1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Art Show - I'm in shock

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprinke, Feb 21, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Really wanted to share this with a group of folks who would understand ...

One of my work colleagues bought a print of mine last year (I had entered it in a little art show put on at my workplace). As it turns out, her son is the curator at a little coffeeshop art gallery in town. He saw the print and liked it, and asked me if I would show at his gallery for a couple weeks this spring.

I've put together a collection of about 20 prints, mostly 8x10 and a few slightly larger, and got some inexpensive mats and frames at the craft store. For the 8x10's, I spent less than $10 each to get them printed and framed (prints are from Mpix on their archival paper). The majority of them were taken with my GH2; a couple with my old FZ35.

The curator loves them. I asked him how much I should charge for them (I have no clue) and he says $100-$150!! :eek: My jaw nearly hit the floor. I had been thinking maybe $30-$35. But, he knows his clientele I guess! The gallery takes 30%.

Of course, I have no idea if any of these will actually sell. I'll keep y'all posted. Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    good luck! The pricing is about right so don't give your images away.

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    What kind of framing are you getting for under $10?!

Fred

4. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it went. :)

--Warren

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Awesome...congrats and best of luck.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Self-framing. :biggrin: Ordered pre-cut mats from documounts.com: $50 for 25 mats (includes foam backing and plastic bag). Super budget 11x14 frames from Michael's: a three-pack is usually $20 but 50% off during sale, plus additional 25% off coupon put each frame at less than $3. Very simple black frame & white mat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Wow congrats! Are the photos for sale online?

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I actually like photos and arts simply framed. Sometimes I see work done in large elaborate frames and I get the feeling I am paying for the framing and not the art/photo.

Congrats!

9. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Nope, I've never considered that.

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I've thought the same. After all, it might be that the buyer wants to reframe the piece anyway, to match their decor or whatnot, and the frame would just be thrown away.

I'm planning to sign & stamp the mats, though.

11. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    Awesome. Well done. I sold one of mine for £15 maybe I should have asked more.

12. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Awesome, congrats!

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Congrats! I hope yours' sell well!

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Well done. Good luck with the exhibition.

When it comes to art, often cheap means "not as good as expensive". Cost of materials has nothing to do with it.

Gordon

15. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The $100-150 is about right for low end prints. If you think about how much time is involved in actually getting an image from conception to finished print, you'll realize that you're working for less than minimum wage. :smile:

It's a great source of irritation to people actually trying to make a living selling art when amateurs "cheap sell" their work, it devalues everything near it. So the gallery owner is looking out for you, and everyone else. :smile:

Good luck with the show, selling something to a complete stranger brings a great sense of satisfaction.

16. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Congratulations!... It's a great feeling isn't it... In the middle of a showing, myself.

When I first started hanging photo work, I wasn't sure what price to charge either. After a ton of research, I started from scratch and tested the waters with a base and rose from there. I chose a number that I felt comfortable with to start and immediately added 10%-15%, as I am usually my own worst critic, as are most. Not to mention, the time and labor invested in our work, is usually far greater than we all would like to admit.... lol - I feel the price should reflect that.

When drilling down a consistent price, I think about it this way... Until you start getting some push back on your price, your not high enough. ;-)

You never want to devalue your work, just for the sake of a sale. Quality over quantity. At least for me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Congrats and good luck!

18. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Awesome, way to go

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I've been a fan of your images from the first time I saw one. Hopefully those with the money to spend will agree. Good luck and have fun.