Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kanasgowatom, Mar 7, 2013.

1. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Hello all,
    Has anyone ever had any experience using a four thirds camera, for long exposures? For some reason, I think that heat would be a problem. Also, are there any manufactureers, that make camera to telescope adaptors?

Thank you,
    Tom Franzson
  2. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I've done 10 minute exposures on my E-PL5 without any problems, though I don't know if you consider that long. It was 20 minutes total really as the noise reduction was on (exposed again with the shutter closed.) There are T-mount adapters for u43 (I have one with my mirror lens) and I see plenty of telescope clamps, rigs etc on Amazon.
  3. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I've done a few shots with exposures up to 4 minutes. My problem is that I've done mostly visual stuff so far, so my big dob isn't really the right type of scope for photography.

As for adapters, I picked up the T-minus 2" adapter from these guys: TELESCOPE CAMERA ADAPTERS |

Oh, and Live Time mode is excellent for astro work, you can see the image getting better and better as it accumulates photons, and can decide when to stop based on how it looks.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. theoberheim

theoberheim Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2012
    Portland, Ore.

Tom, these people can help you out:

I have done some astrophotography with the PEN to Meade ETX camera adapter - mainly moon photos. I am hoping to do some more in July/August when the weather is better. I have also done some wide angle star fields with the kit lens.

Sagita (Note this is one of my first attempts and I have not mastered the focus yet. There is also a lot of noise in the photo)

Here is a shot of the moon and Jupiter.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I do't do astrophotography, but those who do it tell me that the in camera RAW stacking of the GH3 makes it the new must have for serious astrophotography.
  6. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX

Did that one using, IIRC, my Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 on my OM-D EM-5. That's a 1 second exposure at f/2. I did a few long exposures using dad's old Minolta 58mm f/1.4 and a Canon FD mount 70-150mm f/4.5 that came out pretty good. I don't have them posted online anywhere.
  7. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    There should opportunities for getting images of comet PanStarrs over the next few days. Given that it is hanging low on the horizon, compositions with houses, hill or trees and such can be included to add perspective. That's my goal at least.
    FWIW, I've been unsuccessful in my own efforts to see this comet thus far, primarily due to cloudy atmospheric conditions and a poor view of the horizon. It sucks being in a heavily urbanized area (NoVa) for this kind of photography. This comet's location so low on the horizon only adds difficulty. I'm going to continue trying to get some images nonetheless but it's going to require driving further west on my part.

If anyone is getting photos of this comet perhaps they could start a dedicated thread. People in the Southern Hemisphere have already produced some good images of this comet.
    This link gives some idea of what others are getting thus far image-wise. A search on flickr has good stuff too.

Given decent conditions and a clear view of the horizon, this should be a nice opportunity to use a four thirds camera on a bonafide (and transient) celestial object. The Oly 75mm or Panny 35-100 would be good lens choices for this.