Are you using IBIS with the EPM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Nov 6, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I know Ming Thein doesn't and so doesn't this reviewer:

I think both users had a problem with mirroring most likely. That could possible be an issue of using a tripod without anti shock turned on.

What Ming says:

2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I use the IBIS most of the time because I forget to turn it off. I think I must have one of the good copies of this camera, as I have never had any issues. I run the latest version of firmware, but had nil issues on the previous version also.

Having said that, on the rare occasion that I would use a tripod I would definitely disable the IBIS.
  3. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I've had that issue when using my 40-150 zoom lens, I've never seen it using any of the primes.
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I also forget to turn it off, but use anti-shock. Even without anti-shock, I didn't notice any specific problems. The IBIS is the not the quickest thing to turn off, especially on the E-PM1.
  5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    IBIS on always (and gives me 2 stops I reckon) except for long exposures on a tripod. Not noticed a problem ever handheld, but it really does screw up long exposures on a tripod.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I always use IBIS for slower shutter speeds. When shooting action (which of course needs a fast shutter speed) I turn IBIS off to avoid the delay it causes. When in a strobe light-filled studio, I could go either way. My shutter speeds are high enough that IBIS does no good, but fractions of seconds of time don't make a difference so there's no real need to turn it off either. Sometimes my shutter speed does get slow enough for IBIS to do some good, so I generally leave it on in most instances in the studio.

I hardly ever use a tripod, but on the rare instances I do... I definitely turn IBIS off.

As far as E-PM1 specific IBIS problems, I have tested my cameras rigorously to this effect. My first early-production E-PM1s had shown a problem in one out of two cameras. That went away after a firmware update, and after more rigorous testing no longer showed a problem. So at the moment none of my cameras should have an IBIS problem, though I haven't tested my newest late-production E-PM1. I just assume all the glitches are gone by now, as they've fixed other things as well (even the overly bright power light has been toned down somewhat and is now a different color).