Are there two different Sandisk Extreme Pro around, or are these fake.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I just bought a couple more sandisk extreme pro cards. The gold colored ones I got from BHPhoto a while ago. The black ones I just got from Amazon. What do you think?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
[/IMG]

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Hmm. Even on the Sandisk website they are all the gold ones. The only black ones are the 280 MB/s cards.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I am returning these as I don't think they are legit. Even on the Sandisk website they only show the gold ones.

Ellsass

Mu-43 Regular
I have three different generations of Extreme cards and they’re all black. Some came from Abe’s of Maine and some from Amazon.

I bet they come from different production lines due to volume. Amazon sells a lot and probably commands a much lower price from Sandisk. Note that Amazon sells two different packagings (frustration free and regular) with different product images and different shipping times which suggests they’re physically separate. Walmart has sold “alternate” models of electronics for years because they are such a huge portion of many manufacturers’ sales.

I imagine that if there were a difference it’d come to light in reviews/blogs since these are high profile cards. I’d expect The Wirecutter, for example, to mention if there was a difference. My cards have held up well over time and I’m not worried about it. You need regular backups no matter what card you use.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I am in the process of feeling out this retirement thing and bought some extra for extended trips. I also bough a colorspace UDMA 2 for consistent backup's. I have always carried a laptop due to work and backed up to there, but no more work. :)

I have three different generations of Extreme cards and they’re all black. Some came from Abe’s of Maine and some from Amazon.

I bet they come from different production lines due to volume. Amazon sells a lot and probably commands a much lower price from Sandisk. Note that Amazon sells two different packagings (frustration free and regular) with different product images and different shipping times which suggests they’re physically separate. Walmart has sold “alternate” models of electronics for years because they are such a huge portion of many manufacturers’ sales.

I imagine that if there were a difference it’d come to light in reviews/blogs since these are high profile cards. I’d expect The Wirecutter, for example, to mention if there was a difference. My cards have held up well over time and I’m not worried about it. You need regular backups no matter what card you use.

JoJo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I have had my share of bad happenings with counterfeit cards and batteries. The ONLY company I buy from is B&H. They know what they are selling and will always back you up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the black label on the upper left, it's genuine and I got it a month ago in France.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I just bought a couple more sandisk extreme pro cards. The gold colored ones I got from BHPhoto a while ago. The black ones I just got from Amazon. What do you think?
Unless it came in a sealed package with a serial number then assume it is fake! If they come loose (in an SD plastic case only) then they are most likely fakes.

Firedogg

Have cash, will spend
Real Name
Michael
I bought a Sandisk 32GB 45MB/s card from an authorised reseller and reputable camera shop here in Hobart in March. It came in the proper sealed retail packaging and is the black label version. Got it for $50, so bargain for me.

dnightingale

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Darren
Mine have the gold label. Both came in authentic original packaging, so I'm hoping it's just that Sandisk have changed their labels, or they have different labels for different markets / regions.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just test the read and write speed. A fake will certainly won't cut mustard.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Mine have the gold label. Both came in authentic original packaging, so I'm hoping it's just that Sandisk have changed their labels, or they have different labels for different markets / regions.
The new black version is much faster in read/write speed than the gold now. The Black (Extreme Pro) version is 280MB/s while the gold is 95MB/s with corresponding price differences. See here & http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memory-cards/sd/. BUT, still make sure it is properly packaged because there are also fakes being peddled by some crooks.

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
i had the same OMG moment u did, but i emailed sandisk pics and what not and they said its real, its new design, but not updated on website yet. you can email them serial numbers to confirm.

dunno if anyone else has told you, didnt read all replies, forgive me!!!
*throws self on mercy of the forum*

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nowadays you can't always tell from the appearance or packaging if it is fake. The makers of fake cards are smart enough to exactly duplicate the original packaging and labelling. They even copy genuine serial numbers. The first thing to check is if the card actually works and if it is really the size it is programmed to say it is.

Fake cards are sometimes programmed to report incorrect "upgraded" sizes, so a 1GB card that failed testing might be sold as a 16GB card. If formatted in the camera (or computer) it will still show 16GB and will appear to work, at first. Obviously if you keep writing data to it, your photos will go into a black hole from which they can never be retrieved.

I use this software to test every card I buy:
http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html
It is rather slow but very thorough. It writes different data each time so it can spot if the incorrect data is retrieved. If you have any concerns about your cards, run this test. To work it, first delete every file and folder on the card. Note what drive letter it shows up as. Click on English unless you are German. Select the correct drive, then Write and Verify. If it is a large card (I have a 128GB card for example), allow a few hours, perhaps leave it running overnight. (Afterwards format the card in the camera - the program leaves it full.)

If it reports errors it may not be the card that is faulty. It may be the cable, it may be the reader, it may be your USB3 drivers, it may be your computer. But if it does work then you know you have a working system from end to end, which is what you want.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom