1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are you looking forward to the Sony A77?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Herman, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Great specs are rumored, super high ISO range, will this camera "blow" it's competitors away?

2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I think Sony are leading the way in the slr technology in regards to their latest A series release. I hope they do change the game up a bit and give some challenges for Nikon and Canon to provide some innovation. not just add another number and some better iso performance etc. (while that is still a good/ok thing!)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If I was into that large a camera I probably would be. I just tried an A33 for a few days last week and its an incredible camera. the great live view of a mirrorless system with the blazing AF speed of a DSLR. And with the 16-80 Zeiss lens, incredible sharpness and resolution. I quickly realized it was just more camera than I'd be willing to haul around except to take to very specific events/occasions and I returned it, and its about as small and light as DSLR type cams get, so I guess that's just not the kind of camera I'm ever gonna like. But if I was OK hauling around that much camera, it would be a VERY strong contender.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Should be interesting when it gets released. All those people that are so fearful of an EVF and insist on a OVF will run away screaming bloody murder.

Just some humor there as an OVF is useful for low light and in some other instances. If all the rumors are true like a 24Mp APS-C sensor instead of a full frame sensor, SLT pellicle mirror and EVF. I think Sony is looking at the price that Panasonic has been able to get for the GH1 and GH2 and wants in on the action. Full frame sensor cameras are for people that make a living shooting in low light without a flash and will crop it anyway. I think Sony is after a different audience with their SLT cameras anyway than the full frame guys. Most of those full frame guys are going to stay with Canon or Nikon anyway.

I talk to photogs around different places and many of them dismiss Panasonic or Sony anyway.

I like my old G1. It's biggest weakness is the sensor and high ISO and also contrast focus. Sony addressed those issues for the most part.

I guess the good thing about Sony and Panasonic is they can do whatever they want with little risk since cameras are a small part of their manufacturing. Canon and Nikon can not afford any risks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies!
    Have both Nikon and Canon falling asleep regarding mirrorless / slt cameras?
    It seems they did, still are.
    I too use my wife's G1...Like Ricky does...

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    When I had a long look at the 55 I was surprised just how small it is, and yet it packs in a full set of the controls I like. The EVF is very good, but in my view just a little less excellent than the leading Panasonic models. It also has the Sony IBIS, which is really very good.

I am not in the market right now, but I do look forward to such a model, just to see where they are going with this type of camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    It will be interesting to see if they resolved the overheating problem with HD when IBIS is on. But it looks like it will be a very good HD camera. Still would like to see a A700 replacement dslr. SLT are good, but for full control when shooting action, the dslr option would be nice for sony users. Something like 8fps with full control with an ovf for tracking and panning shots.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IMHO, the SLT idea is just a stop gap until mirrorless comes of age. As CDAF approaches the level of PDAF in the GH2, the need for all the extra cost of producing this type camera will make it less profitable than mirrorless. Combine that with the inarguable disadvantage of diverting part of the image light, and it will die a quick death.

I would expect the 77 will be the last of the breed.

I DO agree the sensors have made a huge performance leap over everyone else in terms of high ISO, but that really isn't a factor in the discussion, as those sensors can just as well be used in mirrorless product.

• Like Like x 1
  9. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    I'm not sure how they can overcome the overheating problem since from what I've read, it's due to the sensor shift stabilization. Panasonic sidesteps a lot of that issue because their stabilizer is lens based. I've read the GH1 has a big heatsink on the sensor so maybe Sony can put a bigger sink on the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The A77 will be a larger body, so a heat sink is possible. I think that is why the nex went with lens IS over their IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Imagine going for a local photography course, how many teachers will advise a mirrorless camera over a Nikon or Canon?
    - The amount of lenses in the market for borrowing from a more experienced student and ending up buying (second hand and indirectly financing a new lens for the more experienced student) is to my understanding very big compared to mu43, Samsung and Sony all together.

Those big "guys" joining the fight with serious mirrorless camera's ((auto focus) not compatible with current lens line-up) is confusing their (potential) customers and it also requires parallel investments... (also next to their serious compacts without exchangeable lenses)

I can imagine that if they can afford to wait then they will wait and if they need to take action then they will do it very drastically (for example totally drop non-full-frame SLR specific roadmap).