1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Are you using IBIS with the EPM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Nov 6, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I know Ming Thein doesn't and so doesn't this reviewer:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f102/my-epm1-review-18929/

I think both users had a problem with mirroring most likely. That could possible be an issue of using a tripod without anti shock turned on.

What Ming says:

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I use the IBIS most of the time because I forget to turn it off. I think I must have one of the good copies of this camera, as I have never had any issues. I run the latest version of firmware, but had nil issues on the previous version also.

Having said that, on the rare occasion that I would use a tripod I would definitely disable the IBIS.

3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I've had that issue when using my 40-150 zoom lens, I've never seen it using any of the primes.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I also forget to turn it off, but use anti-shock. Even without anti-shock, I didn't notice any specific problems. The IBIS is the not the quickest thing to turn off, especially on the E-PM1.

5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    IBIS on always (and gives me 2 stops I reckon) except for long exposures on a tripod. Not noticed a problem ever handheld, but it really does screw up long exposures on a tripod.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I always use IBIS for slower shutter speeds. When shooting action (which of course needs a fast shutter speed) I turn IBIS off to avoid the delay it causes. When in a strobe light-filled studio, I could go either way. My shutter speeds are high enough that IBIS does no good, but fractions of seconds of time don't make a difference so there's no real need to turn it off either. Sometimes my shutter speed does get slow enough for IBIS to do some good, so I generally leave it on in most instances in the studio.

I hardly ever use a tripod, but on the rare instances I do... I definitely turn IBIS off.

As far as E-PM1 specific IBIS problems, I have tested my cameras rigorously to this effect. My first early-production E-PM1s had shown a problem in one out of two cameras. That went away after a firmware update, and after more rigorous testing no longer showed a problem. So at the moment none of my cameras should have an IBIS problem, though I haven't tested my newest late-production E-PM1. I just assume all the glitches are gone by now, as they've fixed other things as well (even the overly bright power light has been toned down somewhat and is now a different color).