Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Color managed web browsing!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Yeah Amin... I'm seeing colors...
Oh man am I seeing colors....

I thought that was embedded in the newest Firefox update last week...
What say you?

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, I've just downloaded and enabled the module in my Firefox 3.6 and it didn't complain...

Cheers

Brian

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I believe that IE 7 also has color management disabled by default, and AFAIK IE 8 doesn't support color management yet.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
If in doubt, save your images for web display in sRGB colour space.

Cheers

Brian

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Definitely save web images in sRGB so that those using color profile unaware browsers (most people) will be seeing the right colors.

The problem is, most people don't intentionally save web images in sRGB, and not all applications do this by default, so if one uses a color profile unaware browser, you never know whether you're seeing the right colors. An image converted to and saved as Adobe RGB will look very dull if viewed in an unmanaged browser.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
My PC has really slowed down since the last Firefox update .. to 3.6

When I close Firefox it appears to "shut down" but it never does and I have to do a Ctrl Alt Delete job and shut it down manually

The iMac should arrive tomorrow or the day after and I plan to use it almost exclusively for photo stuff

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Bill, I had a clash with AVG antivirus and Firefox 3.6 I think... uninstalled AVG and bought PC Tools + antivirus instead.

Cheers

Brian

Christilou

Mu-43 Top Veteran
sRGB

I don't know if this is relevant to the ongoing thread but since d p Review enabled the uploading of files into their Gallery, I have found that any image that I have uploaded from Aperture has the wrong colour signature when I view it myself in d p Review. I am using the sRGB colour profile and wonder if that means that everyone else is seeing the horrible colours that I am? They look fine in Aperture, upload them and they look green and dull and not at all as I intended. Can anyone shed any light on this?

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bill, I had a clash with AVG antivirus and Firefox 3.6 I think... uninstalled AVG and bought PC Tools + antivirus instead.

Cheers

Brian

Brian thanks - I think maybe I need a good DEFRAG

I use Zone Alarm

I have downloaded this colour management thing and installed it - is the default on automatically - or do I have to enable it somewhere?

hanzo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chan

Cheers

Brian

You can try to disable AVG plugin for browser.. that slows things down.. I think.
Nowadays I use Chrome.. too bad they don`t have extensive plugins support.

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
...if you want to see colors the way they were meant to be seen. It can make a big difference.
Safari users have color management enabled by default :wink:.

Tried it, but on my mac it doesn't seem to work properly. Still different from safari color management (which is correct).

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
firefox 3.6 has colour management on by default. If you read the docs for that plugin, it's just a gui interface for switching it on and off.

It's causing some web sites/apps headaches... web pages that use images and coloured html mixed are looking all off.

The reason is pictures/images get colour correction, html does not. As a result the 2 - same colour items won't look the same anymore.

There's a bunch of information on this if you do a web search. It's definitely on in the newer firefoxes by default. (was available on the older firefoxes but off by default)

And for anyone who's wondering, the fix for it for images on web sites, is to delete the icc colour profile embedded in the images.

reference : http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/color-correction/

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
firefox 3.6 has colour management on by default. If you read the docs for that plugin, it's just a gui interface for switching it on and off.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. Information gets dated so quickly. I'm right now on a machine with FF 3.5.8, and it seems that this one is color managed by default as well (I have done nothing to enable it but it is definitely managed). Not sure what version they made it the default.

If anyone wants to know whether the browser they are using is color managed, this tutorial will show you.

Latest threads

Top Bottom