1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are there two different Sandisk Extreme Pro around, or are these fake.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rklepper, Jun 20, 2014.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I just bought a couple more sandisk extreme pro cards. The gold colored ones I got from BHPhoto a while ago. The black ones I just got from Amazon. What do you think?

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have 1 extreme pro Sandisk 32 GB and it looks like the upper 2 on the left. It also came from Amazon about a month ago.

3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Hmm. Even on the Sandisk website they are all the gold ones. The only black ones are the 280 MB/s cards.

4. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I am returning these as I don't think they are legit. Even on the Sandisk website they only show the gold ones.

5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    You can always contact Sandisk. They can check the serial numbers over the phone for you to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I have three different generations of Extreme cards and they’re all black. Some came from Abe’s of Maine and some from Amazon.

I bet they come from different production lines due to volume. Amazon sells a lot and probably commands a much lower price from Sandisk. Note that Amazon sells two different packagings (frustration free and regular) with different product images and different shipping times which suggests they’re physically separate. Walmart has sold “alternate” models of electronics for years because they are such a huge portion of many manufacturers’ sales.

I imagine that if there were a difference it’d come to light in reviews/blogs since these are high profile cards. I’d expect The Wirecutter, for example, to mention if there was a difference. My cards have held up well over time and I’m not worried about it. You need regular backups no matter what card you use.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Just contact sandisk...they'll set you straight.

8. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Yes, I am in the process of feeling out this retirement thing and bought some extra for extended trips. I also bough a colorspace UDMA 2 for consistent backup's. I have always carried a laptop due to work and backed up to there, but no more work. :)

9. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
  10. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I have had my share of bad happenings with counterfeit cards and batteries. The ONLY company I buy from is B&H. They know what they are selling and will always back you up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I have the black label on the upper left, it's genuine and I got it a month ago in France.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unless it came in a sealed package with a serial number then assume it is fake! If they come loose (in an SD plastic case only) then they are most likely fakes.

13. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

I bought a Sandisk 32GB 45MB/s card from an authorised reseller and reputable camera shop here in Hobart in March. It came in the proper sealed retail packaging and is the black label version. Got it for $50, so bargain for me.

14. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Mine have the gold label. Both came in authentic original packaging, so I'm hoping it's just that Sandisk have changed their labels, or they have different labels for different markets / regions.

15. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Just test the read and write speed. A fake will certainly won't cut mustard.

16. Ross the fiddler

The new black version is much faster in read/write speed than the gold now. The Black (Extreme Pro) version is 280MB/s while the gold is 95MB/s with corresponding price differences. See here & http://www.sandisk.com.au/products/memory-cards/sd/. BUT, still make sure it is properly packaged because there are also fakes being peddled by some crooks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    And mine are black and clearly state 95 MB/s.

18. Ross the fiddler

I would say (again) that if it didn't come in a proper sealed box or sealed bubble card with a serial number then it would be a fake.

19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i had the same OMG moment u did, but i emailed sandisk pics and what not and they said its real, its new design, but not updated on website yet. you can email them serial numbers to confirm.

dunno if anyone else has told you, didnt read all replies, forgive me!!!
    *throws self on mercy of the forum*

20. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Nowadays you can't always tell from the appearance or packaging if it is fake. The makers of fake cards are smart enough to exactly duplicate the original packaging and labelling. They even copy genuine serial numbers. The first thing to check is if the card actually works and if it is really the size it is programmed to say it is.

Fake cards are sometimes programmed to report incorrect "upgraded" sizes, so a 1GB card that failed testing might be sold as a 16GB card. If formatted in the camera (or computer) it will still show 16GB and will appear to work, at first. Obviously if you keep writing data to it, your photos will go into a black hole from which they can never be retrieved.

I use this software to test every card I buy:
    http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html
    It is rather slow but very thorough. It writes different data each time so it can spot if the incorrect data is retrieved. If you have any concerns about your cards, run this test. To work it, first delete every file and folder on the card. Note what drive letter it shows up as. Click on English unless you are German. Select the correct drive, then Write and Verify. If it is a large card (I have a 128GB card for example), allow a few hours, perhaps leave it running overnight. (Afterwards format the card in the camera - the program leaves it full.)

If it reports errors it may not be the card that is faulty. It may be the cable, it may be the reader, it may be your USB3 drivers, it may be your computer. But if it does work then you know you have a working system from end to end, which is what you want.