Are we required to post photos?

Phocal

God
[Mod hat]

Please don't. That would violate the forum's Terms and rules #2 and #3.

If you believe a member is violating either of those rules, report this to the mods. Do not escalate the situation.
How is quoting something someone said a violation of a rule?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
How is quoting something someone said a violation of a rule?
Quoting someone is fine, until you land in this territory of rule 2:
...and not to attack, characterize, or otherwise comment on the perceived motives or perceived character of other posters.

Emphasis mine, but once you go and quote all the perceived inflammatory comments of someone, you're basically on the attack.

In all my years online, the one thing that makes situations like this worse is to draw attention to it. I think most of the folks on this forum have been around the sun enough times to be a decent judge of character, and that such behavior is not representative of the entire forum. Running someone out of Dodge might actually turn off some folks.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Am I the only person who thinks having a way to post a "disagree" about a post rather than just positive options would help avoid posts that violate rule #2? Didn't we used to have that?

I know, we should all be kind. That's fine, especially for kindergarten, but how do we let someone know they're being a wanker? Without that feedback mechanism, that maybe teaches someone to be less wankerish, I think maybe the aggravation builds and someone eventually goes off a bit.

Member A called Member B pretentious the other day. That's clearly not allowed, but it sure as hell felt necessary. Maybe a few well placed "negative votes" would've nipped pretention in the bud to some extent.

In lieu of negative reply please just respond with DH to communicate your feelings. ???‍?

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
Member A called Member B pretentious the other day. That's clearly not allowed, but it sure as hell felt necessary. Maybe a few well placed "negative votes" would've nipped pretention in the bud to some extent.
Ah pretension. My favorite of all the demotivational posters.

Pretension: The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you’re pretentious.
6517CCB2-9C90-4E50-BC10-A102833B0ED4.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Am I the only person who thinks having a way to post a "disagree" about a post rather than just positive options would help avoid posts that violate rule #2? Didn't we used to have that?

I know, we should all be kind. That's fine, especially for kindergarten, but how do we let someone know they're being a wanker? Without that feedback mechanism, that maybe teaches someone to be less wankerish, I think maybe the aggravation builds and someone eventually goes off a bit.

In lieu of negative reply please just respond with DH to communicate your feelings. ???‍?
DPR had down voting for about 6 months (?) quite a few years ago.

It was rapidly 'weaponised' by trolls. So much so, that even DPR got rid of it!

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
DPR had down voting for about 6 months (?) quite a few years ago.

It was rapidly 'weaponised' by trolls. So much so, that even DPR got rid of it!

Head over to DPR (if you can stand it) and take a look at any of their latest equipment reviews. They have three buttons to press: I own it, I want it, I had it. The last option is of course quite negative - and it immediately attracts clicks as soon as a review is published - even if the equipment hasn't been released yet.

People love to take the pee, especially anonymously (twitter anyone?). I think down votes are a terrible idea.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard

I think when "I completely disagree with you, you're off your chump mate and every single thing you post is really getting my back up" is reached, the best button to reach for is 'ignore'.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
.....They have three buttons to press: I own it, I want it, I had it. The last option is of course quite negative......
Funny, I guess I never noticed it used it that why, not that I ever pay attention to the counts of other peoples have, want, or had something. I just use it to help me keep track of my gear, what I have, had, or want.

And there are only a few things I've owned that my "had" is is because I really didn't like it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
At one point for a short while we did have a "SAD" option but I think the mods may have decided it was too negative and removed it? I usually use the WOW option and hope by context it is understood between when I am saying "Wow, that is neat" vs. "Wow, I don't agree with you".

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
kind of the point of posting is to get advice
But if someone is posting to get advice, how are they then to get that advice if someone doesn't in turn GIVE it (in an answer to a question or whatever)? I don't understand. I agree that there are tactful ways to give advice and poor ways, but it does require a give and take, right?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
When I give comments or criticism on a picture I try to be nice and start with what I like about the picture.
If there is nothing I like I will not comment or criticise. Because then it is not my kind of picture and I will have nothing to contribute.

Real Name
Andrew L
At one point for a short while we did have a "SAD" option but I think the mods may have decided it was too negative and removed it? I usually use the WOW option and hope by context it is understood between when I am saying "Wow, that is neat" vs. "Wow, I don't agree with you".
Using "wow" to express "wow, you're crazy!" is one of the main reasons I get out of bed every day!

Real Name
Andrew L
@PakkyT was waiting for that ;)

Screenshot_20210614-134738.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom