Assassin in Red

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, May 23, 2011.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    p1000908_markberkery.

Panny G1 + Oly 35mm/3.5. EXIF in file.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wow that's an evil looking critter!
    I love the mix of textures, especially the 'orange-peel' on its back.

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Righto Mark. You've done it now- you've made me covet getting a macro lens. I need one badly. Macro lust. I dunno.

4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    You are in the right country for it, and it looks like a good area - if there's water nearby. What one are you considering?

5. great macro shot. WOW

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I echo Hera - Wow!

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    What is that thing?!

8. Excellent! Thanks Mark.
    Starting to feel the lust for a macro lens.
    Any good sources (books, online tutorials) for the "do & don't" of macro photography?

9. Just a dumb question. Do you need an adaptor to use an Oly on a Lumix body?

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hera, you need the same 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter to use this lens on a Lumix body that you'd need to use it on an Oly body.

Great macro! Look like this critter was the inspiration for Darth Maul:

• Like Like x 2
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    if it's an Olympus 4/3 lens like the 35/3.5 then yes. You'll need an 4/3 to m43 adapter.

12. Thanks Amin, another small question. Do you loose its aurtofocus function then?

13. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Ulfric, Hera, Gary, and Amin, appreciated.

Amin, I'd say much of Man's inspiration comes from nature.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Depends on the body and lens. There's a chart on the Oly and Panasonic websites showing which lenses will AF on what bodies.

Personally, if you want to get into macro, look for a used PL45/2.8. I can't imagine how close he is having to get to those bugs with a 35 mm focal length ... personally, I would like something more in the 100 mm (200 equiv) range for insects ...

15. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Holy Moly! What fabulous Images....

Stunning, just stunning!!

I echo Hera & Gary and everybody else I think... WOW!

16. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    It's an Assassin Bug, so called for their method of coming up behind their prey and sticking them with a very sharp proboscis.

17. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Noel. I've never read a book on the subject so can't recommend one. There are some that do tutorials, search BrianV, Orionmystery, SteB, Dalantech, Mark Plonsky etc. They have their own sites or links.

Have a look at second link in my sig Macro Illustrated « Nature's Place for my take on the process.

Find what attracts you and go from there. There are many 'experts' but I wouldn't bother with people who don't actually shoot macro, check their output and see if it fits with you.

18. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    To elaborate on admin's reply; Micro 4/3 is an industry standard. An Oly m4/3 lens will will have full functionality ( AF, AE) on a Panny G camera and vise versa. But Olympus lenses don't have IS, so an Oly lens on a Panny camera won't have IS.
    Legacy adapters work the same on Oly or Panny bodies.

19. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    In your list of equiptment you've got a 50mm f1.8? Before you spend BIG bucks on a macro lens you might spend little bucks ($10) on a reversing ring for you 50mm. I've got an Oly OM 50mm f1.8. With a reversing ring and a micro 4/3 to OM adapter I can fill the frame with a bug 1.25" long (on the diagonal). There are big drawbacks to this rig, but for $10 bucks you'll get a taste of the macro.

20. Thanks for all the info. I'll stick for now to my 14mm-140mm and 100mm-300mm Lumix lenses for my close-ups without kissing the subject. I get great shallow DOF without loosing sharpness on my main subject. I find the seperation between my main subject and the background is more right on, compared to shooting with macro lenses.

A Macro lens has its romence. I have few to be used on my Canon gear. It is a personal choice after all.