1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are you looking forward to the Fujifilm FinePix X100

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Herman, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    If Fuji delivers what they promise, this camera will change things for many users.
    Fuji makes great products with care and attention to quality. The X100 will have me as a user if the dream becomes reality.

• Like Like x 3
  3. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Yes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely, yes, I am looking forward to this camera Herman. Can't wait to read and see some first hand reports.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If I can fit it into my budget, it will be mine. It's the camera I've been looking for. Large sensor, manual (oldschool) controls, classic camera design.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes.

I look forward to reading reviews, particularly field reviews, and comments from real users. I find the camera attractive on paper in so many ways.

I also suspect that we need it to be at least moderately successful for two other reasons:
    1. It's great to have another manufacturer doing well.
    2. It may place pressure on larger manufacturers to broaden their range of products and show a little imagination.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

This one ticks a lot of boxes but I have an agreement with someone close by that I have enough cameras. :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yeah Bill I know that agreement. My wife is also a member of the MU-43 spouses auxiliary. They know all, see all and say NO to all!

When I get the Fuji, I'm going to bring out a few Leica M's... Then the X100 will not stand out and I think I can sneak it in.

• Like Like x 3
  9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    In general, the X100 appears to be a near-perfect dedicated street camera: rangefinder-like layout, compact design, larger sensor, high-quality (but small) lens, manual controls and retro styling. It lacks the flexibility of an interchangeable lens camera, but for a certain range of shots, it should be fantastic.

It also makes me want Panasonic to do something similar in :43: even more. A GF1 with the 14mm lens is actually smaller than the X100 and if they moved flash to under the hot shoe, there would be plenty of room to build in a viewfinder in the typical rangefinder location. Yes, the image quality would be better with Fuji's fixed, high quality lens and larger sensor, but you'd gain the ability to change lenses with the Panny. Maybe, then, Leica could make a retro-styled version, which could really compete with the X100.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    The Fuji looks very tempting, but I'm in the camp of wait and see what happens to the early adopters.

I'm also crossing my fingers that Olympus will make something similar to this artist concept as the next E-P model:

pics_mingxa0_1262967621.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    its a camera... its a very nice camera.. i have played with it briefly at photokina...but at the end of the day its just a camera...and one you cant buy today....

photographs are more important than cameras...cant take a photograph with a camera you cant have

K

• Like Like x 4
  13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Ditto Kevin.

I am responsible for the image. I am also responsible for operating my equipment. Cameras are machines and inherently flawed. One way or another, the photographer always needs to adjust to the gear.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Unless they really crank it out of the park, I think with all the buildup, a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Kudos to Fuji, though, for having the chops to bring out a camera they know is going to flop with the average consumer, but may be a big hit with afficionados.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    True, it's only a camera. It's a form many seek. It should provide a way and feeling that many miss in today's camera design.
    I think it's gonna be a big success with those missing that design AND those that want to try something like it.
    Hopefully Fuji will deliver. At this point, they have a heck of an expectation to live up to.
    Time will tell.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

NO …

My initial thoughts were positive but I have rethought the camera. While I am not looking forward to it but I will keep my eyes open and my mind clear about it.

On the Positive:
    Titanium is nice, large sensor is a plus, hybrid viewfinder is interesting, retro is funky.

On the Negative:

It is not a range finder, it will not have interchangable lenses, it is from my point of view not a working camera but one that was designed to capture the retro market.

In fact it reminds me of an electronic version of a Canonet but with a half frame.

The Corenet, depending on the version, in its day sold from half the cost to the cost of a Pentax Spotimatic. The FinePix X100 at half the price of an entry level Pentax dSLR would be a buy, but at an equal cost it would really have to have some fire under the hood.

Time will tell as I am fickled and I may change my mind a number of times in the next six months!

• Like Like x 1
  17. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
  18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    No more of a "working" camera than a Hexar AF, Rollieflex (see Avadon), Noblex, Hasselblad SW, or a host of other cameras. I am not sure there is anything about the X100 that will not make it a working camera.

I am not really disagreeing with the way you work--that was after all your opinion and a valid one. But rather I am making a general statement showing there is a long history of great work and photographers that worked with a single focal length, whether the lens could be changed or not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    • Like Like x 1