Are these over processed ?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by rich00, May 21, 2012.

1. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
  2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    PP on your personal pictures is always a pretty subjective thing, and comes down to what you are happy with. Myself, I know I can be a bit heavy handed with the colors and contrast at times, so my opinion might not be the best one to go on, ut I think most of these look pretty good. The first shot looks like it has a bit too much contrast, making the playground on the right in the background look a it funky. Apart from that, if you're happy with the results then I think they're good to go. Just my .02
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Over processed ?'s a very subjective thing.

I don't usually go for the strongly saturated colors look with my images. Perhaps I find that to my eye when the colors are overbearing they dominate the other elements of the image and become distracting.

I wouldn't say these images are UBER saturated or WAY over processed.....but for my taste, perhaps just a little on the strong side. But again, that's just me....looking through my images I find that I tend to desaturate a little if anything.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like 'em. Reminds me a bit of Velvia.
  5. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    I don't think so, although I would keep red channel saturation lower in the first 3.
    Nice pictures, 1, 3 & 4 especially.
  6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    There's an objective and a subjective answer to that question.

The subjective answer is : if they please you, then they are OK !

The objective answer is to check whether these images are printable as they are processed now.

I checked only the large file of the shot with the mom and two daughters by running them through the gamut warning of Photoshop (with a profile installed for my printer, but that's an EPSON 3880, difficult to find anything better) and all the red and orange are out of gamut (oversaturated, not printable) as well as some of the greens.

The histogram of that same file also shows blacks without any detail (glasses and hair of the mom, some shadows)

So, for a technically good picture, you need to lower the saturation of red, orange and green, and to lower the contrast, or at least brighten the shadows a little ....

I hope this helps !

C U
    • Like Like x 3
  7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    They're certainly very "rich" colors (hah, yes puns are the highest form of humor), but not incredibly oversaturated - I might tone them down a little if they were mine, or leave em. The proof is in the printing.
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't think so. They do not look like they have been worked that much. They look like Fuji film colors. very saturated and punchy. Since they're RAW files you can always go back and ease off on the vibrancy and contrast and see what you think.
  10. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    This is of course very subjective, but in my humble opinion these are extremely over processed. Saturation is much too high, in my opinion high enough to ruin the shots, which are very nice otherwise.
  11. Blue Esprit

Blue Esprit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    London, England
    They do look a bit oversaturated to me. Also the contrast or curve correction is a little high for my taste. It is of course highly subjective. It does look a little like Velvia though.

Have you colour corrected your monitor?
  12. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    (standard disclaimer: highly subjective, YMMV, IMHO, etc. :) )

To answer your questions, yes, I think contrast and saturation are too high on these. Cute pictures though. :)

13. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your opinions and tips.

Looking at these images again, the colour is distracting especially the reds. I'll take another approach and pay attention to the histogram.

Thanks again.
  14. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    i do think they are but as what most of the people say, its a matter of personal preference. for me, sometimes, over saturating works but not all the time.