1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

[ask] apperture value for infinity focus?

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by nTo, May 31, 2010.

1. nTo

nTo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2009
    Indonesia
    Dear all,

I'm curious about which apperture value to use when im shooting a far away object. Let say making a landscape photo, so the focus distance would be infinite. Is it better to use small apperture or big apperture?

As for close distance the small apperture would produce shallow dof, but with infinite distance i don't see any difference. I've tried to compare both but i haven't notice anything beside with small apperture i can use faster shutter speed hence minimising shake.

Thanx for your advice guys! :smile:

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    By "small aperture" I think you're confused. I *think* when you say small you mean "low f number" which is actually (physically) the largest aperture.

Typically you'd use a small (large f) aperture so as to get the greatest DOF possible, and sharpness (balance here as too small will limit sharpness too).

• Like Like x 1
  3. nTo

nTo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2009
    Indonesia
    You are right Tam! :smile:
    thanx for correcting!

so with big f value we can have sharper landscape image --> thanx!

4. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Actually the smaller aperture/large number (f16, f22) are not where most lenses are the happiest, the most depth but not the sharpest. In fact most lenses will give their best performance in the middle aperture values F5.6, F8

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.