Aspect ratio settings and printer paper size ?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Zakkattack, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Zakkattack

Zakkattack Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2010
    Herne Bay, Kent, UK
    Hi All,

A little comment if you will on aspect ratios and photo paper sizes.

My EP-1 sensor has a 4:3 ratio as are the Panni's. You can however select alternatives such as 3:2, 6:6 etc. These are crops of the full 4:3 option.

Now we come to printing and crop losses. Here in the UK a common larger size for photo paper is A4 or 297mm x 210mm (aspect ratio of 3:21). If you go larger to A3 or A2 then the ration still remains the same.

What to do ?. Do you go for 3:2 so as to print what you see in the view finder or allow for cropping in the 4:3 format when printing on A4 ?.

Of course standard 35mm film was 3:2 hence 6"x4" prints. Still applicable on full size sensor cameras. I guess the 4:3 ratio on view finders and such is that the aspect matches older TV screen formats we ll felt comfortable with.

Comments, help, pitfalls and preferences would be most welcome and helpful.

Thanks in advance.

2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    I've started using my Panasonic G1 and GF1 at a 3:2 aspect ratio since I realised it was an option in the menu. My measurements of the LCD screen would suggest it is much closer to being 3:2 than it is 4:3.
    I like printing on A4 at 3:2 with a border, usually about 20mm on each side although that might alter if I add text below the photograph. In landscape that would mean the picture area is actually wider than 3:2, in portrait less than 3:2, perhaps more like 4:3, so perhaps a bit of horses for courses.
    There is less to crop if the taking ratio is already 3:2 so it suits me.
    • Like Like x 1