1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Article :Sold Leica Stuff for Mu43

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Jan 9, 2013.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  2. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    somebody who can't afford a gear so he settles for a cheaper gear.
    that's news.

3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Great article

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It's an interesting read but I have to say that if I could afford Leica gear I'm not sure I would choose m43 gear instead. If I had Leica lenses I can think of a couple of better options than any of the m43 bodies for them (and yes that includes the much loved E-M5). Of course that is all predicated on the idea that I could afford Leica gear.

Since I don't have that kind of money (or even close) then I agree that the m43 system is quite appealing as it has a lot of good options for bodies and a large selection of wonderful native glass.

5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Well, those lens sharpness measurements really put things in perspective...

I also expected to read more than just economic motivation to downgrade to m43.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting article - unusual, but interesting. :cool:

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I find it interesting that the choice between autofocus and manual focus was not even an issue worth discussing when considering the Leica M system vs MFTs. I wouldn't consider using a manual focus system as my primary system. It could have the best lenses in the world and cost a nickel. Not interested. I don't even like giving up face detection!

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That is interesting, they're really different kinds of experiences. For all intents and purposes I have a MF setup as my primary system (NEX and Rokkor) and it's definitely not for everyone. A lot of my family and friends think I'm crazy. On the plus side very few people ask to use my camera.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I could relate to his fear of risking his expensive Leica stuff. I was amused by his obsrevation that he took more photos with the E-PM1 simply because he carried it more.

10. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Same boat as he was. Sold my m8 and went on with an ep1. The experience was great, nothing like a true RF but its too much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

11. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

When it comes to manual focus, most of us have had to do it in the past and still have to when using adapted lenses or importantly for macro. It's not something that I have ever been thrilled about but as I started with a Voigtlander Bessa folding 120 film camera and a separate rangefinder I think that any later development is more usable. IMO the easiest and most accurate options were in built rangefinder of the Leica type or the once popular split image SLR screen. Current OVF SLRs are really a bind for MF (why can't we have split image or microprism screens available?) but now we have EVFs with magnification and IBIS we have now caught up again with the quality and accuracy of the Leica Rangefinder. So I can understand the attraction of the Pen series - not sure I would part with any Leica stuff though, did it once and still regret it.

David

E-M5, Leica 14-150mm, ED 7-14mm, ED 75-300mm, EC14, EX25, Lensbaby Scout, FL50R, Metz MS1.
    Canon 7D, Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, Tokina 12-24mm f4.
    National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    For me this is the moral of his story. "If you have to run the images through a computer to tell the difference, there is no real difference that matters."

I am retiring my FF cameras because I see no significant difference between my FF images and my µ4/3 images. While cost and size/weight are not important factors to me in determining what system I shoot, I do appreciate the less expensive and smaller size of µ4/3.

• Like Like x 6
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I used to actually enjoy manual focus when I had my Pentax 645. A huge VF with a ground glass screen. I also had young eyes. Presbyopia is a harsh mistress.

14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Couldn't get passed the first part of the article... something about ramblings about not being afford this and that.

I'd say the person was an idiot for stretching their wallet in the first place.

15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Absolutely!

Where "good enough" is "good enough" is a personal decision.. Some get excited over pixel peeping... why? oh why?

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yeah, I struggled through the first half of his rather long thesis and personal inconveniences. It is great to have extremely sharp lenses, but if you can only see that additional sharpness vis-a-vis a laboratory instrument, what's the point ...

It did crystalize for me that we all took different routes to µ4/3 and it was interesting to read his journey.

Gary

PS- I pixel peep all my images at 100% as a reflection of my skill, not as a measurement of overall image quality or image impact.

PPS- Every time I use AF, I wished it was around when I was shooting news. AF is wonderful and incredibly useful. I bought a few pieces of legacy glass when I first entered the µ4/3 arena. After a short dance I gave them away. I love AF.
    G

17. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I tried AF, 25 years ago, and just could not get use to the camera deciding what, where and when. Same for exposure. (I am an addicted, quality machinery buff). Now 25 years of machinery progress (electronics), and this human's bodily degradation (hand shake and dim eyes), I now embrace the technology, especially as it is steadily becoming more easily and quickly "tweaked", on the fly via live view.
    As he finally reasoned. I cannot justify, at my age and financial status, the expense for what I want vs what works "good enough". Life is about balance.

• Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I don't think this guy is just "I can't afford it anymore". It's clearly a stretch but he can buy that rare lens. His realization seems to be that for him it's really not worth it even if he can afford it. The IQ from mu43 is good enough for him and he's more comfortable using equipment that is not so expensive that he's constantly worried about it. It's easy not to buy Leica if you don't have the money; it's different if you can afford it and decide otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  19. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    A few years ago I was shooting with Leica exclusively: M8 for digital and MP and M6 for film. The Leica lenses were nothing short of superb and the cameras were built like a tank. But the trade-offs in terms of speed of focus with AF and other modern electronic conveniences that I was missing were too much. Also, I was beginning to shoot a lot of horse shows and Leica wasn't cutting it.So I sold them all and went to DSLR first, then to M43. There are times and applications where I wish I still had one of the Leica film bodies and a summicron or two, but on the whole I don't miss Leica. I think they are terribly overpriced (I know, it's heresy to say that within earshot of the true Leicaphile) and M43 has made great advances since my 2009 introduciton to it with the EP-1 . I'm happy I made the switch.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed. I would like the option of one of these old focusing screens, at least when using manual focus for parts, closeups, etc.