1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Arrow Pad Control Dial E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Nov 6, 2013.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Has anyone had the experience that the control dial has become very fiddly, jumping around between settings, and making it very difficult to scroll through pictures to review them.

Also when making settings requiring pressing the cursors, they jump around?

Isabel
    P.S. I can't see my title because I have a black background and my text is in black. Can't find where to change my background,

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It might help you get more replies if you posted which body you're talking about. :)

3. isabel95

Sorry...was having trouble seeing my title on the black background with Firefox.

It's the E-PL5.

4. exciter0

exciter0 New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2011
    My E-PM2 had the same issue, moving the dial made settings jump around. I sent it in for repair and olympus replaced the dial as well as performed some sort of calibration on it. I'm glad it's fixed as it was driving me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

5. isabel95

thanks...I think I'm going to have to send mine in too.

6. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Yes, my E-PL5 does the same thing. Maybe I'm just more tolerant of it, but it's nice to know I can send it in and get it fixed.

7. isabel95

Yup...I suspect that it may be a chronic problem with this part. It's just vulnerable with all the work it has to do.

Just remember when you pack up the camera to remove your battery and SD card - I had mine all nicely wrapped and was part of the way to UPS when I realized I hadn't removed them.

Just in case it's beyond your warranty time remember that if you bought the camera with certain credit cards you may be entitled to an extended year's manufacturer's warranty if you can prove your provide the proper documentation.

8. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I noticed the warranty on my camera expires in a couple weeks. So, I did the paperwork, packed it up, and shipped it off to Olympus this afternoon. Thank you for this posting...it saved me $150.

9. isabel95

You're so welcome - glad I asked if others had had the issue!

Isabel

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh dear - my E-PL5 does this from time to time. Sounds like it'll get worse...

11. isabel95

Mine got worse gradually. Have yours fixed before your warranty runs out.

12. isabel95

My e-pl5 returned from Precision Camera, who does Olympus repairs now, and is working fine. I was surprised that they sent it in such a small box, since I went to such great lengths to pad it and make sure it wasn't damaged in shipment. It arrived weighing in a .7 lbs, while the package I shipped weighed 1.2 lbs!

They updated the firmware, cleaned the sensor, fixed the problem, and di other routine maintenance.

I have been concerned that the controller wheel is a vulnerable part and I have to find ways to use it less. While reading the manual (which I think is always a good idea to go back to) I learned a couple of viewing hints that will save wear - somehow I had overlook them: You can use a slider on the lcd to zoom in on an image you're reviewing and you can scroll through the picture by sliding your finger across the screen. I know - those are pretty basic - and one wonders how I could have missed them!

Now I'm going back to the manual to see what else I can discover to save wear and tear on that part.

13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I had the same problem with that camera. I spoke to some Olympus reps at Photo Expo and it is a well known problem. Companies budget for warranty work when setting the price for an item. If there is a chronic problem and warranty costs go above anticipated costs, they take a hit on profits. What is almost always done is to redesign the offending part/assembly so it stops breaking and use the revised part when doing repairs. I would be surprised if Olympus hasn't done this with the control wheel.