Are there aperture numbers you just don't like?

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Never look at numbers. Aperture priority and choice first of all as to DOF I need and second to what the combination of shutter / aperture signals me in the histogram. And even there priority lies in DOF I want.
It's composition that matters, not numbers.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Never look at numbers. Aperture priority and choice first of all as to DOF I need and second to what the combination of shutter / aperture signals me in the histogram. And even there priority lies in DOF I want.
It's composition that matters, not numbers.
So you just guess what aperture you're using?

As most of my work has been with a selection of manual focus primes for the last six months I have grown to hate clickless aperture rings, especially at dusk and dawn. With a clicked aperture ring I can simply count the clicks.

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
f/1.7 for me. Just sound stupid. Feel like someone who try too hard to be different lol. Why not f/1.8 like everyone else ? I can't stand it.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Back in the 60s and 70s I couldn't undertaand s ome of the apertures found on normal lenses for 35mm SLRs (and many fixed lens RFs as well). Zeiss, Nikon and Mamiya long had a 50mm f2, but their competition was all "just a hair faster":

f1.9 Miranda, Meyer, Steinheil, Yashica/Contax
f1.8 Pentax, Olympus, Konica, Miranda, Canon
f1.7 Minolta, Pentax, Yashica/Contax, Ricoh
f1.6 Fujica
f1.5 Zeiss Jena Sonnar

Next stop, f1.4 :whistling:

Other oddballs I recall:
f2.9, f4.8, f6.7, f6.9

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
@The Grumpy Snapper, post: 1346925
So you just guess what aperture you're using?

My second sentence should have made it clear without misunderstanding, shouldn't it. When I say aperture priority there is no guessing but a clear decision: either wide open or (more) closed. First choice as needed from the motif. Which "number" it is depends on the range of the lens and the range of DOF I want. And I don't have to count clicks either as I see the aperture value in the viewfinder (I never use the LCD). BTW your condescending undertone is not the usual style in this forum.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Back in the 60s and 70s I couldn't undertaand s ome of the apertures found on normal lenses for 35mm SLRs (and many fixed lens RFs as well). Zeiss, Nikon and Mamiya long had a 50mm f2, but their competition was all "just a hair faster":

f1.9 Miranda, Meyer, Steinheil, Yashica/Contax
f1.8 Pentax, Olympus, Konica, Miranda, Canon
f1.7 Minolta, Pentax, Yashica/Contax, Ricoh
f1.6 Fujica
f1.5 Zeiss Jena Sonnar

Next stop, f1.4 :whistling:

Other oddballs I recall:
f2.9, f4.8, f6.7, f6.9
Olympus had production 200mm f/5 and 400mm f/6.3 lenses and some odd numbers for prototypes that never made it to production.

800mm f/9
1200mm f/14

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I'm just here to say I use f/5.6 more than any other aperture. The haters don't know what they're missing.

Because I haven't published those reviews yet. :hide:
MD 50 1.7 III 12-60.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 III at f/5.6 with the Panasonic 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 at f/5.6

EL 105 P45.jpg

EL-Nikkor 105 f/5.6 N at f/5.6 with the Panasonic-Leica 45mm f/2.8 at f/5.6

EL75 EL105+P100-300.jpg

EL-Nikkor 75mm f/4 N at f/5.6 with the EL-Nikkor 105mm f/5.6 N at f/5.6 reversed on the Panasonic 100-300 f/4-5.6 at f/5.6

EL50 EL75+P45-175.jpg

EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 N at f/5.6 with the EL-Nikkor 75mm f/4 N at f/5.6 reversed on the Panasonic 45-175 f/4-5.6 at f/5.6

I use A on all my cameras. Since I pay good money for fast lenses,I always go to widest aperture. Now that I see that pictures are sharper,I stop it down a little. Sometimes I accidently go to narrower aperture,due to accidently rubbing the outside of the camera,or internal spirit of camera. I am fine with that. I just care about the outcome. Then I can pretend that I am a great creative photographer,like so many do.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I'm just here to say I use f/5.6 more than any other aperture. The haters don't know what they're missing.

Because I haven't published those reviews yet. :hide:
View attachment 796083
Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 III at f/5.6 with the Panasonic 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 at f/5.6

View attachment 796080
EL-Nikkor 105 f/5.6 N at f/5.6 with the Panasonic-Leica 45mm f/2.8 at f/5.6

View attachment 796082
EL-Nikkor 75mm f/4 N at f/5.6 with the EL-Nikkor 105mm f/5.6 N at f/5.6 reversed on the Panasonic 100-300 f/4-5.6 at f/5.6

View attachment 796081
EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 N at f/5.6 with the EL-Nikkor 75mm f/4 N at f/5.6 reversed on the Panasonic 45-175 f/4-5.6 at f/5.6
I believe the correct term for that is “sooo meta!”

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I just love F/4.5 and F/5.6 for the teles. Really easy, those are my primes wide open :) Stopping down one stop is also darn good. The thing is, you don't use or take what I take. Your lenses would be a brick to me and my lenses would be brick to you. Just that I happen to like my bricks ;)

Macro I'm happy with F/22 and F/32, so basically I don't have any issues with F/stops.

All the best.

Danny.

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
At first I thought the OP was joking (and I still think he is) but we are on page 2 and counting and people reply with serious answers among the sarcastic ones.
I can not understand the hang-up about a number, unless one believes in numerology :rolleyes:
I have several clickless manual lenses (adapted or refitted) and the ability to simply turn the ring and see in the viewfinder the DOF vary gradually is enough for me to prefer a lens where I have a preview of how my image will look instead of having to click the shutter and review. I have no idea what f-stop number an image was taken, as long as it looks good.
Of course if composition was not important to me than chances are I would focus on numbers more :)

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I believe the correct term for that is “sooo meta!”
I considered also focusing the Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 III at 5.6 m. But that would have been off topic. ;)

To stay on topic, I suppose I should mention my phone's camera is f/1.7 as well, so it's objectionable too.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The f stops that I hate are on zooms, not primes. And in particular the largest f stop that the zoom starts with. Anything above f2.8 tend to be a put off on zoom lenses of 100mm or less. Similarly, up to 200mm I am allergic to anything smaller than f4.5.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Nope, but I dont use anything smaller than F/11 as a rule, normally stops at F/8 or so. This tread reminds me that I need to set up some scenarios and shoot the smaller stops alongside the sweetspots to see for myself what is going on down there.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
At first I thought the OP was joking (and I still think he is) but we are on page 2 and counting and people reply with serious answers among the sarcastic ones.
This is for sure not meant to be a serious post 😂

I don't like 5.6 and 6.3 because of the actual numbers, nothing to do with performance or shooting at those apertures.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom