1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are You a Photo Hoarder or Photo Trasher!?!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JStheoriginal, Apr 6, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Personally...I'm a hoarder. I just can't delete any photos unless they are really blurry. I've got tons and tons of photos I'll never likely do anything with. Why do I not just delete the ones I didn't process?!?

What are you? Hoarder or Trasher?

Do you trashers have any advice???

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ummmm
    im in between?
    ill have a huge amount of pics on card
    then ill go to import and delete a lot
    but then i still have a lot....
    lol

im biphotar!

3. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I'll claim to be a hoarder once I fill up my raid drive.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Both... I'll hoard and hoard and hoard. Then just take a day and delete thousand of images... than I'll be lioke why!? why did I delete you!? Then I'm over it, and my LR database is happier for it. It's really an emotional rollercoaster.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do hang onto slightly blurred photos in hopes that when I get focus magic it will be magical.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    hoarder - no question.

7. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    On import, i have lightroom set-up to copy all RAW files to a folder. Keeping all originals i ever shoot, in case i ever make a mistake and delete one i dont want...

8. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I am a wanabe trasher who's mainly a hoarder. I'd like to keep maybe 20% of my pics, but I reckon I keep >90%, even though they will mainly never get looked at again. When I had a 6MP compact camera shooting jpegs that was fine, but now with a G3 shooting always RAW, it's eating disk space like mad.

Sometimes I go through and try to have a cull, but I'm just not ruthless enough really. So I have no advice to give!

Rob

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I tend to be a bit of both because I shoot a lot when I do go out.

I import everything into Lighthouse and then do a quick review and try to remove at least 50% up front of bad shots and duplicates. Then I do a closer survey of what is left and try to reduce that again by half to get the total kept to around 25% of the original number.

10. Hoarder in between sequential hard drive crashes.

11. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    Hoarder. Definitely hoarder.

12. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I've shot around 5000 photos since last Oct. Some are just lens and camera tests. Others are missed focus etc. Some are plain bad! I've got about 500 still.

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I hoard. But if it's digital, is it still really hoarding?

I should tag more. Right now I'm only making picks and star those picks. I almost never use reject.

14. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'm keeping them since I still have a lot to learn about LR, PS, etc. Images I think are mediocre right now might be something I can make much better in the future.

15. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven
    Hoarder. I really need to be a bit more ruthless and get rid of the rubbish ones.

16. I avoid using spray-and-pray techniques so that my hoarding issues are not as bad as they might otherwise be. If I can get my hit rate for images I think are worthy of processing up to around 50% it means only half of my hard drive space is taken up by double-ups and shots that are technically okay but are otherwise bleh. The fuzzies and shockers do go straight in the trash, however.

17. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I hoard. Drive space is cheap, so I keep everything I shoot, unless it's all black or all white.

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Hoarder, 4TB and counting. Especially when shooting nature, I will go back over my shots and find something I missed or that I can use a shot differently.

19. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Horder. I try, but it is hard.:frown:

20. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    time for us all to be on "hoarders: buried alive" :wink: