1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Astrophotography with the P12-32 f/3.5

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Generationfourth, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I have a lockdown on my budget so I can't buy the PL15, or 12mm 2.0 that I was looking into. I've tried to shoot astro with my 20mm but it's not wide enough. I'm shooting with a GM5.

I was thinking of trying to use the 12-32mm but I'm not sure how to work around it's slow speed.

Any tips?

2. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    Considering the 20mm has a much larger aperture (f/1.7 vs f/3.5), I'd go with the 20mm. With that said, the GM5 has a new sensor thus you may not have a need for a high f/stop when you can crank up the ISO.

Either way, grab both of them and experiment, decide what results are most pleasing to you. Experimenting is what makes photography fun. Oh and steer away from GAS! Its deadly!

• Like Like x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't find 12mm wide enough either for wide field astro landscapes. TBH I use my 7.5FE for that purpose far more than my PL15. The 7.5FE is usable at f/3.5 and due to such a wide FoV you can go up to 20-30s without star trails at ISO1600.

Edit: GM5 - doh, electronic shutter only with the 7.5FE... reduced DR and more noise

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Yeah I've tried with the 20mm and it works pretty well because it's fast. The downside is the narrow FOV for composing and resulting star trails after 15-20 seconds. I guess I'll just spend some time experimenting. I thought about stitching shots together with the 20mm but that would be a lot of PP footwork. Old me would've ordered a new lens by now but I have three more months before I can make a purchase so I'm just dealing with what I have.

So it looks like after the PL15 I should be looking for something in the 7-9mm range? and are you saying that the GM5 only shoots electronic shutter with third party/adapted lenses? interesting limitation.

5. wjiang

Yeah I have a GM5...

6. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Normally the bit depth difference doesn't bother me that much. With astrophotography does the e-shutter make that much of a difference in quality?

7. wjiang

With astrophotography you're always pushing the limits, so every little bit counts. With wide field, there's often a big difference between dark and light areas requiring pushing and pulling and generally lots of adjustment in PP. Interestingly my GM5 shows less noise with mechanical noise for long exposures > 1 minute than my E-M1 but I haven't compared with the electronic shutter yet.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You work around it the same way that you would for any other type of photography. You use some combination of longer shutter speed and higher ISO. That means noisier images and struggles with star trails.

Or you compromise on focal length and continue to use the 20mm.

Photography is always a compromise!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I have used the 12mm f2.8 end for astro before. It's not bad at all, not the best sure. 15 seconds and iso 3200.

21088118520_cf60dc0a22_h. Timeless by Siftu, on Flickr

The exposure calculator says I could have gone 20 seconds.

The 20mm at f1.7 wont drop your iso as it would require 13 seconds at 3200 but may give slightly better results.

This is always a good starter Milky Way Exposure Calculator

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    I wish I had the 12-35 2.8, I have the 12-32 3.5-5! haha. I'm going to push it's limits this weekend. Thank you for the link

11. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Remember with a little more work you can also stack your images. Not sure if you read my post on this method but you will get clean enough results if you put some thought into the shot before hand. I.e. separate foreground/background shots. I have tried iso 6400 and it's was clean

Landscape Astrophotography with m43 - The shoot and Post Process (Image Heavy)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. wjiang

+1 for stacking, about 8-16 shots seems to be the sweet spot. More isn't really worth it as it gives diminishing returns.

13. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Ah yes, I remember that one. I'm definitely going to try stacking if that means I could use ISO 3200/6400 +