As my only camera is G1X what I need?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by rkhndjr, Feb 2, 2015.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I have sold my GF-1 and only lens and am pondering what to get if anything. I am old and ill but still have the urge to snap pics in the house and out i the yard when I feel like going out. The G1X has been highly rated in some places and may be all I need. Any suggestions? I got tired of fooling with lenses and want to simplify but with good glass. Any help will be appreciated. I shoot anything, just the act of taking a picture is thrill enough for me.

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    for about a 100 usd more than the canon g1x, check up on the panasonic lx100, which has leica zoom lens, metal body, 4k video, and dfd af (from the flagship gh4). i think that camera will last a good number of years. :)

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would also say LX100 over the G1X. While the G1X is not a bad camera I think the LX100 is something special. Kind of like the Fuji X100's are, which if you could get by with a fixed lens would be another option (what was your one lens for the GF-1?)

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    why would you need anyting else?

buy lenses as you feel you have a need / benefit for that specific lens.

I'm down the simple path too, having settled on (in the main) 14mm (+GWC-1) 20mm and 45mm (with a couple of legacy FD telephoto lenses)

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Well the original G1X is down around $300 used or refurbished. So that can be a pretty good deal. It's a 1.85x crop, but only f2.8-5.8 aperture. Sensor is not as good as the LX100 if you are into lifting shadows, but otherwise it's typical Canon and good at high ISO with pleasing color.

It's not a tiny camera, though.

If the OP is in the U.S. they can get a refurb G1X for $329 through Canon outlet. They offer full warranty on refurbs, so really no extra risk vs new.
    http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...ot-digital-cameras/powershot-g1-x-refurbished

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.