Are we bombarded by too many images?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jaiho, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jaiho

jaiho Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2012
    Mumbai,India
    Hi all,

Do you think with the advent of smartphones,camera in every hand and art filters we are being bombarded with just too many images.

And the art of image making is getting lost in the process?

As photographers do we need to slow down at times and just enjoy the process?

Your thoughts please,

Jaiho

2. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I don't think the art of making an image will get lost as there will always be people like us who will invest in cameras and lenses and will stop and think about capturng an image or who will go out looking for an image to capture as in street or nature photography.
    There will always be people with phone cameras and point and shoot on full auto who will snap away without any thought of technique. However the odd person will look at their photo's and will think "I want to do better" and maybe do a bit of research and learn.
    That's what I did.

3. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    What's gone is quick spontaneous enjoyment of seeing the pictures. It might not affect those who spend time appreciating art, but after being bombarded with too much pictures, it's more difficult to appreciate the abundance of average pictures than when it's still in more manageable volume.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do think that there are a lot of people taking pics/making vids just because they can. Fine if they keep it to themselves or their group but a lot of their crap does end up flowing over the internet.

It just means we need to work harder and get our stuff up so we can balance the scales of imagery!

5. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    I was speaking to quite a famous architect and philosopher, and he was commenting how nowadays all architects design to that wide angle photographic view, from one spot, and create that moment - people get used to seeing those things.
    I'd say, yes, there are a lot of images, but it helps me see more of the world, from more people's eyes, and that doesn't make those really "special" images stand out less, or less beautiful. I think most would still appreciate a beautiful photo, or art when they see it.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, or if I'm managing to articulate myself at all. :)

6. I wouldn't say that there are too many images, since we all have the choice to view as few or as many images as we like.

7. TDP

TDP Guest

I take photos all the time and post probably more often than I should.

8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    People are not "bombarded" with images. People choose whether to view images or not. There are more available for people to view now than there once were: there is more choice.

Some photographs people take quickly and easily and serve a more casual purpose: others, people compose thoughtfully and have a more artistic or commercial (etc.) function. There is no evidence that there are any fewer in absolute terms of the artistically composed images being produced than there were twenty years ago: quite the converse, in fact.