1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

ASM Geodesic dome- a hidden gem of architecture

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by bitmatt, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    This awesome dome is not far from where I grew up in a rural suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. It is the world headquarters for the American Society of Materials (formerly Metals). We used to pass by it all the time when I was a kid, and I always thought it looked like pure science fiction. It is located in the middle-of-nowhere, almost out of sight from a fast country road next to a huge forested park. I had nearly forgotten about it since moving away 20-plus years ago. A few weeks back one of my customers was contracted to update some of the signage at this facility and had me do the artwork. Reminded about how cool this place is I took a day off & drove out there. They don't get many visitors, but keep the grounds well maintained anyway because the visitors they do get always bring cameras. It is a regular destination of architecture students, and it is easy to see why. This place was built in the 1950's, but because of how modern it seems you'd swear it was designed in the last decade with retro-styling in mind. Nope- this is the real deal, like some crazy atomic base from an old pulp comic book. I plan on going back soon to get some evening shots for more dramatic lighting, but the high-key architecture look works well here too.

All shots E-M5 with the Olympus 12mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A side note- for those of you who are fans of The Venture Brothers, don't you think this place would make the best Venture Industries HQ if they ever made a live action movie?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Great pictures. Looks like you picked a day when the sky was on your side too. That's a neat structure. I'm about 100 miles from Cleveland, so I may try to locate it sometime. Is it accessible to the public?

• Like Like x 1
  3. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Thanks. It is a private facility, but they seem to let anyone wander around the grounds. I was a little surprised I didn't get yelled at by a security guard or someone when I was stomping around the grass outside the structure, but I guess it happens all the time. The people working at their desks inside the offices didn't seem to mind my presence. I wasn't the only person there taking photos either, there was another guy who had the same idea I did. A couple strolled through walking their dogs while I was there as well, so there is definitely a park-like atmosphere.

ASM is on route 87 just west of Newbury in Geauga County.

4. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Awesome structure and great shots!

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Looks like they've had some corrosion problems with their bolted connections. (Sorry, I'm a metallurgist, and former member of the ASM.)