attention.

Lew

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    If only the light would cooperate with our shooting (and demonstrating) schedules!
    I wonder if dodging just the young woman's face would help the overall backlit scene or look unnatural.

7. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Unfortunately her face is in deep shadow and lightening only brought up the noise, but thanks.

Lew

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The two images go well together. So many contrasts.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Journalistic shots for sure!

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - The sun can be terribly uncooperative at times! :biggrin: