Asked to shoot some wedding video sooo excuse for a new camera...need some advice

jlouisalmeida

Mu-43 Regular
So a friend of mine didn't have the budget for a videographer for her wedding this weekend and asked if I could help. I said no problem. They don't want/expect some crazy professional video and they already have a professional photographer, they would just like some video documentation of the event itself. I've never done it before but seems exciting (and have been ASSURED that any video will be great lol no bridezilla will be hunting me down)

So they showed me the video camera they have and it shoots on 8mm tapes...

So I thought hey what a great excuse to look into buying a new Olympus camera. I currently shoot with an e510, its pretty old but works great for me. I would like to upgrade but don't want to spend over $1000 on a camera and kit lens. Since I have been shooting an old body, I have been kinda out of the loop on Olympus's body upgrades. Any recommendations for what would be a good out of the box video experience (and later on photography experience of course)...

I found a like new EM-5 that doesn't come with the kit lens, rather a 40-150, and comes with a battery grip, battery, and 8 GB SD card for $840 so I am looking in to that.

Thank you for any suggestions and experiences!

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
If you are not going to do too much editing, and you are not going to have stabilization during the shooting, then either body will probably suffice. Most folks prefer Panasonic bodies for video because the files tend to hold up better during editing. But, if you are only going to shoot and snip, then the IBIS will be of value to you. If you do not mind refurbished, look at the Olympus site for a refurbished body and/or lens. My biggest piece of advice is to have extra batteries and to practice a lot before the event. StillMotion has some nice tutroials if you have not shot much video previously.

Good luck,

--Ken

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
As Ken says, by far the best thing about Olympus for video is image stabilisation. Given your budget, you basically have a choice between the EM5 and EM10 which are roughly the same price new. If you want to save more then but the EM5 used/refurbished. My feeling is that for video the EM5 might be better because I think the 5 axis stabilisation is better than 3.

But you can judge for yourself here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrELBP-ptX0

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
Hmm I'd go for the E-M5 for the 5 axis in video.

It would be best to understand the cons of recording on a Olympus so that you get the best quality, from memory I think quick panning doesn't play well with their codec.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would suggest a full range zoom over a kit or even a double kit setup. Unless you are going to be locked in a set position that is. It is just so much quicker and easier for events. If you are going to record audio you need to consider a mic. Even a simple mic and the Olympus SEMA adaptor is better than the built in mics.

jlouisalmeida

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you so much for the replies everyone. I took a leap and got the E-M5. I'm giddy with anticipation. Ordered a bunch of extra batteries and a 4/3 to u4/3 converter so I can use my existing 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300. Ah I can't wait!

I would suggest a full range zoom over a kit or even a double kit setup. Unless you are going to be locked in a set position that is. It is just so much quicker and easier for events. If you are going to record audio you need to consider a mic. Even a simple mic and the Olympus SEMA adaptor is better than the built in mics.

I was just thinking about this, what mic would you recommend? I know I'll need to get the SEMA adapter

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
If you don't have OIS lenses, then one of the 5 axis bodies like the EM5 is a great choice. The EM5 isn't a good general purpose video camera, but for this type of use it's probably much easier to work with than Panasonic's sophisticated but demanding cameras. The downsides of the EM5's video implementation aren't going to show up in casual and event video.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Thank you so much for the replies everyone. I took a leap and got the E-M5. I'm giddy with anticipation. Ordered a bunch of extra batteries and a 4/3 to u4/3 converter so I can use my existing 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300. Ah I can't wait!

I was just thinking about this, what mic would you recommend? I know I'll need to get the SEMA adapter

Just get the kit that includes the SEMA adapter and the Olympus mic. No need to bother with anything else.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674887-REG/Olympus_147592_SEMA_1_Microphone_Adapter_Set.html

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm not a wedding photographer or video guy. I was just at a wedding last week and saw various friends of the groom trying to video it. For the wedding part, if it were me, I'd get a second camera on a tripod and position it to get the whole ceremony. Then I would get some clips/stills with the EM5. That gives you freedom to cut/snip and condense to a nice short 5-9 minute feature, and you still have the whole thing. Hmm, that means you might need some editting tools.

Good grief, even the bride and groom at the wedding I attended probably couldn't watch their whole wedding again. We in the seats were going crazy.

jlouisalmeida

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not a wedding photographer or video guy. I was just at a wedding last week and saw various friends of the groom trying to video it. For the wedding part, if it were me, I'd get a second camera on a tripod and position it to get the whole ceremony. Then I would get some clips/stills with the EM5. That gives you freedom to cut/snip and condense to a nice short 5-9 minute feature, and you still have the whole thing. Hmm, that means you might need some editting tools.

Good grief, even the bride and groom at the wedding I attended probably couldn't watch their whole wedding again. We in the seats were going crazy.

This is a good idea, they have a GoPro that I was thinking about doing this with...

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Isn't that mic kind of awkward tho because there is no where to really mount it?
It mounts directly into the adapter:
Olympus-SEMA-1-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jlouisalmeida

Mu-43 Regular
Another question about shooting video, I see on olympus's website I have a max record time (at Full HD) of 29 min (fine) and 22 min (normal).

What's the difference between fine and normal?

Also, does that mean that's the longest continuous shot I can get? So if that time ends, I can just click record again? How large of a file would that max length video create?

Thank you again!

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
what mic would you recommend? I know I'll need to get the SEMA adapter
Having not used the mic that is including I can't say if it is any good or not but it has to be a lot better than the built in ones. However do be quiet while holding the camera as it will pick you up, including handling the camera itself.

If you are planning on doing any moving while shooting the mics will pick that up! Both the sound of moving and the differing volumes as you move. It might also pick up the air moving past the mic head if you move fast.

I personally use Sennheiser mics, several different models but they are high end. I have used Audio Technica mics before and they are a good but cheaper brand. A friend of mine uses the Rode mics and swears by them. Keep in mind that you need to find a mic with the correct connector or get adapters.

I was just at a wedding last week and saw various friends of the groom trying to video it. For the wedding part, if it were me, I'd get a second camera on a tripod and position it to get the whole ceremony. Then I would get some clips/stills with the EM5. That gives you freedom to cut/snip and condense to a nice short 5-9 minute feature, and you still have the whole thing. Hmm, that means you might need some editting tools.
When I do a wedding this is what I do. I find a good place to position a camera on a tripod usually with the mic{unless I can record from the sound system or with a remote recorder in a better position}. I then use a second camera to get other angles. Both cameras roll for the entire thing so I only have to sync once! Because, the hard part of multi-cam is syncing in post! I use a slate now but I used to just clap my hands in front of the two cameras while they were both shooting, you can also use a flash from a camera. If you do go multi-cam you will have to edit on a computer.

jlouisalmeida

Mu-43 Regular
If you are not going to do too much editing, and you are not going to have stabilization during the shooting, then either body will probably suffice. Most folks prefer Panasonic bodies for video because the files tend to hold up better during editing. But, if you are only going to shoot and snip, then the IBIS will be of value to you. If you do not mind refurbished, look at the Olympus site for a refurbished body and/or lens. My biggest piece of advice is to have extra batteries and to practice a lot before the event. StillMotion has some nice tutroials if you have not shot much video previously.

Good luck,

--Ken

I believe I am going to return my E-M5 body because it is defective. Since using it I have been reading all the negative reviews about Olys video quality. Could this be something fixed with a firmware update? I LOVE the in body stabilization of the E-M5, it is so great for shooting video and allows me to use all my lenses. I was very tempted by other Panasonics because of their video quality, but do any have stabilization during video? It seemed they all had to have a stabilized lens for video.

The E-M5 free hand video shooting was just too fun, I wouldn't want to have to have a tripod attached

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I believe I am going to return my E-M5 body because it is defective. Since using it I have been reading all the negative reviews about Olys video quality. Could this be something fixed with a firmware update? I LOVE the in body stabilization of the E-M5, it is so great for shooting video and allows me to use all my lenses. I was very tempted by other Panasonics because of their video quality, but do any have stabilization during video? It seemed they all had to have a stabilized lens for video.

The E-M5 free hand video shooting was just too fun, I wouldn't want to have to have a tripod attached

Let's separate the issues here. First, if you have a defective body, then either return it or have it repaired. Now, on to video. Are you planning to do a lot of editing of the video you shoot? Will you be grading it? If you are going to do no more than cut/splice and add text, then I think that the 5-way IBIS is going to be of enough value to you in comparison to better quality video codecs that you may never fully utilize. If you plan on only using stabilized lenses, then the equation changes, but I am not certain if that is the tipping point. I recommend knowing what final product you desire, and then finding out how it can be achieved. There are a number of samples of Olympus and Panasonic video that you watch to help you make decisions. And there are a number of reviewers that go in depth on video features on many of these bodies. For example, do you want to pull focus from the rear LCD? Have a look at Cameralabs and Imaging-Resource among others.

In the end, however, there is no substitute for practice unless you are gifted. Shooting good video other than very short clips takes a fair amount of planning and work. The camera is only part of the equation.

Good luck,

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom