Are Sigma lenses automatically corrected in Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by aphasiac, Apr 5, 2016.

1. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    As we all know, there are no lens profiles in Lightroom for Olympus and Panasonic m43 lenses, as distortion and vignetting data is written into the RAW file metadata and gets corrected automatically.

However, does the same apply to other m43 lenses that have autofocus and talk to the camera, like the Sigma 19mm, 30mm, 60mm, and the Tamron 14-150? Are they corrected automatically?

I ask because there IS a lens profile for my Sigma 60mm in Lightroom, and I've no idea whether I should apply it or not. It specifically applies to the m43 version, although there's another profile for the Sony mount variant.

Also we've seen from sample pics that the new Sigma 30mm 1.4 has terrible barrel distortion when used with the Sony A6000, curious if will this be auto-corrected on m43..

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  3. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    I don't know whether they are auto-corrected in Lightroom, which I use extensively. However, I can tell you that the images from the Sigma lenses I have don't show significant distortion. I have the 19/2.8, which is a pretty good lens, and the 30/2.8, which is quite good in all respects: focusing speed & accuracy, color rendering, oof rendering, resolution.

There is one thing about these lenses that bugs some people, but that I don't care about at all: They rattle when powered off, because free-floating elements are an essential part of the design.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    No, the lens correction is not automatically applied in my experience (which I find annoying). There should be a way to save a preset and do this automatically, but I have never bothered yet. I just apply the lens correction manually when I've got a photo I like (except in the occasional case where I actually prefer the uncorrected image).

I'm no Lightroom guru, so if anybody can correct me here or add more info, I'd be very appreciative.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Correction data in the lens firmware is a part of the u43 standard so if it's there then it'll be passed into the file and LR will correct for it. Of course, it relies on the manufacturer putting it there!