Artisan & Artist Silk Cord Strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tyrphoto, Oct 10, 2014.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Just picked one up today at the local Leica store. Beautiful strap aesthetically and exquisitely made.

It's now on my X100 that I picked up last week. No doubt, when my X00T (black version) comes in, I'll be buying a black A&A Silk Cord for that one. Expensive, but worth it.

The A&A products are cheaper here in Korea versus the U.S. and on top of that, they give me another 15% off so that eases a bit of the expense. :big grin:

Still need to get a hood, thumb grip and soft shutter release.

15495557885_74f77a7622_b.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    i saw one on a friend's X100 and i think it is one of the nicest straps i have ever seen. but boy is it expensive for what it is.

i'm hoping for a close copy coming out :smile:

3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Lance Camera Straps makes a very similar looking one for $68.

http://lancecamerastraps.com/classic-non-adjust/

Classic-Non-adjust-14.

Classic-Non-adjust-12.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Don't they cut into your neck? There is a reason that most straps are flat - it distributes the weight over a broader area on your neck.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not quite similar. The Lance straps are made from Polyester while A&A are made with Silk strands. Two very different materials on both feel, use, and cost (unfortunately).

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Not at all and quite the opposite with lighter mirrorless cameras. Because there are no sharp edges as well as the softness of the silk material, it's quite comfortable. Flat nylon style straps will dig into your skin, leather won't breathe properly against your skin and become tacky. Also due to the flexible cylinder shape, it's easy to wrap around your wrist if you prefer.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Actually, I was going to mention the differing material but didn't want to seem like I was putting down the Lance straps. But yeah, the A&A uses more premium materials and for me, it's worth it but for others may not be a big issue.

For those who are interested in this strap, I'd highly recommend it. It feels extremely soft against your skin and is quite flexible and will wrap around your wrist for those who prefer using these kinds of straps in that manner. For something that will outlast the camera itself, it's a small premium to pay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. usayit

Not really.. its pretty comfortable but I have never used it with heavier cameras. I would imagine it would with weight. Its a strap that was designed with small cameras (like MFT, very popular among the Leica crowd) in mind. It "lays" very well and for those that like to wrap the strap around their wrist while in use and still shoulder the camera when not in use, it works well.

I ended up selling mine for some stupid reason on my part (I think I didn't like the red).... tempted to buy another but I'm pretty happy with the Domke gripper swivels and RileyG straps (wide for thse that like it).

9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The first time I saw the red in person a few months ago, I thought they were showing me the wrong one as it's not a bright red that I was expecting. More of an orangish red color.

I'm going to be picking up another one in black as soon as my black X100T comes in.

10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The A&A Easy Slider is also a great strap and would probably be more suitable for bigger/heavier cameras. I bought one for my EM1 around 4 months ago and love it.

14186407217_210f361871_b.

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i always wanted a silk cord aa strap, but im so not a neck strap person
    i literally just cut a short length of paracord, loop it thru the right side strap triangle thingy, and tie it off as a double finger strap loop on my cams now
    i used to use the gariz finger loop, but each color has a different tightness to it, and it annoyed me:\

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'm pretty happy with the straps I use now on my two Micro 4/3 cameras: A Domke Gripper and a Crumpler Popular Disgrace padded strap that's just about the same color as the OP's strap. And neither one cost me anything - they were both attached to cameras I bought on ebay for rock bottom prices.

13. usayit

The AA Silk cord is a premium product.... there are many straps out there at a fraction of the price for all sorts of people's needs.... that's a given.

But I surmise that's not what this thread is about.... its about a premium product. Glad the OP likes it.

You can have similar discussions all day long with about any premium product. In the end of the day, the cheaper alternatives are just that... cheaper and more importantly not premium.

I personally, would buy another without hesitation. I don't recall if the black one was available when I first purchased one.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, Domke straps (and bags) are most assuredly premium products - but they are designed entirely for functionality and durability, not style.

15. usayit

I have three... love the swivel versions.

Sure they are functional. I even like the style.

I wouldn't say they are made with premium materials. Its like saying ballistic nylon are premium materials or my Chevy Sonic is a premium car. They get the job done... no more.. no less. As for the Domke branding, IMO they are still good but since Domke sold the brand to Tiffen, they've gone down in quality. My newest Domke bag has plastic buckles.

But I think we are missing the point of the thread here.....

16. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I used to own and love the original Domke bag which I used for years. I started buying more bags and unknowingly became a bag whore. While the current Domke bags are still functional as ever, they aren't what I would consider a "premium" product like a Billingham, ONA or Wotancraft. That's not to say one is categorically better than the other since only the end user can make that call.

17. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I wound up with the black silk cord strap for my X100S from last Christmas as a gift. It was too much a splurge to spring for it myself. I enjoy that strap every time I reach for the camera. It's a long version of it that puts the camera down at a sling strap location. Very comfortable for all weather, non abrasive to clothes, and it can be easily bagged and without taking up a lot of bag room.