Are we required to post photos?

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
This being a photography forum, I would have expected that the only subjects allowable would be violins and off road vehicles ...

Cat pictures are compulsory.

Otherwise, why? I don't need praise from strangers on the internet.

You could always post your photographs and ask people not to like them. A few scallywags will still hit the thumbs up just to wind you up though.

It's a photography forum. If no photos are uploaded, people will just talk about gear all of the time.

Don't be shy now.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, cat photos are compulsory. I'm convinced that the popularity of FF 35mm is so people can upload 274 photos of their pussy to Flickr (or should that be lickr) to impress the proletariat not using FF.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think a lot of shared photos here are basically average, and don't raise the bar in terms of the discussion of photography. And while most get a bunch of likes, I don't think most people share those photos because of a need for validation. I actually think those snapshots get shared because this is a fairly close community. Kind of like "work friends". You'd share your cat photos, for example, with them, so why not here? Are they necessary? Not really, but they are nice, or friendly, or at least an indication of a good spirit here.

Other photos are a vehicle to discuss technique, camera/lens capabilities, processing, style, etc. All of those are the lifeblood of a good photography forum. I think.

Then there are shared photos that are really good. They either show more unique images or are just technically amazing. They serve to inspire others, maybe to crawl into that swamp for a baby gator shot, or to strive to master their gear and use light in such a way to find "amazing". They help take this forum from average to much more than that.

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There's only so much that can be said about any subject. I think this forum would dry up pretty quickly without shared photos. I used to subscribe to some photography magazines, but they became too repetitive. It's important to have mixed content.

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
I come here to see what is possible with the equipment I actually have..... I like to see photos taken with MFT cameras and lenses that defy the critics of the system. I post for the same reason, (hopefully) to add to that database of imagery.

I do get what the OP is saying. I am one of those people who believes advice is like respect, it needs to be earned. Don't tell me how to drive if you don't have a license, don't tell me how to parent if you don't have kids. So I do believe that while posting photos may not be necessary, it certainly goes a long way (literally worth a thousand words) to showing how good of a photographer one is and therefore "if" one who should be listened too.

Real Name
Chris
Of course we are not required to post photos but I have seen this asked of a few apparently pompous posters but never in a general sense to a common user or lurker.

Most would secretly cheer a little when the pompous poster gets some pushback even when we know that kindness and respect is always the best approach ( officially :) )

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
If it's compulsory:

51196132670_7f89ab4cbb_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And just to make everyone mad, that's shot on a Pentax K1 using a vintage Super Takumar 50 1.4.

:p

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Initially it can be a bit daunting but it is encouraging when you feel a bit stuck, to get some likes. It keeps me going

Slinky Malinki

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I share photos of subjects that interest me, assuming rightly or wrongly that they may be of interest to other mu-43 members.

I also enjoy viewing other members photos. Sometimes they give me inspiration or insights into composition and lighting. Some photos I don’t like, whereas others make me smile and occasionally laugh.

I also enjoy “snapshots” of locations and events that I haven’t experienced.

And finally, yes, I also follow discussions about photography gear!

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am one of those people who believes advice is like respect, it needs to be earned. Don't tell me how to drive if you don't have a license, don't tell me how to parent if you don't have kids. So I do believe that while posting photos may not be necessary, it certainly goes a long way (literally worth a thousand words) to showing how good of a photographer one is and therefore "if" one who should be listened too.

Well, my advice to you is to not confuse experience with expertise.

e.g. a childless scientist may have spent her entire lifetime studying parenting vs. a meth-head who has had kids may not give good advice

to your last point: many top photographers will not post on forums as it dilutes their exhibits or other professional work - but they might give you advice

DGoakill

Mu-43 Regular
Well, my advice to you is to not confuse experience with expertise.

e.g. a childless scientist may have spent her entire lifetime studying parenting vs. a meth-head who has had kids may not give good advice

to your last point: many top photographers will not post on forums as it dilutes their exhibits or other professional work - but they might give you advice
You just proved my point. Being a scientist has nothing to do with being a parent. Study all you want, there is no substitute for actual experience. So in that example, the crack head has more real word tested advice. Regardless, that has nothing to do with the question at hand, which boils down to proof.

No one online should be considered an expert by default. There needs to be context they know what they are talking about. There could be a Pulitzer prize winning photographer on a forum giving out free advice. If we don't know who they are why would we pay them any more attention than anyone else? They need to provide some proof that they actually know something. And any pro at that level could easily post other work if for no other reason than to provide examples.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Photography is all about the photos. Attempting to capture and portray the atmosphere, smells, feelings etc. A visual medium. Not about the gear.

Latest threads

Top Bottom