1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

As of today every current model Panasonic m43 has an integrated EVF!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CiaranCReilly, Sep 15, 2014.

1. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Just a quick observation, I don't think this would have been seen coming last year, but it's great! Given the current model lineup is G6, GH4, GM5, GX7 and LX100, every single one has built in, high res, EVF! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    GM1 is a current model.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know even though Panasonic and Olympus share the same mount, their internal competition really does drive the overall format to be competitive. If M43 was only spearheaded by one company, I don't think M43 would survive against the bigger sensor formats. You don't get to see that type of cooperation/competition with any of the other camera system!

4. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Right, didn't notice that the GM5 is to sit alongside the GM1. Still, that makes the observation true for the top of each category which is still pretty great

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Killjoy. :biggrin:

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I for one am really glad they kept the GM1 around and I really hope in the future they still have updated tiny bodies without an EVF and with the pop-up flash instead.

No doubt I'm in the minority here, but when out with my GM1 I never miss an EVF. I wouldn't want the squashed 16:9 LCD. Despite rarely needing it the pop up flash can be a life saver when fill light is needed. I would never carry an accessory flash with such a camera, it needs to be built in to be useful for me. I don't want the EVF shroud catching my pocket/bag when taking it out and in fact I don't want to even have the extra few mm of height on the GM5. And why ditch the top custom button - I use that a lot on my GM1.

But I also know a whole lot of people wanted that EVF and it looks like they pulled it off with little compromise in size.

In the end, I hope in a year or two there will be a GM2 - that is an upgrade still without an EVF.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If Olympus had put an integrated EVF in the EP5, I might have gotten that over the EM5. I think that in the push to get Mirrorless ILC going, the viewfinder got lost in the mix. I think now, though that a lot of camera companies are realizing having the EVF is really important.

Good to see that Panasonic is going in this direction. I'm liking their offerings more and more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Interesting. I too could live without the integrated EVF, but could really care less about a pop-up flash. What I really want, however, is a tilting screen!

• Like Like x 1
  9. CiaranCReilly

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    That's true actually, I can't remember a shot I ever missed due to lack of viewfinder, but I've missed plenty due to the lack of a built in flash on my old Olympus bodies (never bothered carrying the little clip on unit, too much of a fiddle).

• Like Like x 1
  10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I would not have bought my EPM2 if it did not have the VF3 with it for not much more than the EVF costs an EVF is vital for me being long sighted, the info on the screen is too hard now to read with out glasses and I can't walk with them on get migraines. I would seriously consider an EP7 with a built in EVF, I don't like the look of pseudo slr type cameras, though not enough to not use them. The GM5 is to me a pretty ideal camera in looks and size plus having a hot shoe, hey I have worked with older bodies that had 1/30th flash sink, if only it was in silver with the red or even better Purple or Green leather. I will most likely buy one may even put in a pre order if I can get a body only.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Agree. The GM5 does also look promising and more so with the viewfinder.

12. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I love having a viewfinder on my G5. That said, I think there is a place for cameras without one. Three scenarios I can think of:
    -Cheap, entry-level model (like the e-PM2)
    -teeny tiny model (like the GM1)
    -High-end model where people are likely to buy an external high-end viewfinder they can keep upon upgrading the camera (e-P5).

In other words, variety is good! (And thus, I think it is slightly negative for all new cameras to have an EVF, even for potential customers who wouldn't want them.)

13. hemuni

hemuni Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    The new GM5 leaves room for upgrades. If the format proves successfull they'll find a way to encourage you to upgrade, by waving in front of you, the one thing that would make your current model perfect. And then they'll also introduce something new, on another model, you didn't even knew you needed. Keep your credit cards ready...