1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Artist and Artisan Easy Glider Alternative (less $$)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by thepinched, Apr 18, 2014.

1. thepinched

thepinched Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    I love the concept of the easy glider and i want the strap to attach to the em10 lugs. I like setting the camera flat. any other maker make something similar and less $$$. i saw the luma cinch v2...maybe it would work. can't seem to find a video to see how it slides up/down.

2. Impulse

Impulse New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Frank
    I've been looking for exactly the same thing with little success. I'm surprised that style of easily adjusted strap hasn't been copied a lot more by now. Like you, the Luma is the closest thing I've found but it's not much cheaper (like $20-30 less, better than nothing I guess but still expensive) and it looks a little bulkier (shoulder pad etc)... I like the A&A color choices too, just can't bring myself to pay $80 for a strap.

We'll see, if the tripod mount on the Joby 3-Way I'm using interferes with mounting the 9-18 I might just succumb (it's tight with the 20mm & my GF6 but useable). I bought some Domke & Crumpler straps as gifts and I liked them but they wouldn't work very well when I'm hiking etc, I'd just end up putting the camera in my fanny pack (in which case I don't need a shoulder/neck strap, hence why I like the Joby too).

Btw, I'm shocked that Joby strap has fallen down to like $12 on Amazon, I paid like $20 and even that was under MSRP. Best minimalist/convertible strap I've seen, great choice if you tend to put the camera right back in a bag or for a night out, just not optimal for when you're walking a lot or hiking etc (which is what I'd want the A&A for).

3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    You might look at the Peak Design Leash.

4. thepinched

thepinched Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    The peak design leash doesn't have a slide to shorten/lengthen the strap from what i've seen.

Agreed...luma looks good. but i haven't seen how the slide mechanism works. i really don't want to use the joby because it only attaches at the tripod plate. i emailed them and asked if there was a work around and they said no. i want to carry the camera close to me out of the bag...so its safer towards me. then extend when i want to shoot. at this point the A&A easy slider is the only product that seems would do the trick.

I'm trying to understand the difference between the 25R and 25S models.

It's way more than i want to spend on a strap...but it seems like it does exactly what i'd want.

5. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My Peak Design Leash will go from 30" with a single attachment point and neck loop to 58" with a double attachment. One end will attach back to the slider so that there can be many different set ups. So it can be used as a safety strap, neck loop or a sling.

[video=youtube;PcNuujIdwok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcNuujIdwok[/video]

[video=youtube;n7f7ibqfVZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7f7ibqfVZY[/video]

6. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Peak cuff and leash is a fabulous product. I use both and love 'em

7. thepinched

thepinched Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    Maybe i'm missing the peak product vs the AA Easy slider. I'll have to rewatch the leash to see if it does the instant adjustment length.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Does Black Rapid or Lance Camera Straps have anything similar that will meet your needs?

--Ken

9. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Not sure if there are alternatives or something similar. I was in Japan last week and I bought two of those A&A easy sliders, they are a joy to use. The difference between the 25R and 25S models is the camera strap lug (one is a ring lug and the other one isn't). It's $60 in Japan but Popflash sells it for $120 in the US.

10. thepinched

thepinched Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    If they sold them at $60 here it would be a no brainer and tons more volume.

11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    And Capture Clip!

12. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Peak leash length does not "slide shorten".

I've been searching for a cheaper alternative to A& A which seems to be the best in terms of "sliding comfort" and length.

What I've found:

1. Ninja strap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aolp46A3HNQ
    Much cheaper than A&A, however I don't like the dangling excess when it's shortened. Plus users say the material is quite rough and does not slide easily, causing skin burn if the strap is against your neck area.

2. Ebay knockoffs of the Ninja strap - made of cotton which I would think would be even worse than the original Ninja strap.

3. Cowboy studio - I believe it's the same product as Ninja strap rebranded.

4. Cinch - connects to the camera via the tripod mount only, prefer connection to 2 points on the camera, plus the strap is too long even when shortened.

5. Crumpler Singapore Sling/Slim - strap only available in EU and still too long after shortening.

A&A is still the best but most expensive.

13. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Did you get it at Yodobashi? Thinking of getting one when I'm in Japan later on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
  15. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    The A&A easy slider is a whole lot cheaper in Japan. I bought it at Map Camera in Shinjuku. Here's the link...

https://www.mapcamera.com/item/2996100077746

All black easy slider made by Artisan & Artist only for the Map Camera store.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Impulse

Impulse New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Frank
    Just to clarify, what the original poster, myself, and a few others are looking for is not a convertible strap but one whose length can easily adjusted ON THE FLY (i.e. without five minutes of tugging this and sliding that) and which attaches on side lugs (not tripod mount). There's several easy adjust straps that attach to the tripod mount, and tons of convertible lug straps, but few like the A&A. The point of the A&A is cinching it tight to your body when walking, moving, riding etc but being able loosen it with one hand to use the camera without taking strap off yourself.

I agree that if it were $60 I would've bought it already, usually more like $80-100 on Ebay/Amazon. Might just bite the bullet tho... It wouldn't even be worth asking someone to buy it for one in Japan cause by the time they ship it to ya (even from the US) and you pay for that + some compensation for their trouble you're right back at $80+. They really need to find a distributor in the US that won't gouge as much, it'd be a huge seller even at $60 IMO.

17. fadingphoenix

fadingphoenix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    This has me really intrigued, I haven't stumbled upon these straps before. Regarding the Luma Cinch, while I was looking it up I did stumble upon Luma's Vimeo channel which has some clips of the strap in action http://vimeo.com/user2776786/videos. Anyone feel there's cause for concern regarding what's shown in their clip "Modularity"? I feel a little uneasy about that gap in the ring and the possibility of the strap sneaking it's way out...

18. thepinched

thepinched Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    as a workable alternative...the SnapR35 seems like it could do the trick and function as a case at a much lower price point. not a perfect replacement, but its a multipurpose option.

19. fadingphoenix

fadingphoenix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Well, I don't know if you ever solved your conundrum OP, but I ended up buying the Cinch v2 to try it out (really thank you for this thread or I may never have heard of these straps). I've never tried the Artisans and Artists strap to compare ease of use, but the Cinch is really a nice smooth action; it's very comfortable as well. I've only had it a short time but I've been enjoying it so far. Only qualm is the lack of any quick release; though I'm going to work something out for that, I just haven't decided what yet.

20. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    @fadingphoenix

Did you just get the basic config?

Does it connect to the camera via the camera lugs on both sides or just the tripod mount?

Also, the shortening can be done on one or both ends right.

You'd think Cinch would put up a host of videos showing its various configurations and accessories, but no.