1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

As my only camera is G1X what I need?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by rkhndjr, Feb 2, 2015.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I have sold my GF-1 and only lens and am pondering what to get if anything. I am old and ill but still have the urge to snap pics in the house and out i the yard when I feel like going out. The G1X has been highly rated in some places and may be all I need. Any suggestions? I got tired of fooling with lenses and want to simplify but with good glass. Any help will be appreciated. I shoot anything, just the act of taking a picture is thrill enough for me.

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    for about a 100 usd more than the canon g1x, check up on the panasonic lx100, which has leica zoom lens, metal body, 4k video, and dfd af (from the flagship gh4). i think that camera will last a good number of years. :)

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would also say LX100 over the G1X. While the G1X is not a bad camera I think the LX100 is something special. Kind of like the Fuji X100's are, which if you could get by with a fixed lens would be another option (what was your one lens for the GF-1?)

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    why would you need anyting else?

buy lenses as you feel you have a need / benefit for that specific lens.

I'm down the simple path too, having settled on (in the main) 14mm (+GWC-1) 20mm and 45mm (with a couple of legacy FD telephoto lenses)

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well the original G1X is down around $300 used or refurbished. So that can be a pretty good deal. It's a 1.85x crop, but only f2.8-5.8 aperture. Sensor is not as good as the LX100 if you are into lifting shadows, but otherwise it's typical Canon and good at high ISO with pleasing color.

It's not a tiny camera, though.

If the OP is in the U.S. they can get a refurb G1X for $329 through Canon outlet. They offer full warranty on refurbs, so really no extra risk vs new.
    http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...ot-digital-cameras/powershot-g1-x-refurbished