1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Astrophotography from Portsmouth, UK - Part 2

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Levster, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I will use this thread to showcase my fledgling astrophotography efforts. My previous post linked to Flickr, but because these photos are linked to my Lightroom catalog, each time I update a tag or make any other minor change the image thumbnail updates and it breaks the link. Anyway... here are two efforts using an E-P5, with each shot comprising of between 30 and 40 exposures of 3 minutes at ISO1600.

Altinak, Horsehead:

image.

Orion Nebula:

image.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Levster

A few moon shots:

image.

image.

image.

• Like Like x 7
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How did you plan that plane shot?

4. Levster

Ah, that was pure luck! I think that was one of the first times trying my telescope and the moon was out quite early in the evening. I was still adjusting focus when the plane flew into shot and I rattled off a couple of frames. I'd have preferred to have frozen the plane in flight, but never mind!

5. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Great efforts! I am always curious to see how the micro four thirds performs for deep sky imaging. I can't afford an imaging setup right now so I am only experimenting with wide field imaging with a 25mm lens. What program are you using to stack and for post processing?

Cheers!

6. Levster

I use Deep Sky Stacker to combine the images and do the initial tweaks. I then either use Lightroom or Photoshop, depending on how much time I have! The first two photos I posted were both tweaked in Lightroom only, after the initial adjustment in Deep Sky Stacker. In Deep Sky Stacker it lets you adjust for colour balance, exposure curves and increase saturation, and I often get a better result than when I try to do the same thing in Photoshop.

I'm pretty happy with the long exposure end results, but when you look at test exposures with the lens cap on it can look very messy. I briefly bought a Fuji X-M1 to see if their reputed low noise output was true, but in truth the end result was no better than what I'm getting with mu43, and often the end result after stacking was very smudgy looking.

7. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Well, I would be happy with those results too...it looks very promising for sure.

The stars look a bit bloated to me...do you think that is because your refractor is not a triplet, not focused very well or just something that came up during post processing?

Also, have you tried shooting at a lower ISO and a longer exposure? Everything I have read suggests that image detail for astrophotography is more dependent on length of exposure than higher ISO, but I was wondering if you have done any tests with your setup.

Are you shooting at f/4.8?

Cheers

8. Levster

The refractor is f/6, and the size of the stars is probably more to do with a dodgy alignment. My mount doesn't auto-track so the accuracy is all down to how well I polar align, which looks like it was a bit off that night! I'll try and dig out some shorter exposure shots and compare. It could also be due to over exposure of the stars, certainly Altinak is very bright compared to what I'm trying to capture.

9. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    That makes sense. Have you tried using a focal reducer? It would probably help you collect more photons at a shorten length of exposure.