Are we required to post photos?

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Obviously we are not, but this has become something of a heated topic lately, and is sometimes used as a cudgel against some members.

I rarely do. Two reasons. My "good" photos over the years are of my daughter and/or wife, neither of whom want to be on display on this web site or any other. Secondarily, my other stuff is honestly mediocre at best. If I posted something it would be to ask "how do I improve this crappy photo?".

I'm curious what others think on this? Can someone be involved and perceived to be credible here if they aren't sharing their work? I certainly think so, though I will say that this place would suck sans shared photos. So I'm thankful for all of you who do share. Especially the good ones. :)

I guess the exception for me would be someone who says "your photo is not very good; I can do much better" or actively claims to be a great photographer. In those cases you better put up or shut up, but I can't really recall seeing that sort of stuff often or ever.

Here's an example of my work, so you know I'm not lying. I really love how I chose an angle that muddles the traffic light into my frame. Sorry, not even m4/3s. iPhone. 😳

4F21B3DC-56F5-4EE2-A29B-7F81A58B6202.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I guess the exception for me would be someone who says "your photo is not very good; I can do much better" or actively claims to be a great photographer. In those cases you better put up or shut up, but I can't really recall seeing that sort of stuff often or ever.

to answer your question no.

but………….

if you come here acting superior and giving advice (which 1/2 the time is not credible) and generally putting down everyone as photographers.

Than yes, put up or shut up.

I’m currently at work and on my phone or I post quote after quote from the individual being condescending and disrespectful.

Real Name
Melissa
IMHO, if you are contributing to the conversation (in a positive way), and/or learning from the images you see and the information shared, then lurk away!

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Obviously not required. And @demiro I know what you mean. For years my "best" stuff was either of my wife or kids and my wife did not want images posted. Or it was from weddings (many that I was shooting for others or second) or from B'nai Mitzvahs, so pictures of then 12/13/14 year old kids. No I'm posting those. I have posted some over the years, but mainly for older stuff so the kids are now late teens or early 20's.

I have posted more since getting into m4/3 since most of that stuff has been just for fun.

But all positive contribution is welcome and some critical contribution as well; when asked for by the OP. And I do agree that posting samples when trying to make a point or to instruct on how something can be improved is often very helpful; photography is a visual art after all.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think we should not demand others to post their photos, but they should not attack people who do post their photos either.

I have posted pictures here only for two reasons. To provide samples of a new lens (e.g. 12-45 F4), or to contribute to a certain topic (e.g. Neon signs). I have never posted pictures because I felt obliged, or because I felt that they were so great that everyone needed to see them. I think there is value in posting pictures beyond showing off, and asking for others to critique your work can be helpful. That said, I never feel like posting in "rate my picture" or "help me improve" threads as I want to be less critical about myself in at least one aspect of my life, that is the hobby.

At the same time I feel every photographer should think about what happens to their pictures, which are easy to amass in great quantities now that everything is digital.
I've been on a sort of pandemic-induced autopilot where I don't enjoy sharing or reviewing pictures anymore.
I still really enjoy the physical process of taking pictures but I haven't reviewed them for months. That got me thinking: What happens to these pictures taken during this phase in my life? What is the value of taking photographs nobody has seen after they disappeared from my viewfinder?
I believe some form of sharing is necessary. At least with our future self, if no one else.

And lastly the technological/gear discussions can be interesting and help people make informed decisions even if you don't post any pictures. This is partly a gear forum after all.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Posting pictures is not required. In fact, there are few rules here compared to other forums. Just do whatever you're comfortable with. I've never seen anyone get hammered for posting an average photo - heck - I post them all the time :)

However, OP already answered their own question:
"I guess the exception for me would be someone who says "your photo is not very good; I can do much better" or actively claims to be a great photographer."

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I love this forum. If you post a photo and ask for constructive criticism, then that is what you will get. Anyone who posts snarky/unreasonable comments should just move on. We seem be caught in a time where people seem to think they have the right to write exactly what they think even if it is negative. Also a constructive criticism from one person could be taken as a negative criticism the OP, our photos are our babies after all :-D.

I also think that the more you post, the quicker you will see which users to listen to and which to ignore.

Post when you want, take part in the monthly competition, the post processing comp, or even better the Mystery Object.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m with you Dean. I’ve been a member here for almost 12 years and have only posted a few pics and haven’t contributed much. I’m mostly a lurker. I log on almost daily mainly to learn about our cameras and what they can do.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I might be a culprit in this with my usual welcoming message to new people!

"Welcome to this friendly forum.
All we want from you is to see your pictures."

Maybe I am wrong welcoming people like that, but that has been my take on this forum, that it is for sharing your pictures!
Having discussions about other things like what gear to buy or what you are listening to is also a part of this forum.
But in my mind secondary, the pictures we make and share is in my mind what this forum is about.

Please don't take this as criticism against anyone who is on this forum but feel they have no pictures to show.
Rather take it as encouragement to take more pictures so you can show some of your pictures!

I am bad at taking pictures and sharing them, it usually happens when I have been on vacation, otherwise I am not taking many photos!
I hope to get better at this and use my camera everyday or at least every week.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Who is OD and why should he bless the farmers?

Ha, I just noticed the "ride behind" mower. Excellent!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I’m currently at work and on my phone or I post quote after quote from the individual being condescending and disrespectful.

[Mod hat]

Please don't. That would violate the forum's Terms and rules #2 and #3.

2. No personal attacks or insults allowed. In general, stick to discussing the point at hand, and not to attack, characterize, or otherwise comment on the perceived motives or perceived character of other posters.
3. Be nice. Rude comments have no place here.

If you believe a member is violating either of those rules, report this to the mods. Do not escalate the situation.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I usually don't post photos unless they are related to the topic at hand (samples from a FE lens, sharpness of a particular lens, etc). So in that sense, I guess the discussion is the ruling factor for me.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom