Are u buried under ur gear?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My dear MFT/non-MFT family

A friend of mine went for a holiday and left his Sony alpha580 and couple of lenses with me . My room is full of cords , lenses , lens box etc etc . Its driving me nuts and I have packed everything away . I was excited to try a new camera for free but with so many things hanging around killed my excitement .
    Now apart from photographers who make living out of this profession , How others cope with huge pile of accumulated lenses and camera bodies ? I believe that u should have minimum but useful lenses and camera bodies . I have seen signatures of many members here and frankly if I gather that much number of lenses and camera bodies , I will lose interest soon .I also believe that if u gather so many things then at some point u get buried under such a huge pile of gear and the real photographer never gets a chance to come out . Ur talent gets killed and u become more of a hoarder and obsessed with ur gear .
    I love my EPL2 and next addition is only Oly OMD body .
    What u guys think ? How much is really too much for u ??
  2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I'm there. Just hit the limit. I have a pelican case to carry my lenses and E-PL2 and small accessories and I have an unfortunate, ever expanding, but still contained, wad of accessories that's kept at home.

I really need to keep it as simple and as organized as possible or it becomes un-fun. And, I have enough un-fun-ness in my life, I don't need it in my hobby!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Agree, I have a small Billingham Hadley bag that holds my two bodies (E-PL2 and E-PL3) and 4 lenses (Panny 20mm, Oly 9-18, Oly 45 and Oly 40-150) plus small accesories. The whole package is simple yet versatile, compact and light and I would like to keep it that way. So any new body or lens in the future will be at the expense of one of the old ones.... It is very liberating to not have to think what to bring on a photo trip, just grab the little bag and I have all I need...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am pretty good about being and staying organized no matter how much stuff I have for thisand other hobbies. Despite all the stuff that I enjoy, I dont carry that much out the door... So the short answer is nope.

It only buries you if obsess over the equipment and loose sight od your goal.... in my case to have fun
  5. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    The only things I'm buried under right now are my future purchases (I'm camera-less at the moment):
    - OM-D
    - mmf-3 adapter
    - Oly 12-60

I'm also buried under some future dreams:
    near future?:
    - Oly 45mm
    - Panny 14mm
    before retirement?:
    - Voigtländer Nokton 17.5mm m4/3 (there seems to be something magic about Voigtländer)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

I know how u feel it .I will be very anxious and tense if I have 50 lenses and 10 camera bodies accumulated . I tend to sell the one I have if I plan to buy new one .
  7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    I'm grateful to m4/3 for reducing the size of my outfit to what I have listed in my signature. In terms of both weight and bulk, it represents a considerable saving over the Nikon outfit I used before.

Gear acquisition syndrome is over for now, but in 2013 I will probably be looking for a replacement camera body that offers better dynamic range. I don't need more than 16 MP but I would like more than 10 stops of DR ... pretty please?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Colin
    I am also the kind of person who just wants to keep only one system with only two camera bodies and best lenses available thats it . I don't see any point of gathering so much gear that it starts giving u headache . Photography is fun and sort of meditation for me but if there is too much to handle then the real fun is lost .
  9. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    My micro 4/3 kit is under control (1 body, 2 primes and 2 zooms) but my DSLR kit really needs trimming... somehow along the way I've accumulated 2 bodies and 10 lenses *sigh*.

That's probably why I find myself using the micro 4/3 kit more and more.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Just My Opinion

Excepting those who just obsessively "collect" for the sake of it, I think it is quite possible to really enjoy your photography AND be a gear-head! In a very odd way, you have to divorce the two things. For me, I have a large collection of lenses - not so many gadgets - and a G1 body (plus a small film camera, the Pentax Auto 110).

I enjoy finding new lenses to try out on MFT and then making sure that I research the lens, find out about suitability and try to find a decent example of it. That is the first part of the pleasure.

The second part is actually using the lens on the camera. For that, I select no more than 3 lenses - but often take only one - that I am going to use for the whole day and I am forced by that limitation to look at my photography in a different way. The same things still catch my eye, but it is not always possible to photograph them in the same way. For a confirmed legacy lens fanatic, I actually travel very light. There is also a real joy to be had in returning to a lens after a prolonged period of absence, as happens with my Lensbaby, which I don't use for ages, then it isn't off the camera for days at a time.

Obviously, if I know I have a specific project coming up, I will take particular lenses, but that is a bit of a different thing.

In short, I think that it is OK to collect gear that you use, even if infrequently but you can't let it get in the way of what matters: taking photographs.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    I've got a 4 tier bookshelf that is overflowing - constantly trimming but the reality of that is that the trimming is to purchase new recruits! Currently I've got the e-p1, 5 dslrs and a 645 film camera, along with 18 lenses and 2 teleconverters, 3 tripods, a ballhead, gimbal, 3 flashes, 3 bags of differing sizes and a couple small boxes worth of accessories.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    To be honest, I've been waiting for the m43 world to hit a certain sweet spot so I could avoid the mess of giant lenses/bodies/bags/whatever. I've always wanted a decent camera system, but held onto the p&s until I was satisfied with the size of what I was getting. Call me lazy/weak, but I didn't want to lug around my weight in camera gear, and I definitely don't have room for it in my tiny city apartment.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    I have a few bits of m4/3 gear, but as a film photographer, I have a lot of junk lying around. Film canisters, developing chemicals, darkroom chemicals, trays, negatives, sleeves, lenses, lenses and more lenses, coloured filters, platinum printing vials, toners, the list goes on.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Too much?

How about too much control...? :confused:

Just sold one of my favorite cameras: the E-P3, and lenses: the OM 50 f1.4. I have other lens I no longer use (even if I had a camera body!) on sale.

I am now relying on being able to use my wife's XZ-1 until the E-M5 arrives. :redface:
  15. Bhupinder2002

Basically u r totally buried haaha