Are SD cards really that fragile?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ThomD, Jan 18, 2014.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I'm not really asking that question - no they aren't.

I was poking around Amazon looking for an SD card wallet. Some of them are huge - built like tanks. Somebody must think these things have moving parts based on the amount of "protection" these cases offer.

OTOH, I like this one for its minimal size.

71J92kTEFyL._SL1500_.

http://www.amazon.com/XTMCASE-Piece-SDHC-Memory-Plastic/dp/B00CHKQ28U

2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    In my experience, they are definitely NOT fragile at all. I left one of my cards in a shirt pocket, washed it and then dried it — and it worked beautifully ever since (it was 2 years ago). I dropped one in snow when me and my wife visited her parents' cabin in the woods and could not find it — my in-laws found it next spring, and once again, it was OK and still works OK.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I'm not quite ready to move to microSDs as my primary card, but if I did, I like this idea

61F5Zwr%2B4TL._SL1500_.

Or even this.

91t6PN25EOL._SL1500_.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting cases. The larger one may not be necessary, but would make a handy organizer on vacation, etc. The micro wallet is very clever - maybe a glimpse of the future.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I like the digitalrev life hack - store the cards in the case formed by a body cap and rear lens cap.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    NO! Like stratokaster, mine have been through laundry cycles without damage. I see no reason to keep a multitude of cards containing data. I shoot, then download the images to a hard drive. When I shoot, I always bring a back-up card and adequate batteries to be certain I experience no problems. Only once have I had a card fail during a 4-day shoot. I slipped in the backup and continued my adventurer.

8. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Mine are tossed around, accidentally laundered, kept in wallets, no hassle. I do make a point if only using sandisk though. Heard some brands are more fragile.

9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    You should generally be ok with Sandisk, Lexar, and Hoodman.
    It's the funky brands like Corsair, PNY and some of the cheaper Kingston stuff which can really randomly fail. I had a PNY card completely fail on me after flipping it over on a table (i.e.: pick it up, turn it upside down, put it back down, lift it and insert it into camera, dead).

SD cards can take quite a beating. That doesn't mean you should give them a beating ;-)

10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

I have a couple of aluminum sd cases each holds 8 cards.

I only buy Samsung flash memory is really tough, see quote below.

11. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank

Hehehe.... "magnet proof"? That's the first time I've heard that one.
    What exactly in an SD card is prone to damage by magnets?
    They make a good SD card, but some of the claims they make don't really apply to electronic devices. 24 hours in water is pretty good though. I wonder if that is before or after you've inserted it a half dozen times and the protective plating coating has begun to wear.

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    In my experience, the most fragile thing about them is the lock. Broken 3 off now from various cards. Now i can't write to them.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I like the Samsung UHS-1 cards - great speed for a very fair price.

14. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    have you guys had any issues using micro SD cards??

15. Yep, it was the lock tab that caused an SD card to become stuck in my GH1.

16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The cards are not that delicate but they are not indestructible either. They are also small and can be easily misplaced. Having a case for them helps to prevent both. Cases also make things easier for long term storage and shipping.

17. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I tried it. I don't think the Sandisk adaptor I have which converts microSD into regular SD is allowing the card to run at full speed. It seemed pretty sluggish to write. Those adaptor cards are for "emergency" use anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  18. speedandstyle

From here - http://www.techhive.com/article/116572/article.html

I would say that Samsung is just doing some advertising hype - truth but not really relevant.

19. speedandstyle

I never even though about using one of those for that. I thought they were reading the cards in a reader that didn't have a microSD slot{many don't especially older ones}.

• Like Like x 1
  20. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    OK then if SD cards are so durable then why (in previous threads) was everyone so down on using them to archive important photos? Will they still work reliably if important image files are stored on them for 10 years?