Asking for advice on a portrait lens (lenses possibly) for family.

Sigma 16mm 1.4 (& 30/56mm 1.4) vs Leica 15mm 1.7 (& 42.5mm 1.7) vs Olympus 17mm 1.8 (& 45mm 1.8)

• Go stupid: Olympus 14-35mm f 2 (Used at 600 £)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SZRimaging

Mu-43 Regular
I’m a little late to the party (did the OP have their kid yet?), but I’ll drop in my perspective.

For background, I have a 3 year old and 3 month old. My most used lenses are the 12-40 on an E-M1 mkII and 17mm on the Pen-F. The travel light kit is the Pen-F with 17mm and 45mm, which does incredibly well. The playtime/park kit is the E-M1 due to autofocus speeds.

With little kids, they often don’t take direction from far away too well, so going wider generally allows you to be right there with them. Not to mention focusing on not only your kid, but their environment really helps tell the story.

That said, the 45mm is a great lens to get portraits during meal time and the likes.

And don’t forget to get photos with yourself in there. The flip out screen and wide lenses have become my best friends.

I would focus less on the gear, and more on the story telling.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
I’m a little late to the party (did the OP have their kid yet?), but I’ll drop in my perspective.

For background, I have a 3 year old and 3 month old. My most used lenses are the 12-40 on an E-M1 mkII and 17mm on the Pen-F. The travel light kit is the Pen-F with 17mm and 45mm, which does incredibly well. The playtime/park kit is the E-M1 due to autofocus speeds.

With little kids, they often don’t take direction from far away too well, so going wider generally allows you to be right there with them. Not to mention focusing on not only your kid, but their environment really helps tell the story.

That said, the 45mm is a great lens to get portraits during meal time and the likes.

And don’t forget to get photos with yourself in there. The flip out screen and wide lenses have become my best friends.

I would focus less on the gear, and more on the story telling.
Thank you ... Peanut is not born yet but I received the final piece of the kit as an anniversary present, the Panasonic 42.5mm f 1.7.

So I have Olympus 12-100mm f 4 Pro for outdoors and versatility, Panasonic Leica 15mm f 1.7 for wide-angle indoors, and Panasonic 42.5mm f 1.7 for portraits outdoors and indoors/low light.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom