Are the AF Coordinates stored in RAW files?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by coffeecat, Sep 16, 2014.

1. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I noticed recently that by clicking the "INFO" button on my E-PM2 when viewing photos, it seems to show where in the frame the AF was focusing.

I've googled this and can't find any info at all.

My question is: Does any PC software exist (eg. a Lightroom plugin maybe) that can read this data from the RAW files?

Looking at my Panasonic G3, I don't think it even does this at all - is it maybe only an Olympus thing?

Cheers!

Rob

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    AF points are usually proprietary data that the camera manufacturers do not normally share with third party software developers. There may be a few exceptions, but Adobe does not have access to that data for Lightroom.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yycdave

Yycdave Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    Focus point information is visible in Aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    I've written some python code that allows me to access JPEG exif data.

When I get a chance I'll look into some of the raw exif output that I churn through with my code and see if any of it is tied to AF points.

Stay Tuned.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That's one of the things I missed when I switched from Aperture to LightRoom.

6. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    It's tempting, but I'm too heavily invested in Microsoft kit to switch to Apple at this current time. As a huge Unix/Linux-head it would be cool though. I spend a lot of my work day ssh'd into Linux servers that I use for number crunching, even though the box on my desk runs Win7.

7. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    That sounds intriguing. I've been meaning to try and learn Python for ages. My occasional scripts tend to be in Perl.

8. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Thanks Ken - I often ponder why corporations make some info available and some not - like Panasonic bodies correcting CA with their lenses. I realise it's all a balance between supporting the overall m43 platform vs competitive advantage against "the other guy".

Rob

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It seems especially silly IMHO since most of the included raw converter software provided by manufacturers is horrible for any type of workflow and cataloging.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  10. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan

Well....I've got some news.

No dice from what I can tell - I guess that'd be "bad" news.

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The focus info is there, but trying to get a RAW developer (Adobe) to include such in the their software seems to hit on deaf ears.

12. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Oh well, thanks for looking anyway!

Rob

13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
  14. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Interesting! I'm not the only person in the world who'd be interested in the information then!

15. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Weird coincidence, this plugin was mentioned on the phoblographer website TODAY...

:)

16. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    You're certainly not the only one. I'd love it too, but I'm resigned to it never happening for Olympus and Panasonic cameras. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it ever does.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    Germany
  18. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    Maybe I'm just too dense..but could you be more specific about where in the documentation you see the tags related to the number of potential focus points, focus area used, ect...?

I see that from the above mentioned Lightroom Plugin at least some manufactures do include the focus point information in the exif data, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which tags, specifically, store that required information (FYI I am looking at Olympus's .ORF files)

Thanks!

19. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    Germany
    I regularily use exiftool to analyse my RAWs. You find for example at least 2 focus field related infos... : AFAreas, AFPointSelected

You can even see this info in the exiftoolgui.exe:
    exiftoolAFinfos.

This is for example the command that I use to get my most important exif infos (alternative to the exiftoolgui.exe):
    c:\Progs\exiftool\exiftool.exe -r -csv -Directory -FileName -fileType -DateTimeOriginal -CameraID -model -LensType -lens -LightValue -ISO -Aperture -ExposureTime -FocalLength -FocusDistance -DOF -ImageStabilization -ExposureCompensation -ExposureMode -ExposureProgram -ExposureShift -Flash -FlashControlMode -FlashExposureComp -FlashFirmwareVersion -FlashMode -FocalLength35efl -AFAreas -AFPointSelected -AFSearch -AspectFrame -AspectRatio -BodyFirmwareVersion -CameraType2 -CircleOfConfusion -CompressionFactor -Contrast -ContrastSetting -CropHeight -CropLeft -CropTop -CropWidth -CustomSaturation -FaceDetectFrameCrop -FaceDetectFrameSize -FacesDetected -FileSize -FileType -FNumber -FocusMode -FocusProcess -FocusStepCount -GainControl -HyperfocalDistance -ImageDescription -ImageHeight -ImageWidth -InternalSerialNumber -LensSerialNumber -MaxApertureAtCurrentFocal -MaxApertureAtMaxFocal -MaxApertureAtMinFocal -MaxFocalLength -MinFocalLength -MeteringMode -ModifyDate -NoiseFilter -NoiseReduction2 -Orientation -PictureMode -PictureModeSaturation -PictureModeSharpness -Saturation -ScaleFactor35efl -SceneCaptureType -SceneMode -SensorTemperature -SerialNumber -Sharpness -SharpnessSetting -ShutterSpeed -Software -Warning . > d:\adhocNoBackup2\MK_exiftool_BestimmteFelder_CSV.csv

And this is my command to get all exif info: c:\Progs\exiftool\exiftool.exe -r -csv . > MK_exiftool_BestimmteFelder_CSV.csv

• Like Like x 4
  20. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Thanks guys, that's brilliant!

So I've had a quick play with ExiftoolGUI tonight.

It seems that the position info encoding is similar in Panasonic .RW2 and Olympus .ORF files.
    In both cases the coordinate origin is the top left corner of the picture.
    In both cases the values are reported as x (across) and y (down) - I only tested landscape orientation, mind you...
    For Panasonic, the parameter is "AFPointPosition" and is given as a pair of number between 0 and 1 (eg. 0.5, 0.5)
    For Olympus, the parameter is "AFPointSelected" and is given as a pair of percentages (eg. 50%, 50%)

I've not worked out what the other parameters mean yet.
    I did discover that deliberately setting the focus point on my G3 that I've had for 2 years was a bit of a pain.
    ...whereas setting focus point on my E-PM2 that I've only had a few months was quite easy.
    Even though overall I think the Panasonic GUI / controls are more intuitive than the Olympus ones.
    But I digress.

Thanks all for your engagement in this rather nerdy topic!!!

Rob