Are there any Bakers on the forum?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Farcanalman, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    I need to speak with a baker, preferably one that was classically trained, an Artisan Baker!

I am allergic to wheat and desperately need some recipies for Spelt bread and Rye bread, or any other bread that I could try to make myself.

I miss bacon sandwiches and certain other pleasures that are only satisfied by the consumption of bread!

I am also wanting to try out starting my own Sourdough culture!

And no, I do not want to use a Breadmaker, they are nasty contrivances that do not produce a satisfying loaf of an edible/enjoyable state!

P.S. Or if anyone can put me in contact with such a Baker.
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I'd say your stuck with rice or potato flour.
  5. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Not quite that bad!

MikeR; I am luckily not as bad off as you, that must suck having to be so careful of contamination.

Grinch; No, I am not, the enzyme I am allergic to is only found in wheat!

I have investigated what I can and cannot eat in all of the disguised names by the food industry and luckily there are a few other, much more ancient and still used grains that I can use in bread making!

It is just problematic finding a good recipe for Spelt and/or Rye flour that is my current mission.

Mattia; I am looking as soon as I finish this reply!

6. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    I see you live in Swindon. Take a look at this web site for a flour mill in Wantage:

Wessex Mill

I can recommend their Wholemeal Rye Flour (100% rye) and their sourdough starter, both of which are available by mail order. There are excellent instructions about sourdough starters on the website, both for using their product and making your own.

Good luck, and enjoy!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Bang on the money!

Perfect reply, an excellent link!

Thanks CUB!

• Like Like x 1
  8. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    There is a pretty good artisan bread called Chebe that's based on a South American bread that is non-gluten and more importantly it actually tastes like a crusty loaf, real bread, not like cardboard.

Some health food stores have it, Amazon has it, but you can also buy it from them. They have pizza crust mix too and it's not bad. I was on a no gluten diet for almost a year. They thought that might be an issue for me. Didn't make a difference and I'm back to eating wheat now but I tried just about every bread out there. Non-Gluten bread can be tough to bake but it can be found in a lot of grocery stores now as well as health food stores so it's not tough to find it like it used to be.

Here's the Chebe...

Gluten free bread mixes and gluten free frozen dough - Chebe Bread

and here's the only packaged bread I could stand...