Art Filters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by NickLeon, Jan 11, 2012.

1. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    All credit to Derick who suggested a thread about the Olympus Art Filters in another thread. I took delivery of an E PL2 yesterday and had the chance to wander around the City of Wells this morning. I tried out Grainy Film and Dramatic Tone and was surprised how well the latter worked with the old buildings.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i find that dramatic tone works great on OLD worn out looking things
    it makes them look more old n worn out
    in a good way!
  3. Offriver

Offriver Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2011
    So true!

No Art Filter:
    Last Import-256 by offriver, on Flickr

Dramatic Tone:
    Last Import-258 by offriver, on Flickr
  4. esatpil

esatpil New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2012
    Wonderful pics, I have an EP3 on the way.

Which Lens was used for these pics?

5. bridgemix

bridgemix Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    Nice photos!
    Is there art filters in all Pen models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Some have more than others.
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Art filters are a lot like drugs. Use in moderation they can be a lot of fun and kind of interesting and even occasionally revelatory. But overdone, they just another nasty addiction that can confuse you as to the worth of the underlying image. I've had Pens in the past that didn't have the dramatic tone filter. Last summer I got an EP3 and for about 2-3 weeks I shot EVERYTHING with that filter because I liked it so much. Fortunately, I was bracketing the art filter with clean files as well, and sometimes the grainy B&W filter also. And after a few weeks, I started HATING the look of that filter and went back and found that I liked the clean version of a lot of those photographs a lot more than the art filter version, and could usually get the best out of them by applying some more subtle post processing to the clean file. Now I almost never shoot with the art filters because I found combinations of filters in Color Efex Pro that looked similar enough and I could manipulate with much more control.

If the drugs analogy doesn't work for you, think of it like a new effects box for an electric guitar. When I was a kid, I'd get a new effects box for my guitar and suddenly everything I played sounded better because the SOUND was so good, or at least so new. After a while I'd come to realize that I was forgetting to play any actual MUSIC because I was so caught up in the sound. So then in time I'd start using the effects box a lot less frequently and relying on the music. An art filter, particularly when its new, can make a fairly mediocre photograph look really good, but its mostly surface appeal. So I got to where I prefer to judge the worth of my photos fairly clean out of the camera, where my judgement isn't clouded, and then apply the post processing effects I think work best to the good ones. But if the photo comes out with the PP already applied, it was too easy to think a lot of fairly useless photographs were better than they were because they had such a nice surface "look".

YMMV, but that's my experience...

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    When I was still using my E600, if I used art filters, I shot raw plus jpeg. I got the imediate satisfaction of the art filter and the ability to go back to a clean image.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Thanks for the comments.
    I used a 20mm Panasonic all morning - again a new acquisition and the first time I used it outside. I started on this micro 4/3 thing with a G1 with the 14-45 kit lens, added the 45-200 a few months later, then bought the 20 and decided I needed a second body (well I didn't really 'need' it but you know how it goes).
    Ray, thanks for the comments and I can see where you are coming from - I won't be using the effects all the time by any means - I think one reason that the dramatic tone works for me in these is because I'm into history and I have seen a lot of hand-tinted photos/postcards of older buildings over the years.
    Yes Fred, I shot raw plus jpeg as well so I can still play around with the images if I want too.
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Works for me - lol