Are you still using your 14mm f2.5?

MDRV6

Mu-43 Rookie
I was curious if I was the only one who thinks this way. I originally purchased this lens because I really liked the size and weight. But whenever I use it, I'm reminded that at normal distances I can get very similar images with my iphone because of the similar angle of view and lack of shallow depth of field. At which point, I just put my 17mm f1.8 back on my camera.

Obviously m43 sensor size is much bigger than on an iphone, so overall quality should be better, but the iphone's image quality never bothered me.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
An interesting question.
I have never wanted one of these, never had one either.
I goes for peanuts on the used market. The kit zoom is like f3.5, mabee that's why?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I like the 28mm "look" which is why I have a dedicated camera (Ricoh GR) in that focal length. It's not for everyone, however if you really grow to know it well, it provides some very effective effects (look up videos on pulling the subject in/pushing the subject out based on where you place yourself in relation to the subject). Lots of folks like the 14mm f2.5 for its fast focus, tiny size and good IQ. I owned it for a little while years ago but I think my copy was bad.

MDRV6

Mu-43 Rookie
@agentlossing I actually like the 28mm look also but my issue is that I can get that from my iPhone. It kind of gives me a 2 lens, 2 body set up. 35mm with the 17mm and 28mm with the iphone. I was also contemplating on purchasing a GR but realized I could probably be ok with the 14mm and my newly acquired GX85 which again leads me to the iphone These thoughts make me go in circles. I'll look into the pull the subject in effect you talked about. Sounds interesting and maybe it'll get me into shooting with the 14mm more.

@Bushboy It's funny you mention that. That's the reason I don't use the kit lens either. The images look similar enough to my iphone because of the speed of the kit lens. I do like the 12-32 though because it does offer a focal length the iphone doesn't provide.

As an aside 14mm + gx85 balances great when hanging from a neck strap. 14mm + em5II is back heavy.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Now that I have my 12-32 pancake for my G9, I haven't used it for ages. I used it an awful lot on my GX8, it was the very first lens i bought for it, and I managed to find an old stock Panasonic 3 lens adapter kit for it (ultrawide, fisheye and macro) I really loved that setup, probably goes a fair way to explaining why I've been reluctant to part with it.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
@MDRV6 I don't consider iPhone shots to be necessarily comparable, since I can achieve lots more creative options using a real camera with manual settings, raw files with lots of data, etc. Hence I've decided to go expensive with my compact camera and cheap with my smartphone. Final expenditure is about the same as if I had purchased a top of the line smartphone.

MDRV6

Mu-43 Rookie
@agentlossing I like my real cameras, but without fail whenever I get a new iphone, I feel like I can stop using my normal gear. You can shoot raw and use manual settings with an iPhone, though there is really only one aperture setting per lens. You can arguably be just as creative with an iPhone. This is another black hole I find myself in. Even though I can shoot raw with the iPhone, I always choose not to because of "live photos." I love seeing the context of the photos. I'm guessing it's because I really only take pictures of my family these days, and I like seeing (and hearing!) what they were doing before and after the picture is taken.

ma401

Mu-43 Regular
I just received my 14mm f2.5 in the mail the other day, coincidentally just days after breaking my 12-32mm. It went right on the E-PM2 and I've been happily snapping away - mostly indoors and mostly in poor light. I really enjoy setting my camera to monotone colour and cranking the ISO way up..mostly I am using it like a M4/3 version of my Ricoh GRD.

It's a great lens and a great focal length, the depth of field at f2.5 is plenty for most of what I shoot and I find myself rarely touching the aperture setting. It is making for a great companion to my E-PM2, this lens is wonderfully small and light and quick focusing. I actually like it more than the 12-32mm but that may be due to my familiarity with the focal length.

Last edited:

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
I was curious if I was the only one who thinks this way. I originally purchased this lens because I really liked the size and weight. But whenever I use it, I'm reminded that at normal distances I can get very similar images with my iphone because of the similar angle of view and lack of shallow depth of field. At which point, I just put my 17mm f1.8 back on my camera.

Obviously m43 sensor size is much bigger than on an iphone, so overall quality should be better, but the iphone's image quality never bothered me.
Yup. Absolutely love it. I feel between the Panasonic 14/2.5 and 25/1.7 I have an equilibrium. I love using both as they're my favourite focal lenghts.

Still haven't bit the bullet on a 15mm because I'd miss the size of the 14

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I do not use it often, but every once in a while I snap it on my E-PL7 for a tiny package and I am reminded what a good lens it is.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I do not use it often, but every once in a while I snap it on my E-PL7 for a tiny package and I am reminded what a good lens it is.
It's a great little lens for sure. It cops a bit of criticism for having as fair amount of CA at times, but there are far more expensive lenses that aren't any better :)
I've written it before, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sigma or Leica had a little bit of input into the design. It's got that lovely, contrasty, rich look to the files it produces. Get close to your subject, and the OOF background is quite nice. Shame that it cops the "kit lens" stigma

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
personally hate the shooting experience with an iphone... it doesn't suit my way of shooting... its way too fiddly

I had the 14 before i got the 17, and it has only been in the last couple of years that I started using the 14 again.

Its not a lens I would ever get rid of... its a perfect pairing with my E-PL6

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PB060051 by kevinparis, on Flickr

P5230182 by kevinparis, on Flickr

P8290005 by kevinparis, on Flickr

too many wise monkeys by kevinparis, on Flickr

Think I would have struggled to get those shots from an iphone.

more here

Panasonic 14mm

K

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
My interest in the 14mm prime is still evolving. I bought it to form a pocketable set of sharp primes along with a 20mm or 25mm and a 45mm. That's about the only way I've been using it. I tend to rely too much on a zoom for quick shots - especially the 14-150 II, which can let me down at 14mm. This spring, I want to pit that 14mm prime against my 7-14, 9-18, and 12-32 for a variety of landscape shots. It's time I varied my kit more.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
My interest in the 14mm prime is still evolving. I bought it to form a pocketable set of sharp primes along with a 20mm or 25mm and a 45mm. That's about the only way I've been using it. I tend to rely too much on a zoom for quick shots - especially the 14-150 II, which can let me down at 14mm. This spring, I want to pit that 14mm prime against my 7-14, 9-18, and 12-32 for a variety of landscape shots. It's time I varied my kit more.
As always a lot is dependant on each photographers expectations and of their intended outcome

Personally I have little interest in shooting landscape, have little interest in the finer details of resolution. All I seek are capturing the images that satisfy my particular tastes
K

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I used it a lot before the 12-32 came out. Then I used it for a while again until I got my X70. Then I sold.

Still a wonderful lens, I actually like it better than the 15mm (I know I'm odd).

Real Name
Paul Franklin Stregevsky
I still use mine, but only as the host for two conversion lenses: a Fujifilm 0.76x wide-angle and a Sony fisheye. These three optics are my "big kit" counterparts to my two everyday-belt-pouch pancakes: 17mm f/2.8 and 9mm f/8.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't see much different between my 14 and 12-35 @ 14mm.

The 14's size and ability to go wide with the GWC1 make it a keeper for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom