1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ask me any question about Street Photography...

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by ThomasLeuthard, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ThomasLeuthard

ThomasLeuthard Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Zug, Switzerland
    Thomas Leuthard
    • Like Like x 20
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Welcome aboard Thomas. Please feel free to post your work, lol. I know I'll enjoy viewing them :)

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lovely, especially HB. Since you're posting here, I assume you use some mu43 stuff for street work. What camera/lens setups do you prefer?

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Thomas I have read your book two days ago. It is one of the best Photographic books I have read. I think you should add a link to your book and flicker stream in your signature. You can edit it in the User CP page the link is located at left of the third row from the top.

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Do you prefer b&w over color?

What software do you use for post processing?

6. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    Great work, look forward to more!

7. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Great. I have a question: for the intimate shots you make of people, what is your way of getting the shot? Do you first ask for permission to make a shot and then let them get back to their 'thing' and then make the shot? Or how do you usually do this?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Very nice Thomas. I see you use mostly the 20 and the 45. I assume auto-focus on both since neither is well set-up for zone focus (and it wouldn't make much sense with the length of the 45 anyway). I tend to use zone focus for wider stuff and AF for longer, but I'm not that comfortable with using longer lenses on the street, although I have done some with the 45 and the 75. I like your spare B&W style a lot. Thanks for sharing these.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, Thomas!

One question I have, gear oriented, is whether the 17/1.8 is going to replace your 20/1.7? :eek:

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I suggest reading the free ebooks before asking questions ...

11. RobWatson

My question has to do with the stated desire to capture 'as it is' and yet to impose BW. To me BW is an artistic choice that forces certain elements onto the subject - we live in a world of color and much of how we express ourselves comes through colors. Why BW in a color world?

• Like Like x 1
  12. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Great work. I'm going to read your books. Thanks for posting.

13. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    What's wrong with artistic choices? The purpose of art, however you define it, is to convey the artist's vision. If that vision is conveyed more effectively with strong shadows and shapes and contrast - ie, more conducive to B&W, what's wrong with that? Like Thomas, I use B&W and color as the individual image dictates, but I probably end up with about 80-90% of my street photos in B&W. And, yeah, its an artistic choice. I see them as having more impact that way, which is the point.

-Ray

14. RobWatson

Nothing. I was not intending to be judgemental. Just seems a contradiction to capture 'as it is' and yet impose BW. Looking to hear his reasoning.

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I suppose it comes down to your definition of "as it is." Does it mean the full color view in the exact light at the instant the photo was taken? Or does it mean stripped to it's essentials, the real essence of what the artist is seeing? Perhaps there are other definitions. B&W does tend to highlight the essentials, the bare bones if you will. It is gritty, spare, basic - life, "as it is."
    Excellent question, though. I'll be interested to see other responses. :cool:

16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Got ya. I interpreted "as it is" to mean photographing a candid moment that was happening without any awareness of a photograph being taken. To be an observer rather than a participant. But I fully recognize I may have interpreted it that way because that's my approach to street photography. I'm always going for that and sometimes the subject's awareness of being photographed comes through in the photo and sometimes that even ends up working. But it's never intended.

-Ray

17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Thomas :smile:
    Thanks for being so nice . Now , I am a great fan of Olympus 45 mm 1.8 lens and believe that it is one of the most suitable focal length for street photography . This lens is lightening fast on any MFT body and let you shoot people without invading their personal space . This lens is small enough to go unnoticed .This FL can be too long sometimes but over all I love it . What is your opinion about it and which focal length do you prefer ? I recently picked up a Fuji X100 and use it as a second camera instead of changing lens or carrying another camera body.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    This is a link to what I shot in Melbourne with this lens and EPL2
    https://www.mu-43.com/f57/caution-if-you-see-thread-u-might-poorer-usd399-soon-19671/

18. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Ray's interpretation of 'as it is" is mine as well,with some elaboration.We all make artistic choices the moment we trip the shutter.A scene is cropped.We filter out sound, smell and alter the light.Most of us then proceed to post production where we continue to change elements of our picture to interpret something between trying to get close to what we originally saw or an artistic rendering maybe more emotionally close to what we wish to convey.BW eliminates many distractions in a frame and produces a more easily understood message to the viewer.Pictures aren't life,cameras are woefully inadequete still,to capture it.We must make choices.Our minds eye must complete the shot.
    I'm not trying to put words in your mouth,Thomas, I speak only for myself.Please, let's hear your interpretation.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cameras have never been better at capturing the real world, it's just that a photographer will often want to display a scene differently to how it really was. This is where documentary is overtaken by artistic license.

20. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Because film/sensor color is an interpertation and not real while BW captures the luminance able to be captured. Just to make a slightly technical point.