1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Arsat 50 mm f/2.0 Tilt+Shift

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Pan Korop, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Just got it today. If the optical design is quite old, this lens is in a totally mechanical mount, available so far only for µ4/3.

Here's the Arsat 50mm f/2.0 T/S no tilt nor shift but rotated 120° (4 click-stops) to show its tilt scale and worm drive.

Arsat50-straight.jpg

Same with full down tilt (8°) and right shift (11 mm).

Arsat50-tilted.jpg

The lens is apparently the standard Kiev 35 mm SLR lens 50 mm f/2, normally in N(ikon) mount, directly attached to a tilt-shift block. The same unit has been used for many adaptations, usually of Kiev 66 lenses to 35 mm cameras.

Here the lens is originally for 35 mm, and it amply covers the movements : +/- 8° tilt, and 11 mm shift (this in a single direction).
    The lens rotates freely--360° or more--with click-stops every 30°.
    Like with Nikon and Canon TS lenses, the lens is supplied with the movements crossed : you may shift left-right (or up-down) AND tilt up-down (or left-right), but you can't tilt left-right together with left-right shift. A usual annoyance. On the Arsat, unlike Canon and Nikon, this cannot be altered even in a workshop.

On the other hand, the T/S aluminum block it's much more robustly built than either Canon or Nikon's T/S fiber-resin contraptions : you may take it in the field.
    Also, the Arsat shw no play or wobble in its movements. These are driven by two lazy-worm screw knobs, and have no lock. I found back the same positive command I had with old PC-Nikkor lenses (for shift only, of course).

Same to pivot the lens : firmly grab and twist it against the rather heavy friction, with distinct click stops every 30°.

Focusing is of course manual, revolving counterclockwise, i.e. Nikon-Pentax way. Good old-school mechanical feeling. It closes up to 0,5 m... theoretically : when focused at infinity, my lens scale reads not infinity but 4 mm to the right below the "1" in 10 m. So, questionable adjusting, but we'll see if it can help when slightly tilted...

F stop adjusting goes from f/2 to 16, with half-click stops.

Finally, filter size is a convenient 52 mm.

I'll let you know of the practical results... if anyone cares.

• Like Like x 5
  2. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks! I care!

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I love that solid aluminium mounting, looks great. Old design, so how come a m4/3rds mount now?
    Show us some architectural piccies ...

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Здоровенькі були, пане Короп! (And my sincerest apologies if I'm mistaken and you're not Ukrainian).

May I ask you where did you get this lens? Is it sold directly by Arsenal factory?

5. phillygoat

phillygoat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2011
    I'd also LOVE to see some samples taken with this lens (esp interested in architectural). Also, where do I get one? :)

6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Eh-he... I see cyrillic Koi-8U gets through even here. Yup, not mistaken, із Полтави ;)
    You made my day, and my mother's too, when I shared it--Щиро дякуем !

Er... Getting somehow off-thread, uh?

No, not from Arsenal. In Kiïv, locals complain the factory store people are "Sovok's" (i.e. passé soviet-culture ridden)... Seems some technicians buy the lenses and adapt them. Tried to get one from Minsk, Peleng Co. but PayPal told me my country France doesn't allow transfers to that account. Good: this means Belomo factory is connected to Lukashenko's dictature, and his gang's frozen accounts. Got it finally from the US... and Paypal's bill states Peleng8 for the recipient. Same seller says "this lens was never made at Arsenal's" when it reads ARSAT.
    Queeriest of all when buying this Ukraïnian lens sold by Bielorussians from the States, sent by USPS to France?
    The padding in the box wasn't plastic chips, nor new-age wrapping popcorn, no...
    Korean newspapers!

Moodern tiimes...

First tests: nothing as sharp as my Nikkor AI-P 2.8/45 wide open, OK. but it does tilt and at f/5.6 to 8 does the job for commercial shots I'd expect from the 85 PC-E Nikkor costing 10x times more. For 13 x 39 mm three-shots panoramas, we'll see, and I promise I let you lads and lasses know.

PS: complete with USPS shipping plus customs plus scandalously inflated "handling taxes" from the infamous french Chronopost courier (2 X the customs VAT charge) cost me ca. $ 355.-
    The seller does seem shady, but appears an excellent trustable eBayer.

PPS: all in all, a shift adapter, or tilt adapter--it's one or the other--cost about the same... without glass!

7. johnb5319

johnb5319 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi there!

Any images posted yet or further thoughts?

Thanks

8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Yeah... I did not luck out. Images are rather soft (low contrast + low def), but not improving as customary if stopping down: culprit seems the front lens group, which has uncemented. All I have to do now is get a fresh lens (they're about $ 30 on ebay), replace the original I got in the same tilt/shift mount. Will still be cheaper than getting a real full-format T/S plus adapter, and still useful for table-top product shots.

Still working on "chipping" these lenses. Btw, is this one to be quoted as adapted or "native" ? Beats me...