1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

'Asahi Pentax Spotmatic Review'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Sep 15, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The Spotmatic was my first serious camera, and that bought back a lot of memories of a decade of which it was often said "if you can remember it, you weren't there". Does that mean I wasn't there and didn't have a Spotmatic?

I do have some photos from those days, printed when some friends and I shared a kitchen darkroom setup. I can't remember taking some of the photos but I do remember the people in them and where they were taken. Maybe I was there for the parts I don't remember and not there for the parts I do remember.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :smile:

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That was not my first serious camera, but it almost was. In the end I saved some more and bought a used M3 with a collapsible Summicron that had a lot of marks on the coating. :)  Those were the days of great...what I guess you might call "prosumer" today?...cameras. Kin to the Spotmatics were classics like the Minolta SRT series, the Canon FTB, the Nikkormat FT and others that I'm forgetting because I was there. :) 

I think often about how, back in film days, when they improved the "sensor" I didn't have to sell or trade the whole camera!!! :D 

4. Not my first serious camera but I fell in love with them... I collect takumar/asahi stuff now. Earliest being the Asahiflex IIB all the way to the Spotmatic II. Most were sold in the US under the Heiland, Honeywell, and Tower branding.

I later moved on to the venerable K1000 (early version) which pretty much operated just like the spotmatics but the bayonet lens mounts made lens changes a lot quicker.

Great fun cameras to shoot.... You learn a lot in shorter amount of time than with the newer cameras that have a lot of features... features that have the potential to distract the learning process.

Sadly, most don't see much use today. They are in my display cabinet along with a bunch of others. With long hours at work, kids (2 more on the way), and a household, I am very thankful for the convenience of digital.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    My first high school photography class had a couple of Spotmatics for students to use. Mostly manual cameras like those are probably a whole lot better learning tools than today's do-everything-for-you cameras.

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I'm in the "I love the spotmatic" boat too. This is perfect in hands and uses m42 lenses.

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I used to have a few Spotmatics back in the day. I've sold most of them off but kept a few for old time's sake. I thought I had more but I could only find 4 of them this morning.

fb230e7f.
    DSC-TX5    ---    17mm    f/4.5    1/10s    ISO 1000

8. Ooooo.... Spotmatic F Don't have one of those in my collection.. yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.