Assignment in the rain . . . advice?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jock Elliott, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Well, this promises to be interesting. For the third year, I held my hand up to photograph the "Kettle Kickoff" for the Salvation Army in Troy, NY.

Peeking ahead to Saturday on www.wunderground.com , it looks like 90% chance of rain just when the event starts. Of course, a lot can change between now and then.

Assuming it comes off, I plan to use the OMD EM5 with 12-50 as my main camera with the OMD EM5 II with 14-150 II in a shoulder bag as back up. I will also have wih a plastic bag with a hole cut for the lens in case there is a deluge. I'm going with the 12-50 because it zooms internally, which ought to offer less opportunity for water intrusion.

Thoughts and advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Jock

2. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    In my experience dating back to the Olympus E-1 and currently with an E-M5.1 & E-M5.2 you should have zero concerns in the rain -with a WR rated lens attached.
    I have shot for over an hour in continual rain at football games without issue.
    The biggest problem is avoiding water on the lens front element - as below example demonstrartes
    D8E6701C2A37432390512E95D6E82848.
    Use a lens hood and avoid angling the camera upwards - always carry it lens facing down when not shooting.
    If it's windy try to keep the wind behind you or side on.
    Continually check the lens as you can accumulate a lot of droplets and not notice them in the viewfinder image.
    Have plenty of lens tissues/cloths to wipe off any water.
    Depending on temperature, be wary of stuffing the camera under your jacket as you may warm up the lens which may fog up when you bring out into the cold and rain.
    Hope this helps a bit!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Very helpful. All my WR lenses have protective filters. I plan to wipe them with a microfiber cloth.

Cheers, Jock

4. 1E7B11C9-0C41-43C9-A581-AE149625D53F. I never use any filters on my lenses. Are you saying rain?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Definitely want a lens hood on in those conditions!

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Maybe a little snow thrown in too for some variety...

My son did a 3/2 program at SUNY Albany and RPI and hated the weather there. (He grew up Brooklyn.) He was happy to start working this past Jan. in central Ohio where it's flat and not much snow.