'Asahi Pentax Spotmatic Review'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Sep 15, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The Spotmatic was my first serious camera, and that bought back a lot of memories of a decade of which it was often said "if you can remember it, you weren't there". Does that mean I wasn't there and didn't have a Spotmatic?

I do have some photos from those days, printed when some friends and I shared a kitchen darkroom setup. I can't remember taking some of the photos but I do remember the people in them and where they were taken. Maybe I was there for the parts I don't remember and not there for the parts I do remember.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :smile:

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That was not my first serious camera, but it almost was. In the end I saved some more and bought a used M3 with a collapsible Summicron that had a lot of marks on the coating. :) Those were the days of great...what I guess you might call "prosumer" today?...cameras. Kin to the Spotmatics were classics like the Minolta SRT series, the Canon FTB, the Nikkormat FT and others that I'm forgetting because I was there. :)

I think often about how, back in film days, when they improved the "sensor" I didn't have to sell or trade the whole camera!!! :D

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not my first serious camera but I fell in love with them... I collect takumar/asahi stuff now. Earliest being the Asahiflex IIB all the way to the Spotmatic II. Most were sold in the US under the Heiland, Honeywell, and Tower branding.

I later moved on to the venerable K1000 (early version) which pretty much operated just like the spotmatics but the bayonet lens mounts made lens changes a lot quicker.

Great fun cameras to shoot.... You learn a lot in shorter amount of time than with the newer cameras that have a lot of features... features that have the potential to distract the learning process.

Sadly, most don't see much use today. They are in my display cabinet along with a bunch of others. With long hours at work, kids (2 more on the way), and a household, I am very thankful for the convenience of digital.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My first high school photography class had a couple of Spotmatics for students to use. Mostly manual cameras like those are probably a whole lot better learning tools than today's do-everything-for-you cameras.

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I'm in the "I love the spotmatic" boat too. This is perfect in hands and uses m42 lenses.

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I used to have a few Spotmatics back in the day. I've sold most of them off but kept a few for old time's sake. I thought I had more but I could only find 4 of them this morning.

fb230e7f.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ooooo.... Spotmatic F Don't have one of those in my collection.. yet.