Argus 50mm F3.5 Cintar on the EP2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian S, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    This lens sat in a basement drawer for a long time, sitting on a broken Argus C3 that had been used for parts to repair another camera. I have some Contax Sonnar mounts left over from converting lenses to Leica mount, and decided to convert the Cintar to Nikon S-Mount. The lens is now collimated for use on the Nikon RF's, which means they can be used on the Leica and EP2 using an Amedeo adapter. Three for one.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The 50/3.5 Cintar is a three-element design. The Argus C3 is "Clunky", despite having one bought at an antique store- never shot film through it.

[​IMG]

After testing the lens on the EP2, I can see why the camera sold so well.

3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    [​IMG]

This lens has a nice signature, smooth Bokeh. I suspect that on a full-frame camera you need to stop-down for edge-to-edge performance, but on the EP2- wide-open is fine.

4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    This lens is coated, and I did not notice flare being a problem. The converted varob, different story regarding flare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see that another mu43 member made an adapter to use the Cintars. I suspect that this might be the only S-Mount Cintar lens.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Beautiful. You shame me since my Cintars have been sitting unloved for a year. I just haven't gotten to it. Now watch the price of old Argus cameras shoot through the roof on ebay!!!!! They might even hit $10.

Can you post more details about what you did? Also, who was the other person that did it? I found the gallery for "red" that has shots of it but no post about it.

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I made this one up as I went along: the lens comes apart easily, one screw acts as a guide pin for the inner and outer helical. Once out, the rear comes off. 4 ser screws hold the outer collar on. A retaining ring around the rear holds the helical together. I ended up using that retaining ring as a "variable stand-off shim" to mount the optical cell into the Zeiss Sonnar mount. I've been getting good results using an old/heavy Vice to press the lens into the mount and using cement to fix it into place. I use a through-the-lens viewer to set the shim into place. same technique used to convert the Exakta mount Tessar to Contax and S-Mount. that one- photographed up the second conversion, and I will be posting soon.

7. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Brian - Your conversions always amaze - Thanks!