1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Argus 50mm F3.5 Cintar on the EP2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian S, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    This lens sat in a basement drawer for a long time, sitting on a broken Argus C3 that had been used for parts to repair another camera. I have some Contax Sonnar mounts left over from converting lenses to Leica mount, and decided to convert the Cintar to Nikon S-Mount. The lens is now collimated for use on the Nikon RF's, which means they can be used on the Leica and EP2 using an Amedeo adapter. Three for one.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The 50/3.5 Cintar is a three-element design. The Argus C3 is "Clunky", despite having one bought at an antique store- never shot film through it.

[​IMG]

After testing the lens on the EP2, I can see why the camera sold so well.

3. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    [​IMG]

This lens has a nice signature, smooth Bokeh. I suspect that on a full-frame camera you need to stop-down for edge-to-edge performance, but on the EP2- wide-open is fine.

4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    This lens is coated, and I did not notice flare being a problem. The converted varob, different story regarding flare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I see that another mu43 member made an adapter to use the Cintars. I suspect that this might be the only S-Mount Cintar lens.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Beautiful. You shame me since my Cintars have been sitting unloved for a year. I just haven't gotten to it. Now watch the price of old Argus cameras shoot through the roof on ebay!!!!! They might even hit $10.

Can you post more details about what you did? Also, who was the other person that did it? I found the gallery for "red" that has shots of it but no post about it.

6. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I made this one up as I went along: the lens comes apart easily, one screw acts as a guide pin for the inner and outer helical. Once out, the rear comes off. 4 ser screws hold the outer collar on. A retaining ring around the rear holds the helical together. I ended up using that retaining ring as a "variable stand-off shim" to mount the optical cell into the Zeiss Sonnar mount. I've been getting good results using an old/heavy Vice to press the lens into the mount and using cement to fix it into place. I use a through-the-lens viewer to set the shim into place. same technique used to convert the Exakta mount Tessar to Contax and S-Mount. that one- photographed up the second conversion, and I will be posting soon.

7. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Brian - Your conversions always amaze - Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.