Are you not entertained? David Thorpe has the right idea...

Real Name
Mike Peters
http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/2021/01/30/you-want-8k-already/ (I really love his writing)

He posits that what we have is really great, probably more than most of us will ever need. I tend to agree.

You?

I used to be a gear whore, changing systems in hopes to pull myself up from my own mediocrity. I failed every time and got so much more in debt with each system change. The holy grail does not exist outside of ourselves. The camera in our hands is generally not the limiting factor in our growth as photographers or video makers, it is the impediments between our ears that pose the biggest challenges and the most insurmountable barriers to our images.

More megapixels and greater dynamic range will not make our limitations disappear. An honest self assessment, or perhaps an insightful critique from a thoughtful mentor will go much further than a GFX100 or a Sony A1 to making your images better, or more interesting. Truly learning how to process your images in a consistent way so you can bring out what you want to see will be more helpful than a new camera.

However most importantly, knowing who you are as a human being, and having a point of view or an idea as to what you want to say with your photos, shooting with intention, is what will elevate your photos beyond where you are today.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Kirk Tuck is a commercial photographer in Austin TX that regularly covers this issue in his Blog: https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/
A large proportion of his work is used by clients on their web pages, where the superb technical image quality created by 100 MP sensor cameras and lenses with eye watering high prices is pretty much lost and they have gigantic files to deal with.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
He posits that what we have is really great, probably more than most of us will ever need. I tend to agree.

You?

I have been relatively good about not chasing after a lot of gear at least with cameras and lenses.

I don't know how some people around here do it, buying so many cameras and lenses. I would be broke. My m43 world is mainly my E-M1.1, the 12-100 PRO for my zoom lens, and the 17/25/45 f1.8 prime set and I am pretty happy that this covers most of what I want to shoot. While thoughts of upgrading have crossed my mind, as you bring up in their topic, I have come to the conclusion that what I currently have already has more than I have mastered or features I probably won't use. Other than the above I have an IR converted E-P2 and three other minor m43 lenses that were all relatively cheap.

Where I do tend to waste money is buying little cheap things I think I should or will use but end up not really utilizing. I am talking cheap eBay accessories that tend to be in the sub-$20 range and even though may only cost a few bucks they can add up over time (e.g. white balance lens cap, mounting rails for tripod use when I barely use a tripod normally, adapters for one off film lenses I end up not using again after trying them out, etc.). Heck even the more expensive stuff like my tripod and the square filter set and holder I bought for a trip, even on the trip I didn't use as much as I thought and have mostly not touched any of them for a couple years. So I am in that middle state of do I not need them or do I need to make an effort to try and use them more?

Real Name
Mike Peters
Kirk Tuck is a commercial photographer in Austin TX that regularly covers this issue in his Blog: https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/
A large proportion of his work is used by clients on their web pages, where the superb technical image quality created by 100 MP sensor cameras and lenses with eye watering high prices is pretty much lost and they have gigantic files to deal with.

I read his blog all the time, and he does cover this. It's covered all over the place, but it bears repeating in this age of constant marketing and hype. In so many aspects of life, we're told over and over again that no matter what, we should never be satisfied with what we have, with regards to stuff. The older I get, the less I feel the need to chase after the next shiny object, and the more honest I become about my own shortcomings that newer and better stuff won't fix.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/2021/01/30/you-want-8k-already/ (I really love his writing)

More megapixels and greater dynamic range will not make our limitations disappear. An honest self assessment, or perhaps an insightful critique from a thoughtful mentor will go much further than a GFX100 or a Sony A1 to making your images better, or more interesting. Truly learning how to process your images in a consistent way so you can bring out what you want to see will be more helpful than a new camera.

Also Thom Hogan wrote about this topis recently.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
The 8K stuff is a little insane, especially since 4K displays haven't even reached widespread adoption yet. Gaming pushes 4K forward, but even though 4K capable consoles and video cards have been available for a while now, several of the gamers I know don't have 4K TVs yet, despite having upgraded to 4K consoles (!) The push on behalf of hardware companies toward 8K seems like rampant, disfunctional consumerism that's shooting themselves in the foot, because 4K is more mature and easier to make and sell.

Certainly the comment that we're out of ideas, so we buy new stuff hits home. I've experienced some of that in the past year, which I chalk up partially to covid and the inability to engage in my normal level of travel and street shooting.

In one sense, I think this acknowledges that different gear inspires us to shoot differently. If I were just chasing a spec, I'd feel a bit more guilty. But specs are only a part of what has recently made me change up some gear. Other things perhaps more substantial went into it, things which affect the "creative envelope" as Ming Thein calls it. I feel a bit better about that. https://blog.mingthein.com/2020/06/28/creative-envelope/

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
8K is not for the masses. Need monster computer to handle, and it is not now or even in 10 years a deliverable format IMHO. 1080P and 4K (for special projects and/or crop and pan down sized to 1080P) will make you a living IF YOU HAVE the Concepts and Skills. Seriously the shake out in the photography industry has and continues to happen because the phone now fills the basic still and video needs of 95% or more of the people who want some kind of image. You have to have skills or the technology won't take you to the promise land. If someone gave you a Stradivarius and a you had it for a year, would people think you were a master violinist? I have at various times sold images and videos (commercials/commercial videos for industry) and I know creative/production/post production. Two years ago I got a G9 and just bought a new one in December to have 2 identical cameras (makes video shooting a lot easier when to reduce time spent trying to match cameras in post production). I've used the same software for 20 years, and the same DAW for 6. Unless you are 1 in several million, it will take time, experience, and yes talent to make stills or videos (longer for video) that are as good and the stuff perceived as "good professional content".

10 years ago I'd say video and stills had gotten on a par with the film based media. For 5-7 years after innovations were being made that professionals and amateurs need(pro)/want(Am). If I compared my home studio to those I used to rent in the 70's through 90's for thousands of dollars a day, technically both in sound, stills and video I have better equipment. However how many of us have produced either stills or video's considered as good as the best of the films/stills produced by the top tier of artist or producers of that time frame?

I see releases of new equipment slowing to a 3-5 years cycle. 8K as a delivery format will require new infrastructure, more home band width, and new TV's. I contend 8K is really a format for crop/pans and the professionals not even considering the post production issues for the home user.

For me the 5.5K video format of the 6K H265 on the G9 is my "good enough" for pan/crop on the Down Rez to 4K for my video useage. How many have ever filled 2 256 gig cards in 4 or 5 hours of shooting? you will easily do that in the very efficient G9 6K format if you are doing a video. Unless something breaks I think I am for 5 to 6 years and at that time I will probably want to go to a smaller body than the G9. 6K/8K provides a real heat problem, 8k - ask Canon....

IMHO if the current gear is not good enough for you to produce museum quality images or Indy Movies, you probably need a new hobby or profession:)

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Master Thorpe speaks the truth...

Even though I enjoy watching the reviews of the Fuji GFX100S, a system based around that is probably the only thing I now lusts for.

Do I need it?

The answer to that is a big, fat NO, cant even afford it, but I do have a serious medium format itch, that needs scratching. On the other hand, its been unscratched since the early 80s, so there is always that, but some grails a fellow may lust for. :hiding:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Now that I'm retired, I grew out of chasing the latest and constant upgrading. Now, "Good Enough" works for me.

I built my Olympus kit by scrimping and saving for years.
Brownbagging my lunch for years, saved me a chuck of $$$$ and paid for some of my toys. The only thing close to brownbagging is the $1.50 hotdog and drink at Costco.

I have to cost justify a piece of gear to myself. Example: I would like the 100-400, but it can't justify it over my 75-300. The 75-300 is "good enough," for what I use it for.
Being retired has a cost, physically I am not as strong or have the endurance of a young guy. Weight has become a factor that it wasn't. So there are often times when I will carry the smaller/lighter non-pro lenses, rather than the larger/heavier pro lenses. And during the day, I don't need a f/2.8 lens. The non-pro lenses are "good enough," and won't wear me out.
If I wasn't shooting high school sports, I would not have half my kit. I would not be able to justify it to myself.

My TV is about 16 years old. My wife keeps telling me to replace it. Yeah, compared to the new TVs, the color is pretty flat. But it ain't broken.
"Good Enough" and Priorities.

Finally, any large expenditure gets discussed and cleared with the CFO, AKA the wife. This usually kills the impulsive purchases.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Master Thorpe speaks the truth...

Even though I enjoy watching the reviews of the Fuji GFX100S, a system based around that is probably the only thing I now lusts for.

Do I need it?

The answer to that is a big, fat NO, cant even afford it, but I do have a serious medium format itch, that needs scratching. On the other hand, its been unscratched since the early 80s, so there is always that, but some grails a fellow may lust for. :hiding:

Used MF gear is comparatively cheap.
Back in about 2004, I bought a Hasselblad 500cm + 80CF for less than the cost of my Nikon D70. I FINALLY had my dream camera. Actually a new one was so expensive, that I could not even dream about it.
If not, then a TLR. That is an itch that I need to scratch.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Having had an excursion this past summer into the Nikon Z series with a Z7 (45Mp worth) and then backed out again, I can only wholeheartedly agree with this post. As good as the Z7's IQ was, it made no PRACTICAL difference to my photography - and it was bigger, heavier, more expensive, had a more limited shooting envelope, and made my computer grind to a halt! My Oly gear really does all I need and the IQ is way more than I need for the output I produce.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd like a higher magnification viewfinder and wider DR. Other than that, I'm happy with my E-M10.

Last edited:

Seahawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Have to agree with most of you guys. After years of using various Nikons plus lenses I now use a Panny G90 plus a PLeica 12-60mm and a Panny 14-140mm. I also have a Lumix LX100 as a pocket camera. These cover all the photography I want to do. I loved the Nikons but I don't miss carrying them around.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had 2 of the Yashica-Mat 124 2 1/4's love those cameras (bought one in Vietnam at the PX for $100 or so). Then I got a Mamya C330 and C220 and forgot about them. Should have kept one, great fixed lens cameras.

Real Name
Mike Peters
I used to shoot all of my personal work with MF film cameras, both Rollei's and Hasselblad's until 2013. I did a direct comparison between my Hasselblad and 80mm lens and my GH3 and 20mm lens. It was NO CONTEST, the GH3 and 20mm lens combo blew the film images right out of the water in terms of sharpness, grain, clarity and well, everything. I made prints on an Epson 7900 that were 24 inches square, and the difference was as clear as day. At the time, I was using an Imacon scanner for all of my film, so the scan was not the problem. It was very apparent from my tests that shooting m4/3 with good lenses wide open, or close to it, would render a very similar look at shooting medium format lenses at their best shooting apertures, or apertures dictated by the limitations of their top shutter speeds. Except that the m4/3 images would have no grain, and with the lenses as good as they are, better sharpness and clarity too.

Same spot, different cameras...

432_110110r03f12 nyc 428.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

434_071814_2601_42-8 NYC.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Higher pixel densities drive up complexity, where substantial investments are needed for diminishing returns. We‘ve seen this technological plateau before—in the 90s and 2000s, upgrading your PC annually got you a noticeable gain in performance. Today, you can go 5+ years without an upgrade, and you would need to run benchmarks to really find the gains, unless you are a power user or PC gamer. If you’re a PC gamer, that might be the worst financial curse you can put on yourself, as there is always a chase for a few more FPS for a competitive edge, slightly better IQ (that require pixel peeping to notice), and more. One can spend thousands and thousands there and it never ends. Sound at all familiar? :)

In the 00s and 10s, the same could be said for smartphones. Now, the phone you buy today can go several years without feeling lacking—if it weren’t for planned obsolescence through software, at least.

Real Name
Roddy

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well that is a pretty vague statement with no other explanation to go with it. What does "better performer" mean to Dave?

I wouldn't dismiss any lens based on one person's vague statement. I used the 12-35/2.8 for years and was very happy with it. I never used the 12-32 but I can not imagine how it would be better. Maybe it could equal it at 12mm, but Dave didn't say "as good" he said "better". Without something more I am going to say "doubtful".

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom