Are you not entertained? David Thorpe has the right idea...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I absolutely do not disagree with any of the above comments or with David, but I also believe that it does not have to be an either or situation. I certainly need to improve my skills and vision, no question about that, but I also see people who are very creative take a piece of technology and implement it in ways that I could not imagine. So, while I may not shoot 4k or 8k video, it does not mean that it doesn't offer a creative person technology to use as they see fit, and I can appreciate that. Some areas where we have benefitted go beyond just FPS, to things like live composite and in camera focus stacking. Or Panasonic's ability to "refocus" an image. I may not use any of these features, but I suspect there are people pushing gear to its limits. Now whether they produce good art is a different question (see my second sentence in this post), but if this technology costs me little or nothing, and possibly gives me a feature that I could use, I am okay with that. I see well produced video clips and sometimes wish I would just break out of my stills mode and to try and produce something a bit different. I may not succeed, but I probably opened up my mind a bit more. So, do I need 8k? No. Would I complain if it came on my next camera? No.

--Ken

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I have a theory about why the ring falls off. I don't use the lens very often, but when I do, I can never remember which direction to turn the zoom ring to deploy the lens (get it expanded to be used, like with the m43 9-18). My theory is that if you repeatedly turn it the wrong way you gradually cause damage to it, especially considering that it takes a little effort to turn it to get it to come out even when you do know the correct direction. So I always try to very gingerly twist it on my first guess (50/50 chance, like with a micro-USB plug - usually I get 75% wrong! ;) ).

Been there, still doing that.
When I switch between my Nikon and Olympus, I almost always have that problem, until my muscles finally figure out what lens they are working.
In the beginning of a shoot, I am always twisting the zoom ring, trying to get my hand/arm muscles to get used to which way to turn.
Last week at school, was "one of those days" where I kept turning the zoom ring the wrong way, and missing shots. :(
Covid has gotten my muscles all rusty, and they fell back to years of using a Nikon zoom. And I was doing so well last year.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I think that might have been another reason I never really "loved" the Panasonic 12-35 when I had it even though it took great photos. With all my other zooms having the ring go the other way, I am sure when I did get it right on the Panasonic I probably still had a sub-conscience "this isn't right" feeling about using it.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Yeah, the 12-32 is such a great lens when its zoom ring falls off. I had one of them, and there was nothing particularly great about it.

I've long suspected that users that complain about this just twist it the wrong way to retract (which is easy to do if you're not careful). Nothing like what you describe has happened to mine; it's a marvel of sharpness for its size so I have to disagree with your statement (as do many others).

Latest threads

Top Bottom