1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Are there any Digital Photography handbooks that you'd recommend?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sooper, Dec 16, 2012.

1. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Looking for a handbook to provide me with tips/information on taking photos in different settings and scenarios. It'd be nice to have one with photos in too when giving examples.

Can anyone recommend such a book? I've so far come across this one: [link]

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    you can always utilize online resources. this site has some helpful information
    Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School, you just have to put up with the commercials. the best way to learn is to take pictures and then review them for what story you wanted to tell and then work on the techniques to improve the story.
    hope this helps
    frank

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Ansel Adams
    The Camera

The Negative

The Print

They teach the basics of photography from subject to camera to output (mainly paper so some of that is dated, but still a handy thought process to keep in mind). From understanding how the camera works, light works, and how exposure works. I maintain they are fundamental, and fairly cheap used.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    These are helpful references on my bookshelf:

Understanding Photography Field Guide or Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
    Note: there is a fair amount of redundant material in these two books, you really only need one of them.

Also:

The Digital Photography Handbook 4 volume set by Scott Kelby
    Is chock full of asst general photo tips.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The Life Guide to Digital Photography by Joe McNally is a good start and is also available as an iPad app if you have one. "Light: Science and Magic" plus "Understanding Exposure" is all you really need, technically.

Then I'd look for books about the process rather than the buttons. "The Photographers Eye" by Michael freeman is the go to book, but other authors like David DuChemin has some fantastic stuff that's not as dry as the Freeman "bible".

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

"The Digital Photography Book" series by Scott Kelby. There are 4 volumes with number 4 having just been published(I have yet to get #4 myself but have the other 3). Lots of great tips for all types of photography and enjoyable to read.

Digital Photography Tips and Techniques | ExposureGuide.com is a great online source.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - "Understanding Exposure" is very helpful and a very easy read. Nice, clear explanations.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Great stuff, going to order a couple of books from Amazon now. Thanks

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X10 for Understanding Exposure. "Field Guide" has the same info but isn't as well written

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    +1 on all three of these mentioned earlier. These are all books I've read at least once and will likely re-read many times over as I grow in my photography.

Understanding Exposure

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book series

The Photographers Eye

Understanding Exposure is a phenomenal guide to the basics of exposure (go figure) and I recommend it to everybody. I've said it many times before on this forum but I literally became a better photographer 5 minutes into that book.

Kelby's books are more "tips and tricks" books in his typical humor-laden style. They're not about the "why" element of photography but just tips like 'here's how to get some better looking flower shots' or 'how to make flash photos look better'. Tons and tons of great tips in the first 2 volumes I've read so far, and I tend to go back to them periodically to pick up stuff I missed in previous readings.

The Freeman book The Photographers Eye is a more serious study of specific photographic and composition elements and how to apply them. I found this one extremely valuable because of the illustrations and discussion of fundamental compositional technique. In my opinion it fits very well with Understanding Exposure for the mechanics, Kelby's books for the tips and this one for composition. FWIW, I found the iPad app for it to be a nice way to read it, if you have an iPad and prefer that to a hard copy editions.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I'll second the recommendation on this set. Each page is a tip on a type of photo, or using gear in a certain way, organized into chapters about a specific topic. Plenty of good information, and easy to read.