Are these lenses of any worth keeping for Pen E-pl5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SVENS1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Recently acquired some of my parents old photo gear, actually bought them as gifts back in the late 70's- early 80's. Haven't been used since 1990

Sold a few of the lenses on ebay and locally. The remaining ones there was absolutely no interest. Even at give away prices of $10 each. Sad as two are still like brand new. Remember them costing me a weeks wages each back then.

SIGMA 35-135mm F/3.5 - 4.5 MACRO A-III ZOOM LENS Pentax Praktica Screw Mount
    Aperture stuck wide open, worth taking apart cleaning? If working, worth getting an adapter for it? Otherwise like New

SUN OPT (SPIRALTONE) 85-210mm F/4.8 ZOOM LENS Pentax Praktica Screw Mount.
    Used but clear lens, no fungus, such as here

ROKINON MINOLTA MD mount 80-250mm F/4.5-4.8 MACRO ZOOM LENS
    Like New, don't think parents ever used it.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm going to say NO on all of them. They are probably OK, but all are cheap zooms from a time where even expensive zooms were not that great. I can't see what any would offer you over a the cheapest m4/3 telephoto.

Sad to see things hit the point of pure obsolescence, but I think these are there.
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Old 3rd party lenses really are hit and miss. Sometimes they're awful, and sometimes you can find hidden gems. The only way to tell would be to get an adapter and try a few shots. It's not an expensive experiment - you can get an M42 -> Micro Four Thirds adapter and a Minolta MD -> Micro Four Thirds adapter for $15 apiece.

I will say, manual telephotos like these are definitely the most frustrating legacy lenses to use. Autofocus and good image stabilization bumps the keeper rate unbelievably, unless you are willing to use them exclusively on a tripod.

Most legacy SLR lenses also benefit from stopping down at least 1 stop from wide open, which would leave most of those zooms slow enough to make the difficult benefit to find compared to modern zooms.

That said, you may enjoy the experience. And like I said, you might find the rare gem. I have a Tokina SZ-X 28-70 f2.8-4.3, which sounds like a miscellaneously crappy variable-aperture 3rd party zoom...and yet it has taken some surprisingly really nice images for me, and is quite lightweight and pleasant to use, especially given its aperture range. It's not as sharp as most modern lenses wide open, but stopped down it is very good. Likewise, my Canon FDn 35-135/f3.5 is also very good, but I guess it was never a cheap lens...apparently cost as much as a 50mm/f1.2 did at the time!
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have to agree. To me a lot of the old legacy lenses are nice when they offer something that you don't have in the native (digital) lens lineup or at least in the ones you personally own. Those are all pretty run of the mill focal lengths and apertures that most people already have something nearly equivalent in their digital lens collection.

For example, you can pick up a super light, tiny Oly 40-150mm (non-PRO) for under $100us that will auto focus and probably blow the socks off that Sigma one.

The macro lenses *might* be a tiny bit interesting to use for macro shooting, but with the aperture stuck open on that first one that kind of kills its macro ability since you wouldn't be able to stop down to get a large enough DoF. Also a lot of the old film "macro" lenses didn't offer that much magnification. "Macro" lenses from back then often had magnifications of maybe 0.25x-0.5x. Now, if you are into macro shooting, there are a number of lenses that the worst of the bunch start at 0.5x and many are 1:1 macro shooting.

But adapters are usually dirt cheap (under $10us) so not much to give it a try if you wanted.
  5. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Probably just take them to the thrift store. I already three lenses for the E-pl5. Oly 12-50, 40-150 kit lenses and 60mm macro.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Unless you're really keen on legacy glass, I think there are better native m4/3 telephoto zoom options. I know how much it hurts to recall the "week's wages" that were invested in old film gear that no longer rivals cheaper and newer products (I have plenty of useless stuff that fits that description myself).

Having said that, I currently own five m4/3 primes and no native zooms, but love the Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 adapted to m4/3 for its sharpness, color rendition, and build quality. Like all of the old F-mount Nikkors, it feels satisfyingly solid in my hands.

And it won't cost you even a day's pay (probably closer to an hour or two)!
  7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    A Minolta fanatic/collector might take that last one. Minolta people seem to love all things Rokinon. Spiratone is another brand that has some appeal to collectors. You might get your $10 yet.

No, I don't want them either. Old zooms are kind of dreck. I still have the two that I bought in the 70's, an OM 75-150 and Vivitar 70-210 series 1 f3.5. I keep them for nolstalgia and use them occasionally in the back yard if a colorful bird shows up at the feeder. I suspect I never shot more than 40 frames of B&W film on either lens. What a shame.