Are the GX1 and G5 battery chargers interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by drdtyc, Jul 16, 2013.

1. drdtyc

drdtyc Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Just got a new G5. It comes with a charger DE-A79, which looks exactly the same as the charger DE-A93 for my GX1. Both chargers have the same spec etched at their backs too.

Is the charger DE-A79 (for battery BLC12) interchangeable with the charger DE-A93 (for battery BLD10)?

Has any owner of both GX1 and G5 tried to interchange them?

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Sadly no.

3. drdtyc

drdtyc Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Thanks!

Will the green light on a charger not lit up when an incompatible battery is inserted? OR the green light is still lit up but the charger does not charge the incompatible battery?

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The contacts may not line up properly, or the cells may have different "terminal voltages" where charging is supposed to stop. Do not interchange them or even try to is my advice.

5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Try it. I can recharge the batteries for my GF3 on my GH2's charger, even tho the batteries are much smaller and the GH2 charger has higher amps. They just recharge faster. I just use a bit of paper to keep the battery in.

6. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Before you give irresponsible advice, as you just have, you should read up on what lithium batteries do if they are improperly charged.

I'm glad yours worked, but your post is wrong headed.

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Here are a couple of examples. Two things to know is that, one, lithium batteries are a dangerous power source which is why the Post Office doesn't like to transport them. They are safe enough if carefully controlled and neither shorted nor over charged.

The other thing to be aware of: lithium batteries are self-oxidizing, like dynamite. That is, the reaction does not require atmospheric air to support the sudden violent combustion when they break down.

This is why you should never recommend someone to mix lithium chargers unless you know that the batteries and chargers are truly compatible. Some chargers rely on reaching a terminal voltage (peak voltage) before shutting off but some lithium chemistries won't reach that voltage and charging will continue until either a thermal limiter kicks in (if there is one) or damage occurs.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5f0VCoFuFM]Lithium Ion Ionen battery overcharge & explosion - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0]Lithium Ion Battery Explosion - YouTube[/ame]

8. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Thats some very good information entro!

9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Videos made by people deliberately trying to explode batteries are fear mongering and irresponsible.

The lithium Ion packs used in Panasonic cameras are likely going to be the same voltage and same cell type, and thats what matters, the capacity only matters if its hugely different as the chargers will be designed to charge at a certain rate based on the capacity.

From what I can see pana batteries are built from Lithium Ion cells with a nominal voltage of 3.6v per cell, or 7.2v for the 2 cell packs. This means all the pana chargers are going to have the same algorithms in them for charging, constant current then constant voltage.

What this means is the charger starts at its rated output, in the case of the 3 different chargers I have its 650mah. As the voltage climbs to the chargers peak setting of 8.4v, (which is the fully charged voltage of these cells) the current starts to drop, the charger will keep dropping the current in order to not exceed 8.4v, once the current output has dropped to around 3% of the original charge rate the charger will shut down.

Overcharging can cause thermal runaway and exploding batteries, shorting out from piercing the cells or bending the cells will cause them to heat up and burn or explode, but these things are uncommon if you use the correct equipment for charging and look after your gear.

Panasonic make very good batteries, they supply the car industry with cylindrical cells, and I only buy Japan made Panasonic NCR 18650 cells for my LED torches, they have protection circuitry built in and are much higher QC and safer than most of the cheap china cells. They also meet their capacity claims, something that cannot be said of most cheap china 18650 cells!

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    "From what you can see" -- you are assuming and giving advice to others based on poor information. Not a good idea.

Perhaps you read about the burning iOS devices some years ago, or incendiary laptops and cell phones.

Fear mongering, my irresponsible friends, is a good thing if it educates people to hazards they weren't aware of. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and I can tell you there's not enough substantive information in any posts other then mine to make an INFORMED decision about mixing chargers.

Once again: charge lithium batteries carefully using chargers that have been designed for those batteries. Of course you may step outside that rule and many of us have -- but to do so without understanding the potential consequences of your actions is reckless.

To advise others that such recklessness is trivial is darn near criminal. I'm not impressed with your long and yet factually lacking argument. Best you not give such advice.

And I'll let you all argue it out. I've said all that needs to be said. Research lithium battery chemistries, nominal voltages with the different chemistries and so forth.

They are a dangerous power source mishandled. That's an irrefutable fact and advising people to casually change things up is just so wrong I can't believe we even have to discuss it. Shame on you.

[unsubscribed]

11. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    To be clear I did not advise anyone to do anything, I simply explained the makeup of the packs and how the charging works and said deliberately exploding loose cells (ours are hard cased) is fear mongering.

You have made a lot of noise, but have not said my info on CC/CV charging or the cell type and voltages we are dealing with is incorrect nor have you offered any 'engineered' technical rebuttal...You simply found one sentence that you could play on to attack my post,

As for the rupturing of cells in laptops etc, that was a few years ago now and it came about because low priced China cell factories were trying to make cells with the energy density of Cobalt and the price level of Manganese. They were making mixers of the two materials, and not doing it very well. The cells were failing because of this, one factory had to recall 10,000 cells they sent out as the cells were all puffing up (oxygen generation from plating of lithium to the anode) inside their packing boxes, brand new off the production line.
    I have been involved with chinese battery factories for over 7 years.

End of the day of course its best to use a charger made for the battery, but I also believe its of great benefit that the end user understands the battery topology and how it is constructed, what its labelled voltage means, and what the chargers specs mean, rather than simply telling them use something else and it will blow up.

12. SuperY

SuperY Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    Q: Are the GX1 and G5 battery chargers interchangeable?
    A: No.

GX1, G3, and GF2 (NOT GF1/GF3) are sharing the same battery.

G1 and GF1 and GH1 are sharing the same battery. (Not sure G2).

GH2, G5 and G6 are sharing the same battery.

And if you're reading this, Panasonic Engineers/Designers/Managers...
    How come you make so many sizes of m43 Battery!!!

Olympus usually uses BLS1 and BLS5 (they are also interchangeable)
    with their smaller dSLR/m43 cameras from E400 upto EPL5/EPM2 (sadly
    not the OM-D).

13. SuperY

SuperY Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    I think G5/GH2 and GX1/G3 chargers might be interchangeable.
    The positions of the four connecters are the same as well as
    polarities. However, they are in different sizes. G5 batt are thicker
    and longer. Hence, GX1/G3 batt might be able to be put into
    G5 chargers but will need some thing to hold it.

14. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    So they can sell more.