1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are these lenses prone to dust

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by je83, Jun 26, 2013.

1. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I've been looking at a few 14-42, 14-45 and 14-140 panasonic lenses recently, all from 2nd hand stores and all three 14-42's I've seen have dust, one out of three 14-45's and one 14-140's (quite a bit) I've looked at have them. Initially I looked at the 14-45 and 14-140 at the same store and thought maybe they just didn't bother cleaning them but I checked at other stores as well and they were present in some lenses.

I don't know how long they've been on display at the three different store's I've checked, some of them have dust on the inside of the lens caps (front and rear) which I was able to get rid of with a blower brush but the insides had dust ranging from one spec to two or three clear specs.

The dust itself isn't such a problem, I've had dust on some of my canon and nikon lenses over the years and never had issues. I'm just wondering about these 4/3's lenses in general, I've never heard of them being prone to dust and I know they aren't supposed to be weatherproof or sealed.

Also, would you consider getting a used one with dust on the inside or wait for a better example?

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    My unscientific observation is that my Micro 4/3s lenses are generally squeekly cleaner than my Nikkors...

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    All pneumatic zooms are prone to dust, I don't see how mu43 lenses would be any different. Even weather sealed lenses could get dust in them from the rear element moving back and forth during focusing.

My 14-150 and 100-300 both have dust inside. A few dust particles shouldn't turn you away from a used lens (even a new one), especially if its a sharp copy.

4. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I guess it shouldn't be a problem buying used ones with dust. The lenses I've had with dust turn up on the inside never resulted in any IQ issues and the dust would always disappear after some time anyway, hopefully that's what will happen with these little m4/3 lenses.

I guess an isolated spec isn't so bad but I'll probably avoid the ones with more, like the 14-140 I tried with at last three little specs in close proximity to each other.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my other question, not sure what I'm talking about here so bear with me - because of the size of lenses and sensor of these mu4/3 camera's does dust or foreign objects affect them differently as on a DSLR or SLR film camera? At what point does dust become a problem in terms of how many little particles and size as well as proximity to the rear element?

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    These lenses are not air tight, and therefore, can be sucked clean very easily. I've used a vacuum, held up to the back of the lens, to remove dust very easily from non-weather sealed lenses. Removing dust from weather sealed lenses is a lot harder.

6. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I forgot about that, I heard people find success with that method despite the risks. I've tried that vaccum method with my canon 28-135 once, somehow after the first try I found more dust scattered around the front element, a few tries later they had moved back to the edges but were still visible. The large dust particle I had originally inteded to remove via this method however, had stayed in the same position the whole time. I guess it's different for every lens, or maybe I just need to work on my technique.