1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Are we Corporate slaves???

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dear Friends
    This has nothing to do with MFT forum but after Wall Street Occupy protests and then recent Olympus scandal made me think . I am just wondering that privatisation and multinationals creation has made all of us nothing but corporate slaves. They force so many things on us . We don't decide what we need and what should be buy.It looks these multinationals control our lives so badly that they make us to buy things . I am thinking that in this all era we all work so hard and MNC bosses fill their pockets with bonuses, enjoy lavish and luxurious life , and u keep on earning for them . Its all greed and only greed. We are thinking we are progression but sometimes I wonder if we are regressing . We work more , more stess and at the end someone else walks away with easy money .
    Please share ur feelings
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My feeling is this one won't last long :) I agree with the sentiment.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    My sentiments are that you always have a choice, it's just not necessarily always an easy one. No one is 'forcing' you to buy anything.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I agree. They only trigger your greed too. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree with everything you said, but my only vice is camera gear...so I don't mind indulging in my guilty pleasure!

6. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I think ignorance played a big part in it. I feel that in the past people had more courage to oppose wrongdoing. Nowadays we just play along. And some get their own personal gain too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Control our lives and make us buy things?? No.

There has never been a better, more comfortable time and place to live than here and now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think thats a bit over stated, but in the States at least, we've allowed deregulation to go too far. Our Supreme Court has even strengthened the fiction of "personhood" of corporations. I don't agree with anarchists that we need to blow the whole thing up, but the Occupy movement is a good wake up call to being a bit more adult on how we see corporations. And I make a very good living from the corporate world, and run my own business.

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    MNC try to dictate and profit from what is popular, its their nature. In our economy a Country and publicly traded company's must show growth or somethings wrong. As our population in north America declines unless we consume more per capita or have a very high immigrant influx we are destined to enter a dreaded "recession". I think we consume way more junk than we need to and to some people it is an addiction and it gives them a rush.

• Like Like x 2
  10. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I guess it all depends on where is your "here." Sub-saharan Africa vs Norway? Big difference in standards of living. And in much of the world, "who" is just as important... If you're a single mother, an ethnic minority, etc., it may not be so "comfortable."

• Like Like x 3
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sounds like time for a walkabout. Isn't that what they do down under when needing a change?

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well said! :cool:

13. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The big paradox for western economies at the moment is that if we don't spend more we will go back into recession but if we don't spend less we will not solve the debt crisis. The underlaying problem is that for too long we have relied upon consumer spending for growth but that spending has been financed by borrowing (personal debt rather than national debt in this case) rather than increased productivity. In fact it was personal debt gone toxic that triggered the banking crisis and unsustainable national debt was the result of propping up failing banks. Certainly in the UK this is the long term result of too much deregulation allowing corporate greed to get out of control, and I'm not making a political point because all parties have been equally culpable.

Austerity measures and public spending cuts are seen as the way to reduce national debt, but they result in less tax revenue being raised so the debt basically stays as it is. Increasing taxation on the average person doesn't work either, because it forces them to spend even less, reducing the income from indirect taxation. It's a vicious circle and one that is hard to break.

So how can it be broken? There needs to be a radical re-distribution of wealth. The problem with that is it is naturally hugely unpopular with the influential elite of society, many of whom are policy makers and politicians anyway, or at least have the ear of government. Good judgement is easily clouded by vested interest. In Britain the top 1% complain that they already contribute 24% of total income tax revenue and that is too much. I view it as an indication of just how wealthy they are and reckon they could afford a much bigger hit. During this time of crisis we also need to consider a tax on existing wealth in addition to income.

There also needs to be an excess profits tax on energy suppliers who always increase prices when the wholesale price goes up, but never or only partially reduce when it goes down. It's a ratchet effect designed to increase margins. To think that the gas and electricity industries here were once publically owned, but practically given away by reckless privitization (by both main parties) for short term and short sighted revenue gain for political purposes.

A disproportionate tax on the wealthy goes against all our capitalist instincts, but this is a difficult and unusual situation. Funds sitting in tax haven investments are not helping our economy in any way. In fact, many of those funds are ultimately used to purchase bonds that the Government are forced to issue to finance the debt. Why not just aquire those funds by taxation instead? Then there is no interest to pay and, better still, no repayment! Bingo, the debt goes down.

Requisitioning the assets of the wealthy will not stop their spending either, because they will still enjoy a very comfortable income. Increasing taxes for the poor makes them spend less because they are already spending 100% of income with no surplus to absorb the increases. Conversely, income tax cuts for the poor are immediately spent and ploughed straight back into the economy, increasing indirect taxation revenue at the same time. Tax cuts for the rich are likely to be invested rather than spent so do little to help the economy, at least in the short term. It could be argued that it will help the economy because increased investments help businesses grow, but at the moment there is little growth to be had because consumer demand is falling, not rising.

However, this is all hypothosis, because in our society influence is proportionate to wealth and if politicians were to impliment such policies it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas - ain't ever going to happen!

• Like Like x 1
  14. CaptainD

CaptainD Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm sorry, but can this thread pleased be moved to the appropriate category?

15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The biggest flaw in the re-distribution of wealth idea is if you own the ball you can go play elsewhere. The wealthy will put their money where they feel they will wield the greatest benefit for themselves, now others.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Is this thread against the term of service?:confused:

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No, it just belongs in Watercooler.

18. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Now this one is against TOS :rofl:

19. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Ironically, "destroying barriers between people" should never be against the rules!

20. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

The Cure

Its not complicated. Impossible yes. Complicated no. History shows us the natural condition of man. War and strife accompanied by famine and disease. 'Great' thinkers are ever telling us how to have a utopia on earth and ever failing to bring it about. The best effort ever devised in the history of planet earth was the US of A. Capitalism and the rule of law based on the Constitution. However those who created that constitution warned that it would work only for a moral and law abiding population. We have lost that so now we go back to the norm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.