Aslings Beach Rock Pool

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Aslings Beach Pool is the southern most rock pool in New South Wales, about 500 km south of Sydney.

Aslings Beach is the main swimming beach in Eden and this is a natural pool retained by a concrete wall on 2 and a bit sides. The pool was created around 1904 as it was unsafe to swim at the beach due to the sharks attracted to Eden by the shore-based whaling industry which operated from the bay.

This is a most beautiful spot but unfortunately the rock pool is in a state of disrepair as there is now a large, modern conventional pool about half a kilometre away on the main highway.

Although self-replenishing, the pool leaks like a sieve. I noticed that as the tide was rising, water was flowing in through the wall from the higher tide - so it appears that holes may have been drilled in the wall!!! At low tide, the pool smells of rotting seaweed but this did not stop children on the beach still play around and in the pool (the previous afternoon).

The photos were taken on Saturday morning. It was the nicest sunrise I have had for quite a while but did not last as storm clouds came in quickly from the west and it got rather wet. All shots taken with an Olympus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm zoom.

#1 - Pre "first light" although the sky is already quite bright.

5109834174_f7b66e0f73_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aslings Beach Pool (1) by peterb666, on Flickr

#2 - there is a fabulous rock formation and small sea cave at the back of the pool.

5109835102_f9ace5ee36_b.jpg

Aslings Beach Pool (3) by peterb666, on Flickr

#3 Storm clouds starting to build from the west.

5109835742_649605dbba_b.jpg

Aslings Beach Pool (4) by peterb666, on Flickr

#4 Sunrise to the east.

5109238287_b3b3c89227_b.jpg

Aslings Beach Pool (5) by peterb666, on Flickr

#5 A strong golden light from the sun as it starts above the horizon.

5109837506_0caf7bf43a_b.jpg

Aslings Beach Pool (6) by peterb666, on Flickr

The storm clouds continue to gather but the sun is now up and bringing out the colours in the cliff behind the pool.

5109237861_ae52565852_b.jpg

Aslings Beach Pool (8) by peterb666, on Flickr

The tide is rising quickly and now breaking over the sea wall. Only minutes earlier I walked along this wall. The storm clouds are moving towards the east and it starts to rain within minutes.

5109239829_7fa9ff6aa3_b.jpg

Aslings Beach Pool (9) by peterb666, on Flickr

I hope you enjoy this series, it was a fun shoot. Feedback and CC welcome.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Keep it up Peter and you'll encourage me to make the effort and get out pre sunrise in the hope of getting some shots, though it might need some practice on my part, you certainly seem to have cracked photography in those lighting conditions, excellent series.

Barrie

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Great series Peter, well captured. Now it's clear why we need a camera which can be used in rain, storm, etc.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Thanks guys. Actually it was raining in that last shot. I thought I was getting hit by the spray from the waves (except the timing was odd), it got worse as I retreated.

It is the best time of the day by a long shot. I encourage you to get out early (you need to be set up to go around 30 minutes before "first light", i.e. about 45 to 60 minutes before official sunrise.

Cheers

Peter

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Peter, every morning I miss the dawn, I think of your photos. Then I roll over and sleep some more. Maybe some day. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom