[ask] apperture value for infinity focus?

nTo

Mu-43 Regular
Dear all,

I'm curious about which apperture value to use when im shooting a far away object. Let say making a landscape photo, so the focus distance would be infinite. Is it better to use small apperture or big apperture?

As for close distance the small apperture would produce shallow dof, but with infinite distance i don't see any difference. I've tried to compare both but i haven't notice anything beside with small apperture i can use faster shutter speed hence minimising shake.

Thanx for your advice guys! :smile:

tam

Mu-43 Regular
By "small aperture" I think you're confused. I *think* when you say small you mean "low f number" which is actually (physically) the largest aperture.

Typically you'd use a small (large f) aperture so as to get the greatest DOF possible, and sharpness (balance here as too small will limit sharpness too).

Reactions: nTo

nTo

Mu-43 Regular
By "small aperture" I think you're confused. I *think* when you say small you mean "low f number" which is actually (physically) the largest aperture.
You are right Tam! :smile:
thanx for correcting!

so with big f value we can have sharper landscape image --> thanx!

landshark

Mu-43 Veteran
Actually the smaller aperture/large number (f16, f22) are not where most lenses are the happiest, the most depth but not the sharpest. In fact most lenses will give their best performance in the middle aperture values F5.6, F8